“whats not to like?”

Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa
Ranked #85 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Chapung was the chosen venue for a wedding of close friends. The wedding party booked out almost if not the entire resort. Chapung is an ideal rural setting for such an occasion. Unlike many resorts Chapung is a beautifully manicured series of terraced fields, with well designed landscaping and features, with well positioned villas. There are no steep gradients and walking around the resort is not a trek in itself, this is important if your party has a few oldies, or a bride in her heels and dress etc. You need to move around the resort with ease and Chapung has really thought this through.
The villas are exceptional, many with well appointed pools, and design furniture everywhere. Our room even had an upright piano, that was perfectly in tune! The accommodation aspect will not disappoint.
Service was very high and Jann the Manager made every effort to deal with every request as quickly as possible, without fuss. He was supported by a very friendly and capable team.
Food wise was good. Breakfast was the highlight. Well cooked classics. The rest of the menu was also of high standard but did need more variety.
They are in the middle of constructing a huge , look like a 30-40 meter outdoor pool. I am heading back to this place when this is complete and i will certainly be bringing my friends.
Its a beautiful place, that will suit travellers who seek quality and away from the crowds.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Anna K
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Anna K,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share these fantastic comments regarding your recent visit at our resort. I am happy that you have enjoyed the wedding. The whole team enjoyed it too.

We hope to see you again very soon. Many thanks and regards.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My mother and I spent a week at Chapung with a view to complete relaxation and an opportunity to be nurtured rather than our usual role of nurturers. Mission accomplished! The staff at Chapung made sure that our every need was met, and all with a beautiful warmth and smile that made you feel like nothing was too much to ask.
The villa we stayed in was simply gorgeous. Private and serene, from the minute we walked through the gorgeous carved gates into our own beautiful tropical paradise, we felt like we were in another world. The rooms themselves were clean, comfortable and conducive to relaxation. The pool and gardens were immaculately kept. As a nature lover I was happy to engage with some of the native fauna, including frogs, dragonflies, and beautiful, timid grass snake who tried unsuccessfully to hide from my roaming camera lens!
The food in the restaurant was fresh, and tasty. Enough variety on the menu to satisfy any cravings, and the staff were simply fantastic. Always greeted with a welcoming smile, professional in their manner, discrete, prompt and efficient service. The sambal and bread served with lunch and dinner is divine and I would come back just for this!
The spa...ahhhhh....I have no words as the girls with their magic hands simply reduced me to jelly. I had a number of different treatments ranging from a hot stone massage to a deep tissue massage, and everything in between. I have had many massages both here in Australia, and also in Asia in past travels, and I can honestly say these girls have upped the ante. I feel sure to be disappointed with any treatment I may get here in Aus now ;)
As a side note I also have quite sensitive skin and I found none of the products they used to be irritating in any way.
The resort itself is a little way out of the main town of Ubud, however there is a fairly well paved path that you can walk to Ubud from the resort. It took perhaps an hour, and my mother who is 70 with dodgy knees managed well. It is a beautiful scenic walk with some lovely little craft shops along the way to potter in and also a cafe if one needs to break the walk up. Of course the resort also offers a free shuttle service that takes around 10-15 minutes depending on the traffic at any given time.
We came to Chapung with high expectations based on past reviews read here on trip adviser and we were not disappointed. I would recommend Chapung to anyone who is after peace and quiet with exceptional service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank PaulandTess
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear PaulandTess,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had the occasion to relax in the company of your mother.

All our team is committed to creating the best experience for each and every one of our guests. I am also delighted to read that you have enjoyed our resort's concept of luxury close to nature.

We are looking forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed for two nights in a one bedroom villa in March 2013.

We arrived in Bali in the late evening from a Sydney flight. The airport can be pretty chaotic so I’d recommend arranging a transfer with the resort. Having their driver greet us was much less stressful than getting a local taxi and was charged at IDR350,000 (about $AUD 36). Totally worth it. Obviously being in Ubud, it’s quite a drive from the airport, around an hour and a half in traffic.

It was almost midnight by the time we arrived at the resort and the staff were excellent in getting us checked in and off to our villa straight away. The path to the rooms can be a bit tricky if you’re walking it for the first time at night but your luggage will be carried for you and there is some lighting.

You’ve probably seen the pictures by now and they’re true to life, the villas are just stunning. The outdoor living area and kitchen is big and airy and the pool is amazing – practically full size. The room was clean and fresh and the style is a mix of traditional Balinese and European mid-century. Sounds odd but it really works. The bathroom suite is massive with doors opening out into the pool, separate shower and dressing area. There seemed to once be an outdoor shower as well but it had been removed.

