I rented a house near Kubu Merta last year, and when I had friends come visit, I did a really thorough search for the best place for them to stay around Ubud for under $35/night. Kubu Merta was by far the best, and my friends stayed for 3 weeks and were happy with it.
This year, when I came back to Bali from NYC, I stayed there for a week, until my house became available again, and I was completely satisfied. I also had two other friends stay there this year, and they were very happy with it.
- The rooms are lovely, immaculate, and have HUGE bathrooms with jacuzzi tubs. (There are 2 budget rooms as well, that aren't advertised, and have very small bathrooms, but are otherwise very adequate) You might see a geko in your room, or a waterbug in the bathroom - but these are part of traveling in Asia, and do not reflect that it is dirty
- The beds are clean and very comfortable (best mattresses I've seen at a budget place, good western-style ones)
- The whole place is maintained really well, nicely landscaped, super clean, and many artistic touches that are so "Bali" but are missing in many places in this price range.
- It is quiet - you can hear ducks in the ricefield during the day, and a symphony of frogs out there at night, but I was not bothered by construction or dogs barking as someone was in the reviews below - the construction project must be over (but in Ubud, there seems to be construction everywhere these days, so that's a danger anywhere). Also, it's far from the road (100 meters) so traffic sounds are very muted, and the area has very little traffic anyways
- The pool is really pretty, lined by gray stone, that gives it a luminous color, and has a big decorated Ganesha statue at it's head, and two huge frog fountains on the corners. There's a nice gazebo with tables near the pool, but no beach chairs - the space is a bit small for that
- Upstairs there are two decks where you can sit and enjoy the view of the ricefields - and in the mornings you can see Mount Agung and 5 other volcanos from upstairs - it's breathtaking, and very unusual to have such a view
- The staff is helpful and friendly. The owner/manager, Wayan, is very helpful, and speaks english, but is not always around, especially during the times of year when there are many ceremonies in her village (a very Bali problem). The other staff do not speak english, and spend much of the day cleaning - so if you want concierge-type service, this place isn't for you, you're kind of on your own.
- This is probably not a place to book tours thorough, given what I read in the review below - but there are many many places in town that specialize in that.
- Also, I can't speak for their breakfasts, but they don't have a professional chef or a big kitchen, so they will definitely be basic. You can easily order delivery from town (ie BaliBuda), and they will let you store your own fruit etc in the fridge there if you like. There is always drinking water, and if ever there wasn't (as apparently happened to a person who wrote a review last year), there is a convenience store right down the driveway, a 2 minute walk.
- What IS missing is working wifi - I get 5 bars, but can't connect. I got an aircard (some call a dongle) for my computer, and a data card for my ipad in town, and the reception was excellent at the hotel (Simpati is the best brand of card for Ubud, and you can get them for iphone and other types if they are "unlocked," in the part of town called Peliatan).
- FYI, on facebook there's a group called Ubud Community, you can post there to find out about good drivers and tour guides, as well as any other technical details for your stay.
This is not a full-service luxury hotel with highly trained staff, a huge menu, and bells and whistles, but it is very lovely and well-maintained. if you want privacy and beauty, in a very mellow setting (only 6 rooms!), it is great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Affordable Luxury Guest House: Bordered by rice fields, VILLA KUBU MERTA (House of Blessings) features four luxury bedroom suites, each with spacious en-suite bathrooms. Nestled in a luscious garden with a separate entry for each suite, the rooms are furnished with the highest quality teak furniture in a simple minimalist style. Wi Fi Internet, ceiling fans, unlimited drinking water, refrigerator, 4 poster mosquito net beds in every room – AC in 2 rooms. Enjoy the statues in the garden next to the swimming pool and the Balinese art works in the gallery, or relax in the outdoor pavilion (Bale) with a fragrant cup of tea or a cold glass of freshly-squeezed fruit juice. Mornings, you can indulge yourself with a sumptuous breakfast of your choice in the Bale. Upstairs in the bright, open-air dining/party room you can view the rice fields and six beautiful mountains, including mystical Mt. Agung, Bali’s highest and most sacred mountain. Climb up to our Big Sky Meditation Tower on the third floor to catch a cool breeze and maybe glimpse the Indian Ocean over the tops of the surrounding coconut trees. Villa Kubu Merta is ideally located within easy distance of Bali's many points of interest and staffed with a professional team trained in first-aid, food-handling and sanitation. They look forward to serving you with unsurpassed Balinese hospitality. Come and count your blessings! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Agoda and Ctrip TA so you can book your Villa Kubu Merta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Kubu Merta Ubud, Bali