“Heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
Ranked #231 of 575 Ubud B&B and Inns
“Heaven”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I stayed only for two nights here, and i regret. I should have spent my whole 5 days in Bali in this hotel. Not only because i love the tranquility of ubud, but this place was really makes me feel home already. I am a domestic tourist from Jakarta. Bali is actually my country, but everytime I went to Bali, I never felt like i'm home because the balinese people respect foreign tourist more. But in this place, I was welcomed as a sister by the local staffs. And the place was... It's not only because I adore indonesian ethnic architecture, but the theme that brought by this place, ethnic meets modern, really comforting my stay there. Its ethnic and antique look alike interior design was equipped by modern kitchen equipment. I can still find electric kettle and fridge at this guest house look alike place. I get clean towel and toiletries as usual hotel manners. I stayed there with my husband and a toddler, only with Idr500k per night, we got anything we want.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The people here are fantastic and extremely helpful and friendly. We got picked up from the airport by Nengah who was as friendly as anyone we met during two and half weeks on Bali. The site it's self is set back from the road which means at night you can hear the road but to be honest you get use to it. You also need to get use to the Bali dogs! In the case of the road and the dogs this was the case in a number of other places we stayed. The pool is great and a welcome relief as walking all day and a very nice place to chill out. Breakfast was simple we normally just chose tea or coffee and banana pancakes. Enough to get you going and there are places in town where you can get a big breakfast cheap. The only criticism was the distance from town, on the website it says it is 20 minutes walk from town. Technically it is but to get to where things are in Ubud your talking 30 to 35 minutes walk up hill ( in the end being fit 30 somethings we accepted it as needed exercise). You can flag down a car but count on this costing 40-50K RP, don't pay more. The room was as on the pictures, though you don't get to see the 'kitchen' and bathroom on the website. These were adequate, the kitchen being enough to make a cup of coffee and a fridge to cool drinks. The bathroom was fine, a toilet, sink and shower. Just to remember it is open (don't worry it's enclosed enough to cover your modesty). Would happily stay again but next time I'm taking an international driving license in order to be able to hire a bike.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed August 25, 2011

and I have been to many places around the world, most of them more luxurious but none as enchanting as the Sanctuary. I arrived late in the evening and all my friends had already gone to bed. What I was shown to be my 'room' is the space on the photo for the Sanctuary on its page here. I was shocked to discover it didn't have any walls but one, there were geckos on the walls and didn't have any air-conditioning. I was ready to run but there was nowhere to go so I stayed and i am glad I did. My bed was a huge four poster with ornate carvings and a beautiful curtains that serves as a mosquito net. There were blinders I could pull down during the night that created privacy and served as walls. When I pulled them up in the morning my room became one with the lush garden that surrounded the villa. Every night I fell asleep to the sound of the crickets and every morning I woke up to the song of the birds in the trees. My four poster bed was like an island of comfort surrounded by nature and I loved that. Ubud gets quite hot during the day but the nights are balmy and nice. It even gets cool in the early morning hours and I didn't miss the air-conditioner at all.
The staff was extremely nice and friendly. If something was amiss or we needed something all we had to do was ask and we always received it. I very much enjoyed the Balinese ritual of placing flower and incense offerings everywhere around the property and loved seeing the pretty little baskets carefully left on the steps to my living space every morning. Breakfasts were simple but very tasty. We like fruit so every morning we got a plate of fresh fruit that tasted nothing like what we get at the supermarkets back home. I highly recommend the Balinese honey - a real delight. The pool was not big but very pretty and a great place to cool down during the heat of the day. All in all our days were tranquil, very restful and peaceful and every night cuddled in my comfortable 'island' bed I fell asleep filled with anticipation of the pleasure waking up to the next morning in Bali will bring. If you are into luxury hotels you may not like the experience of showering under the stars. However if you want to enjoy first hand the comfort and serenity the spirit of Bali has then the Sanctuary will give you plenty of that.

