“Unique, beautiful place, wonderful staff”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
Ranked #277 of 640 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We visited Bali during a trip with my parents, myself and my sister (adult children). We stayed in Rumah Kampung and Rumah Tinggi. My parents stayed in Rumah Kampung so that my mother wouldn't have to walk too many stairs, while my sister and I stayed in Rumah Tinggi. Rumah was a dream!! The photos on the website are accurate. And the lushness of the grounds makes you feel very much in Bali.

We enjoyed the fact that the Desa (Rumah David, as many know it in Ubud) was a little outside of the center. It's really only an under-10 minute taxi drive or 20 minute walk to the center, with shops and restaurants and sights (like the Monkey Sanctuary and the ARMA dance center) along the way. The center is a little overwhelming in terms of foot and other traffic, so it's nice to be away from it but also conveniently close. We loved coming back to the peace and quiet.

The staff were absolutely amazing. They helped us with all of our arrangements, from taxi drivers to renting a moped and arranging travel to another part of the island. And we really enjoyed them as people, so friendly. We owe them some pictures! I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 26, 2011

desa is the perfect place to stay - outside of ubud's busy touristy main streets, but only a 5 min motorbike (or taxi) ride away. the 5 bungalows are excellently furnished, high thread count sheets, balinese style furniture, open aired beautiful bathrooms, all surrounding green vegetation and a lovely pool. the staff makes you feel like family and the simple breakfast included in your stay, is delicious. you feel like you are staying in a high end place for a fraction of the cost. at first, i was afraid the location was too remote, but after an afternoon, you realize it's perfectly situated to drive into town and explore the countryside and avoid the terrible (at times) traffic in ubud. renting a motorbike is a wise choice - the staff can even call the place up the street and have them bring it to you. our cost was $40 for the week, and it was fine driving (even though for us it's the "wrong" side of the street). i would stay here on every visit. sak ming and the staff are great at making you feel welcome, and they go beyond expected to fulfill your needs.

Room Tip: tinggi was great for a couple! we loved it and were completely happy. saraswati and ganesha are bigg...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This is a really lovely place - relaxed, beautiful & cared for. It's a bit of a walk from the 'centre' of Ubud, but still well located. The sign for the place is very small so easy to miss arriving by taxi along the main road!

My room was quite big with a nice bathroom, kitchen & lovely bed with a proper duvet & comfy pillows. I wish I could have slept longer there! The furniture is tasteful & comfortable.

I only had time to stay here one night unfortunately & had to leave very early to catch a flight the next day. The lady was extremely helpful - sorting a taxi out for 6am & making me a very early breakfast. She was lovely & went out of the way to accomodate my needs.

Didn't have time to swim but it was very inviting :-)

I'd love to go back the next time I'm in Ubud!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We were 8 nights in Bali, the first 4 in Ubud at Desa Sanctuary, the last 4 in Jimbaran. Our time in Ubud is unforgettable. True to form for the entire island the staff at Sanctuary were happy, eager to help & very accommodating. Fantastic room, too good to be true price considered. Our first night's walk into Ubud was a bit hairy due to combination of jet-lag & narrow sidewalks but a few blocks up the road the sidewalks widened up and minute later we were sharing a bottle of wine over amazing authentic Indonesian cuisine. Ubud was fantastic, we miss it. We rented a scooter (which the Sanctuary staff organized) for 1 day of our stay and went exploring... We also found that inexpensive cabs were a great alternative to the walk to town as its just a 2 minute ride. We would recommend to anyone. Thanks Desa Sanctuary we intend on seeing you again sooner than later!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Josh P
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Whoever said the camera never lies didn't stay at the Deesa Sanctuary. The photos look tempting and the rave reviews sound encouraging. Don't believe a bit of it! Is this the worst place in Ubud? Quite possibly. Where do i start?
Well the place is a long way from the centre of town - a good 40 minute walk down a stretch of road without a footpath for a a lot of the way.Getting a taxi so far out of town is well nigh impossible so you're stuck with walking at least half the way. That road is a problem in other ways too. Deesa Sanctuary is very close to the road which is extremely busy and the traffic noise is non-stop. On top of that expect screaming chainsaws nearby and a cacophony of dog fights. It's seriously noisy.
Then there's the rooms. The one we stayed in was little more than a concrete box with a Balinese style roof. The floor was bare concrete. The bathroom was a poky little thing with a shower at one end, toilet at the other and a sink. Reminiscent of a prison cell. The toilet didn't flush reliably. The wooden slats on the floor were broken.
The bed was interesting to say the least. They'd formed a king size bed by pushing together 2 single beds then putting a mattress over the pair. The hard ridge running down the middle of the bed puts paid to any romantic thoughts.Unbelievably cheap!
Breakfast was a mean spirited thing with some reasonable fruit and not very good yoghurt.
So is there anything good about it? Well there's free wifi which at least helps you get on the net and try to locate somewhere else, which is what I've been doing until I took a break to write this.
That's about all I can say about it really. Other than the pay up front deal stinks.I'm now looking elsewhere and accepting that I've done my dough here.
Which makes me wonder about all the people writing glowing reviews about the place. Two possibilities come to mind. Either everyone writing them is a newcomer to Bali and doesn't know any better, or the reviews are a rather clever bit of PR trickery with people masquerading as contented customers, a trick that's increasingly common in the PR game.
So to sum up, if you now have any doubts about this place at all read the other one star review here, which is "bang on the money" and avoid this place like a dose of Bali belly. There are much better places in Ubud.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mark S
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

