“Food to die for”

Ranked #168 of 954 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Indonesian, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I just love good healthy food and I found it here! I have gluten and dairy intolerances and had no trouble finding something to eat. They make mylkshakes, no I didn't spell it wrong, the mylk is cashew mylk and is fabulous, delicious, and amazing. The ice cream is made from coconut milk so the drinks are icy cold an yummy. The chocolate shake with peanut butter and a host of other goodies was truly to die for and if I could have fitted any more in I would have. The food is fresh and fantastic with lots of interesting combinations to inspire even the fussiest eater. I think the toilet deserves a mention. It is a frosted glass box in the middle of the room. The basin is raised and gorgeous and there is a round porthole in the floor containing a sculpture. It is a real wonder they can get people out of there at all! I even took my camera in and snapped away. The café is on two levels so it is not crowded at all. It has huge tables and comfy chairs, and a very relaxed feel about it. The entry is a very pretty courtyard off Hanoman Street filled with lots of lush green vegetation. They open early for breakfast most days but late on a Monday due to rostered cleaning. The staff are pleasant and the service good, and the prices are great for what you are served.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,248)

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Finally I found a place that had more vegetarian options than meat! This place is quite charming on the outside and inside and really felt like it represented the spirit of Ubud. The food was yummy, we had the nachos as a starter, and pad thai and curry for main. All of it was delicious and fresh. The atmosphere was hip with many people both young and old coming to enjoy the food. If your looking for fresh clean food in a nice atmosphere than this is it!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had early reservations at Clear Cafe (we were going to be getting up at 1 am for our Mt Batur Trek). The restaurant was practically empty but didn't bother us since it was only 6:30 pm. The staff were busy folding napkins, and getting ready for the evening so to us the service wasn't great.

We started with Shrimp Indo Spring Rolls. These were average in taste and weren't rolled properly so they fell apart easily. For entrees Greg ordered Nasi Campur and enjoyed his meal. I ordered the Vegan Pad Thai. This dish was a good combination of savory and sweet. As an added bonus I absolutely love the type of tofu they used. The highlight of the evening was the desserts. Greg ordered the Raw Chocolate Pie and I ordered the Raw German Chocolate Pie. Both dishes had a terrific crust, sweet flavor, and were refreshing in this hot weather. You truly didn't notice that they didn't contain dairy and/or that they weren't baked.

Next door to the restaurant they have an open air shop. We did try the Vegan Brownie (moist without being overly chocolatey). We also brought home one of their bars and vanilla beans.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I've been to clear cafe countless times during both my visits to Ubud.. The first time here I came
with 2 friends and my partner and we all were soo excited about the extensive drink, smoothie and juice options. We wanted to try them all!! In the end we all ordered 2 drinks each and shared them!

The food variety is great! Suits many diets, is delicious, and is creatively prepared and presented.

Clear cafe has become our number one place to eat at. We would say "it's time to eat... clear cafe?". We did think to try some other places, but would inevitably end up always going to clear cafe. With such a large menu there was always something new to try.

My personal favourites: the green hornet, the Royal red Fish curry, the brownie with ice cream... YUM! And many more :)

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Ate here twice during our stay in ubud. Clear cafe offers healthy fresh good food and a versatile menu with many dishes giving an option for vegan. Food is top quality and absolutely delicious! Juices and other drinks can be a bit touch and go, i would recommend ordering something safe from the drinks menu. Overall a must visit if you love fresh food or are vegetarian!