We arrived from Seminyak and were greeted by Yan(Manger) and all the friendly staff at Chapung (means Dragon fly). Such a beautiful part of the world.
What can I say?. We've travelled the world and stayed at some amazing places, however I think this place is right up there amongst the best. And I don't say that lightly! The place is just magical. Especially at sunset.
The resort is located about 10-15 mins drive from Ubud in the middle of beautiful green paddy fields on the edge of a long valley. The fact that it's out of town doesn't really matter as we only went into town when we wanted to go shopping or dinner etc. and each time the resort provides a shuttle service into town. They can pick you up however most of the time we got a taxi back. Cost was about 80,000 RUP($8 AUD) one way. All pretty easy. I wouldn't recommend trying to walk into town as some say as there are some big hills and seemed like hard work after a few cocktails, and the roads aren't that good. Although we saw plenty of Americans with their Lonely planet books along the road attempting the walk :-)
The great thing about Chapung is that there is only 8 villas at the resort so there are not many people around the place which was just perfect for us. For example we were the only ones at breakfast every morning which was great. Our little boy was able to run around without fear of annoying other guests.
From the moment you walk through the door of your villa you enter your own little piece of paradise.
It is huge! Like a presidential suite!
The rooms are big with walk in wardrobes and indoor/outside bathrooms in each. The living areas are big as well. One thing to note if you don't like the elements, the living area can't be shut up and is open to the elements. However we didn't seem to have too many problems with mosquitos and bugs so perhaps not a big issue etc. The rooms though can be locked at night however we never felt scared or worried that our safety or possessions were at any risk. That's the great thing about Bali!
Our hot water wasn't working on arrival and this was fixed within an hour. Perhaps this needs to be looked at getting fixed properly as the electrician told me it happens all the time.
The furniture was very stylish and sleek and had a great feel looking out over the two pools (one big pool and a small toddler pool). The good thing we liked about the big pool was the step running along the entire pool which our little boy loved swimming along. We didn't worry about a pool fence as we had a nanny to help keep an eye on him all day. The villa is also very open and not that baby friendly however surprisingly it didn't affect us once during our stay. Just have to be careful.
One thing to remember are babysitters in Ubud. We organised one though the resort however when she showed up we both felt like we didn't want to leave him i.e. poor English, young, no kids and didn't really seem interested. So we told Yan the manager and he promptly got on the phone and organised a babysitter to come up from Sanua within an hour. My recommendation is to organise for your own babysitter in Seminyak or larger towns to come up if you want a babysitter.
Breakfast was good (Greek chef) and there is a great view from the restaurant looking down the valley. We got rooms service on a number of occasions and each time the food was good.
The resort are also in the process of building a large swimming pool under the main restaurant. When it's finished it will be amazing as looks over the valley. Be aware that there is some construction going on however it's minimal and not much noise. i.e. everything is done by hand by women.
Transfer back to the airport takes 1.5 hours. And yes the traffic around Ubud is some of the worst traffic I have ever seen. It was more like a traffic crush! Make sure you leave plenty of time for car travel and don't leave at peak times if possible.
Thanks to Yan for giving us good advice and making sure everything was taken care of. Thanks to the staff for being so attentive and friendly. One of the best stays we've had at a resort. I would definitely recommend this to anyone thinking of staying here.
p.s We can also recommend dinner at Naughty Nuris(get pork ribs) and Mosaic restaurants(excuse the poor décor but food amazing). Also, make sure you a spa at the Maya Hotel. OMG!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chapung se Bali Resort & Spa is not your usual Balinese style villa retreat. Rather it calls on contemporary lines and interiors to produce a modern lush Resort, located high in hills, 10 minutes’ drive from Ubud. Nature, minimalist, modern, intimate, spacious and design are the keywords to define the Resort's concept. The Resort opened in 2009, with the architectural inspiration of the owner, who is a professional furniture designer. Slowly, his vision grew with two restaurants, a large Spa and a wide infinity pool perched on the side of a ridge overlooking the Osh River Valley and its verdant jungle. With 8 large Pool Villas and 14 Suites with valley view, the Resort aims to offer a memorable experience : swim amidst the lush jungle in a large infinity pool, enjoy a new fusion Mediterranean-Asian cuisine and highly qualitative Spa healing therapies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chapung Sebali Hotel Ubud
- Chapung SeBali Resort And Spa Ubud, Bali