We are always sad to hear from a guest that they didn't enjoy their stay and yet, they never let us know while they were here so that we could make it right for them! We pride ourselves on this.

I would like to address this now since I wasn't given the opportunity while the guest was here..

Yes, we are on the road to Ubud and yes, there aren't any sidewalks. We like to point out, that this is Bali and not the west. We are in a small village 2 minutes by driver from the center of town, (very convenient) and sidewalks just aren't part of Village life. We arrange transport for any guests who ask for it. If you choose to walk to town, that is also an option. Taxis are plentiful, but must be "called".

Ubud is growing and becoming more popular and with that comes construction. Hotels and homes are being put up and renovated and we don't have any control over this.

Dogs exist as part of Bali life and I would recommend that tourists who are disturbed by their barking and fighting write a letter to our local papers...the Bali Advertiser. It would be of more help if comments were made about the dogs to the "community at large" so that this could be recognized as a Bali problem and not a personal "owner issue".

Just a note about the Rumah....The floors are polished cement and not bare concrete. The bath will be checked. Thank you for those notes. The King bed has been outfitted with an industry standard pad for interchanging two twins to a king bed. This is done in all hotels. We are sorry it wasn't comfortable for you.

Lastly, our breakfasts are one of our most complimented areas of service, ( and also our staff) so I will just close by saying I encourage all possible guests to read our reviews through and get a broader picture.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed only for two nights here, and i regret. I should have spent my whole 5 days in Bali in this hotel. Not only because i love the tranquility of ubud, but this place was really makes me feel home already. I am a domestic tourist from Jakarta. Bali is actually my country, but everytime I went to Bali, I never felt like i'm home because the balinese people respect foreign tourist more. But in this place, I was welcomed as a sister by the local staffs. And the place was... It's not only because I adore indonesian ethnic architecture, but the theme that brought by this place, ethnic meets modern, really comforting my stay there. Its ethnic and antique look alike interior design was equipped by modern kitchen equipment. I can still find electric kettle and fridge at this guest house look alike place. I get clean towel and toiletries as usual hotel manners. I stayed there with my husband and a toddler, only with Idr500k per night, we got anything we want.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The people here are fantastic and extremely helpful and friendly. We got picked up from the airport by Nengah who was as friendly as anyone we met during two and half weeks on Bali. The site it's self is set back from the road which means at night you can hear the road but to be honest you get use to it. You also need to get use to the Bali dogs! In the case of the road and the dogs this was the case in a number of other places we stayed. The pool is great and a welcome relief as walking all day and a very nice place to chill out. Breakfast was simple we normally just chose tea or coffee and banana pancakes. Enough to get you going and there are places in town where you can get a big breakfast cheap. The only criticism was the distance from town, on the website it says it is 20 minutes walk from town. Technically it is but to get to where things are in Ubud your talking 30 to 35 minutes walk up hill ( in the end being fit 30 somethings we accepted it as needed exercise). You can flag down a car but count on this costing 40-50K RP, don't pay more. The room was as on the pictures, though you don't get to see the 'kitchen' and bathroom on the website. These were adequate, the kitchen being enough to make a cup of coffee and a fridge to cool drinks. The bathroom was fine, a toilet, sink and shower. Just to remember it is open (don't worry it's enclosed enough to cover your modesty). Would happily stay again but next time I'm taking an international driving license in order to be able to hire a bike.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple