“Right up there amongst the best!”

Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa
Ranked #73 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Sydney
“Right up there amongst the best!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We arrived from Seminyak and were greeted by Yan(Manger) and all the friendly staff at Chapung (means Dragon fly). Such a beautiful part of the world.

What can I say?. We've travelled the world and stayed at some amazing places, however I think this place is right up there amongst the best. And I don't say that lightly! The place is just magical. Especially at sunset.

The resort is located about 10-15 mins drive from Ubud in the middle of beautiful green paddy fields on the edge of a long valley. The fact that it's out of town doesn't really matter as we only went into town when we wanted to go shopping or dinner etc. and each time the resort provides a shuttle service into town. They can pick you up however most of the time we got a taxi back. Cost was about 80,000 RUP($8 AUD) one way. All pretty easy. I wouldn't recommend trying to walk into town as some say as there are some big hills and seemed like hard work after a few cocktails, and the roads aren't that good. Although we saw plenty of Americans with their Lonely planet books along the road attempting the walk :-)

The great thing about Chapung is that there is only 8 villas at the resort so there are not many people around the place which was just perfect for us. For example we were the only ones at breakfast every morning which was great. Our little boy was able to run around without fear of annoying other guests.

From the moment you walk through the door of your villa you enter your own little piece of paradise.

It is huge! Like a presidential suite!

The rooms are big with walk in wardrobes and indoor/outside bathrooms in each. The living areas are big as well. One thing to note if you don't like the elements, the living area can't be shut up and is open to the elements. However we didn't seem to have too many problems with mosquitos and bugs so perhaps not a big issue etc. The rooms though can be locked at night however we never felt scared or worried that our safety or possessions were at any risk. That's the great thing about Bali!

Our hot water wasn't working on arrival and this was fixed within an hour. Perhaps this needs to be looked at getting fixed properly as the electrician told me it happens all the time.

The furniture was very stylish and sleek and had a great feel looking out over the two pools (one big pool and a small toddler pool). The good thing we liked about the big pool was the step running along the entire pool which our little boy loved swimming along. We didn't worry about a pool fence as we had a nanny to help keep an eye on him all day. The villa is also very open and not that baby friendly however surprisingly it didn't affect us once during our stay. Just have to be careful.

One thing to remember are babysitters in Ubud. We organised one though the resort however when she showed up we both felt like we didn't want to leave him i.e. poor English, young, no kids and didn't really seem interested. So we told Yan the manager and he promptly got on the phone and organised a babysitter to come up from Sanua within an hour. My recommendation is to organise for your own babysitter in Seminyak or larger towns to come up if you want a babysitter.

Breakfast was good (Greek chef) and there is a great view from the restaurant looking down the valley. We got rooms service on a number of occasions and each time the food was good.

The resort are also in the process of building a large swimming pool under the main restaurant. When it's finished it will be amazing as looks over the valley. Be aware that there is some construction going on however it's minimal and not much noise. i.e. everything is done by hand by women.

Transfer back to the airport takes 1.5 hours. And yes the traffic around Ubud is some of the worst traffic I have ever seen. It was more like a traffic crush! Make sure you leave plenty of time for car travel and don't leave at peak times if possible.

Thanks to Yan for giving us good advice and making sure everything was taken care of. Thanks to the staff for being so attentive and friendly. One of the best stays we've had at a resort. I would definitely recommend this to anyone thinking of staying here.

p.s We can also recommend dinner at Naughty Nuris(get pork ribs) and Mosaic restaurants(excuse the poor décor but food amazing). Also, make sure you a spa at the Maya Hotel. OMG!

Room Tip: Go for Villa 2. Close to reception and has got good view, 2 large bedrooms and apparently owner stay...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Simon19syd
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Simon19syd,