Room Tip: If you want air-conditioning choose a room on the second floor of the villas.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Ivrea, Italy
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I spent 3 nights in Desa Sanctuary with my family. We booked 2 houses (Lotus Lombung and Joglo Ganesha) and both houses were beautiful, clean and well maintained. The staff is very nice and friendly. There are some drawbacks that you might not experience in modern 4 stars hotel, but you have not booked a modern 4 stars hotel. Water heating system is not working perfectly. Too hot or cold… Breakfast is cooked on guests request. If your neighbors wakes up 5 minutes before you, be ready to wait for 20 minutes before getting your breakfast. You have to make your own tea or coffee, but it is not so difficult. The lone real issue is the location: not for the 20 minute walk, but for the road condition. Sidewalk are not available and you need to walk in the road together with a lot of bike and cars. Rent a bike (50.000 rupiah per day) or take a taxi (30.000 rupiah). If you are not looking for a modern 4 stars hotel book a house at Desa Sanctuary, relax and enjoy Ubud.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Our experience at Desa Sanctuary was nothing less than fabulous. So relaxing. The staff was amazing and took very good care of us. The owners made sure we had everything we needed, and they were very helpful and a fun couple. The houses are very stylish, clean and comfortable. An eye for detail. Our stay at Desa Sanctuary was a very different experience to staying in a hotel. We had a much more homey type of trip and were able to really experience a different side of Bali.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Loch Sheldrake, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Our stay was magnificent. We came for a few days and decided to stay for 2 weeks..We got lucky when the accommodations opened up at this wonderful resort. Real Balinese living, with the comforts of home.
Breakfast left nothing to be desired, the staff was more than accommodating and so, so sweet, with your comfort and needs foremost in mind.
The rice paddies, temples, and local flavor all added to the special stay we experienced.
We will be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We have been to Bali a few times; this is easily the worst place we have stayed at. I'm surprised that many reviewers here, who seem to glowingly review this place but not review other places, think differently. Where to start? The 'Sanctuary' (if you can ignore the traffic noise!) is located next to the busiest through fare to central Ubud. Think petrol fumes, tour buses and no path ways. There is an emphasis, when you arrive, on 'community', sustainability and even, in landlocked Ubud, of saving the ocean - the reality, we experienced, is as follows:

Airport pick up: An ocean saving 300, 000 rupiah. You can walk out the airport and pay less than 200, 000 rupiah at the authorised taxi counter. This isn't the Pan Pacific. This price is extortionate.

Payment policy: Pay in advance for your stay (within 30 days) via telephone with your credit card (hardly a secure option) or via paypal, which ensures you then pay an additional charge on arrival.

It is not standard practice to pay in advance at guesthouses, or even 3/4 star places in Bali. We met one couple who had paid in advance for a week, did not like the location, but felt unable to ask for a refund (read the website on their 60 day policy on this).

Accommodation: The two joglos are great places in themselves but one reviewer is right to suggest the place has the feel of a caravan park, its very claustrophobic, with all accomodation very close together and hanging over the pool.

Breakfast: I've never ever stayed anywhere in Bali where breakfast, involving a range of two dishes at least and tea or coffee, is not provided. Here you get one dish, and are expected to use the cutlery in your accommodation and even make your own tea or coffee!

Other concerns: The hot shower did not work properly. We were bitten during the night in the bed around the ankles. Don't think this was ants.

Location: Eat Pray Love territory? There are many more fantastic places to stay in central Ubud. If you want to be away from the centre, you can avoid this incredibly busy, polluted route from the south (Kuta etc) into Ubud.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Banyan255060
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
It's so sad when a guest has a bad experience and does not let our staff know or us, as the owners, what the problem is, so that we can actually remedy it. We always hope to have guests have a great experience here.

I would like to address this guests concerns, since I wasn't given the opportunity while he stayed here.

Yes, we are on the road to Ubud and yes, there aren't any sidewalks. We like to point out, that this is Bali and not the west. We are in a small village 2 minutes by driver from the center of town, (very convenient) and sidewalks just aren't part of Village life. Tour buses are now part of Bali life and we have no control over that fact..however after living next door to the Village for 5 years, I honestly can say I have never smelled petrol fumes in the Village, nor have we had any guest ever say this.

In regards to airport pickups, if you would like to take a taxi from the airport you can pay the amount mentioned..this is correct. The reason we charge a bit more is because our driver must drive 1 hour to pick up the guest, so he must be paid for gas and time for this. It is welcoming to have a friendly face who is there just to pick you up in a strange country, and possibly at odd hours, and not concern themselves with "how" to get where they are going. We find most guests appreciate this, and are willing to pay a bit more for it.

Regarding the payment policy. We require payment in advance exactly because we are a small B&B and not a big hotel. We do not have the ability to "re-rent" immediately and have usually had a clients reservation "on the books" for weeks (or months). During that time, we may have had other requests for the same house, but we have kept it for the "confirmed" guest. We work with guests to improve their stay, if there is any concerns, and they TELL US. Paying by credit card and Paypal are industry standards, and again, I can report we have not had any security breaches in our payment system.

Our gardens, pool and home designs which keeps to traditional Balinese, Javanese and Sumatran houses, have been complimented by so many people that it surprises me to hear anyone call this a "caravan park".

Lastly, our breakfasts are one of our most complimented areas of service, ( and also our staff) so I will just close by saying I encourage all possible guests to read our reviews through and get a broader picture.

Thank you for listening.