Thank you for writing about your stay at our resort. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your villa and spending your time with us. We are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Resort Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This is my first time to Bali with my husband as a newly-wedding trip and so unfortunately we miss our flight and we missed a day to stay in Chapung Sebali, very unfortunate because this villa is everything you want for a true tranquility experience ! Although the location to Ubud is really far from the airport, it took us about 2 hours drive and our taxi driver wasn't familiar with the hotel location, but when we reach the villa and look at the view, all the traveling is so well worth it. The rice field took your breath away and we were greeted by their super friendly staff, we also got upgraded to two bedroom villa since we missed a night stay there, very thoughtful of them. The villa is huge and it's so clean that its a surprise you can't even find a bug in this tropical outdoor area!!!! The pool is in great size and very clean as well, we love our bedroom and bathroom too! It's so lovely with the outdoor bathtub. One thing to specificly mention is we love the decorations, chapung sebali did a very good balance with European style of interior but doesn't lost the Balinese tradition, you feel hip and at the same time enjoying the natural rice field chilling at the living room! What an experience ! Last but not least, we had the greatest food at their restaurant, the food are all organic from them and it was sooooo delicious and it definitely surprise us because we heard a lot of our friends said that food in bali is no good. I still can't forget the taste of the Babi gulling with their organic rice freshly picked from the farm! One night is definitely not enough with this villa and we already are planning to go again very soon! Thank you so much for the experience, we can't wait to see you again!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank J C
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear JC,

Thank you for writing about your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed spending time at our resort. On behalf of the team, we look forward to welcome you again in the future.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Chapung was the chosen venue for a wedding of close friends. The wedding party booked out almost if not the entire resort. Chapung is an ideal rural setting for such an occasion. Unlike many resorts Chapung is a beautifully manicured series of terraced fields, with well designed landscaping and features, with well positioned villas. There are no steep gradients and walking around the resort is not a trek in itself, this is important if your party has a few oldies, or a bride in her heels and dress etc. You need to move around the resort with ease and Chapung has really thought this through.
The villas are exceptional, many with well appointed pools, and design furniture everywhere. Our room even had an upright piano, that was perfectly in tune! The accommodation aspect will not disappoint.
Service was very high and Jann the Manager made every effort to deal with every request as quickly as possible, without fuss. He was supported by a very friendly and capable team.
Food wise was good. Breakfast was the highlight. Well cooked classics. The rest of the menu was also of high standard but did need more variety.
They are in the middle of constructing a huge , look like a 30-40 meter outdoor pool. I am heading back to this place when this is complete and i will certainly be bringing my friends.
Its a beautiful place, that will suit travellers who seek quality and away from the crowds.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Anna K
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Anna K,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share these fantastic comments regarding your recent visit at our resort. I am happy that you have enjoyed the wedding. The whole team enjoyed it too.

We hope to see you again very soon. Many thanks and regards.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My mother and I spent a week at Chapung with a view to complete relaxation and an opportunity to be nurtured rather than our usual role of nurturers. Mission accomplished! The staff at Chapung made sure that our every need was met, and all with a beautiful warmth and smile that made you feel like nothing was too much to ask.
The villa we stayed in was simply gorgeous. Private and serene, from the minute we walked through the gorgeous carved gates into our own beautiful tropical paradise, we felt like we were in another world. The rooms themselves were clean, comfortable and conducive to relaxation. The pool and gardens were immaculately kept. As a nature lover I was happy to engage with some of the native fauna, including frogs, dragonflies, and beautiful, timid grass snake who tried unsuccessfully to hide from my roaming camera lens!
The food in the restaurant was fresh, and tasty. Enough variety on the menu to satisfy any cravings, and the staff were simply fantastic. Always greeted with a welcoming smile, professional in their manner, discrete, prompt and efficient service. The sambal and bread served with lunch and dinner is divine and I would come back just for this!
The spa...ahhhhh....I have no words as the girls with their magic hands simply reduced me to jelly. I had a number of different treatments ranging from a hot stone massage to a deep tissue massage, and everything in between. I have had many massages both here in Australia, and also in Asia in past travels, and I can honestly say these girls have upped the ante. I feel sure to be disappointed with any treatment I may get here in Aus now ;)
As a side note I also have quite sensitive skin and I found none of the products they used to be irritating in any way.
The resort itself is a little way out of the main town of Ubud, however there is a fairly well paved path that you can walk to Ubud from the resort. It took perhaps an hour, and my mother who is 70 with dodgy knees managed well. It is a beautiful scenic walk with some lovely little craft shops along the way to potter in and also a cafe if one needs to break the walk up. Of course the resort also offers a free shuttle service that takes around 10-15 minutes depending on the traffic at any given time.
We came to Chapung with high expectations based on past reviews read here on trip adviser and we were not disappointed. I would recommend Chapung to anyone who is after peace and quiet with exceptional service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank PaulandTess
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear PaulandTess,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had the occasion to relax in the company of your mother.

All our team is committed to creating the best experience for each and every one of our guests. I am also delighted to read that you have enjoyed our resort's concept of luxury close to nature.

We are looking forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed for two nights in a one bedroom villa in March 2013.

We arrived in Bali in the late evening from a Sydney flight. The airport can be pretty chaotic so I’d recommend arranging a transfer with the resort. Having their driver greet us was much less stressful than getting a local taxi and was charged at IDR350,000 (about $AUD 36). Totally worth it. Obviously being in Ubud, it’s quite a drive from the airport, around an hour and a half in traffic.

It was almost midnight by the time we arrived at the resort and the staff were excellent in getting us checked in and off to our villa straight away. The path to the rooms can be a bit tricky if you’re walking it for the first time at night but your luggage will be carried for you and there is some lighting.

You’ve probably seen the pictures by now and they’re true to life, the villas are just stunning. The outdoor living area and kitchen is big and airy and the pool is amazing – practically full size. The room was clean and fresh and the style is a mix of traditional Balinese and European mid-century. Sounds odd but it really works. The bathroom suite is massive with doors opening out into the pool, separate shower and dressing area. There seemed to once be an outdoor shower as well but it had been removed.

The views and setting in the hills is so idyllic you just won’t want to leave. And we barely did. It wasn’t our first time in Bali so we only left the villa to eat. The on-site restaurant is cosy but again with stunning views over the rice fields. There was some construction going on while we were there and the staff were very apologetic about but it never bothered us. The food service is probably the only thing that needs to be improved. Just lacking a final 5th star when it comes to wait service and food presentation. The menus were pretty standard but somewhat limited, but it’s pretty great that you eat the food they grow there.

I didn’t use the Spa at all but my partner enjoyed their massage treatments.

Overall I loved the Chapung se Bali and I’ll definitely be going back for more than two nights next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Seamus_81
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear connor200,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I am pleased to see that you have enjoyed your time at our resort.

As we are constantly looking for ways to improve our services, we have recently launched a new menu focusing on Mediterranean dishes and flavors. For added variety, our chef also created a special Dishes of the Day menu. I am confident you will appreciate.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was beyond what the pictures looked like. Pure heaven. Wish I could have stayed longer. View, Service, food, and rooms were impeccable. Can't wait to come back! =)

I visited in 2011 and my friend just returned last week saying it is 100% better since the renovation. I can't wait to return

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Costanza1975
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Costanza1975,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to read that you enjoyed staying at the Chapung Se Bali Resort. We are always looking for new ways to improve and deliver better services to our guests. For example, we are currently building a 30m infinity pool. When you come back to see us in the future, you will have the pleasure to try it out.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have returned to Chapung Sebali a few times over the years, it keeps on getting better! It's a great place to get away from Singapore for a long weekend or to celebrate a special occasion. We have stayed in a few of the villas, all of which were lovely "tropical style" open air pavilions for lounging with separate a/c bedrooms. What a welcome change from business hotels with barely enough space to move around! The villas are beautifully decorated in a modern, Scandinavian style - no surprise given the owner is a high end furniture designer with great taste. The staff is a good mix of Europeans and locals (including from the village next door) and everyone is really friendly and focused on making sure you've got everything you need (or could possibly want). At the same time, it feels very private - you don't have other guests on the next sun lounger over, or overly attentive concierges lurking around every corner!

We like the location because it's a good base for taking advantage of the activities in the Ubud area - biking, rafting, yoga, etc. It's only a 10 min. walk (or shuttle ride) to town, but you're away from the heat and noise in the middle of rice paddies by the river! Each time we come back the place has grown and offers even more options. We especially love the new restaurant - fresh, organic fusion food, generous servings and a to-die-for location above the river. The lady who runs the spa has developed a really complete "menu," has great hands and also uses natural products. While the private villa pools are great for relaxing, we're looking forward to getting a few laps in the huge common swimming pool next time we come!

Just a word on some of the earlier comments on the fauna - this is the tropics, so everything flourishes, including the bugs and frogs. I think the resort does a great job keeping the bugs at bay naturally with citronella spray and the frogs also help with that!

So, great place, beautiful villas, yummy food, relaxing spa and friendly staff. Highly recommended - we'll be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank vazisp
Dear vazisp,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to read comments from one of our regular guests. You are right, we always keep on improving and developing. Yet, we will always keep our tranquil and discreet identity and our service will always be attentive and personal.

We are looking forward to welcome you back for your next getaway from Singapore.