The views and setting in the hills is so idyllic you just won’t want to leave. And we barely did. It wasn’t our first time in Bali so we only left the villa to eat. The on-site restaurant is cosy but again with stunning views over the rice fields. There was some construction going on while we were there and the staff were very apologetic about but it never bothered us. The food service is probably the only thing that needs to be improved. Just lacking a final 5th star when it comes to wait service and food presentation. The menus were pretty standard but somewhat limited, but it’s pretty great that you eat the food they grow there.

I didn’t use the Spa at all but my partner enjoyed their massage treatments.

Overall I loved the Chapung se Bali and I’ll definitely be going back for more than two nights next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Seamus_81
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear connor200,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I am pleased to see that you have enjoyed your time at our resort.

As we are constantly looking for ways to improve our services, we have recently launched a new menu focusing on Mediterranean dishes and flavors. For added variety, our chef also created a special Dishes of the Day menu. I am confident you will appreciate.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was beyond what the pictures looked like. Pure heaven. Wish I could have stayed longer. View, Service, food, and rooms were impeccable. Can't wait to come back! =)

I visited in 2011 and my friend just returned last week saying it is 100% better since the renovation. I can't wait to return

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Costanza1975
Chapung, Manager at Chapung SeBali Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Dear Costanza1975,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to read that you enjoyed staying at the Chapung Se Bali Resort. We are always looking for new ways to improve and deliver better services to our guests. For example, we are currently building a 30m infinity pool. When you come back to see us in the future, you will have the pleasure to try it out.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have returned to Chapung Sebali a few times over the years, it keeps on getting better! It's a great place to get away from Singapore for a long weekend or to celebrate a special occasion. We have stayed in a few of the villas, all of which were lovely "tropical style" open air pavilions for lounging with separate a/c bedrooms. What a welcome change from business hotels with barely enough space to move around! The villas are beautifully decorated in a modern, Scandinavian style - no surprise given the owner is a high end furniture designer with great taste. The staff is a good mix of Europeans and locals (including from the village next door) and everyone is really friendly and focused on making sure you've got everything you need (or could possibly want). At the same time, it feels very private - you don't have other guests on the next sun lounger over, or overly attentive concierges lurking around every corner!

We like the location because it's a good base for taking advantage of the activities in the Ubud area - biking, rafting, yoga, etc. It's only a 10 min. walk (or shuttle ride) to town, but you're away from the heat and noise in the middle of rice paddies by the river! Each time we come back the place has grown and offers even more options. We especially love the new restaurant - fresh, organic fusion food, generous servings and a to-die-for location above the river. The lady who runs the spa has developed a really complete "menu," has great hands and also uses natural products. While the private villa pools are great for relaxing, we're looking forward to getting a few laps in the huge common swimming pool next time we come!

Just a word on some of the earlier comments on the fauna - this is the tropics, so everything flourishes, including the bugs and frogs. I think the resort does a great job keeping the bugs at bay naturally with citronella spray and the frogs also help with that!

So, great place, beautiful villas, yummy food, relaxing spa and friendly staff. Highly recommended - we'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank vazisp

Dear vazisp,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am happy to read comments from one of our regular guests. You are right, we always keep on improving and developing. Yet, we will always keep our tranquil and discreet identity and our service will always be attentive and personal.

We are looking forward to welcome you back for your next getaway from Singapore.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

As an architect, I appreciate the beautiful design and attention to detail of Chapung Se Bali. From the careful siting of the buildings in the terraced landscape to the design of the villas and the hotel pavilions themselves, with their delightful gardens and views of the rice patties and forest beyond (not to mention the amazing contemporary furniture collection!), the whole place betrays an unrivaled attention to detail and a passion for design that fuses local vernacular tradition with the best aspects of modernity. My stay here was simply great, and I found myself impressed by the special qualities of this place. The only drawback is its somewhat distant location from Ubud, although in another regard this can also be seen as yet another of its virtues.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank architourist101

Dear architourist101,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I am pleased to hear thatyou appreciated the design of our resort. We are proud of our concept, modern elegance close to nature, and spend a lot of time to carefully choose every detail in design and decoration. Next time you come to see us, you will see our beautiful new pool and bar area.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We are in our 4th day here and this is a really tranquil environment in Ubud in a nice location with rice paddies and what looks like a big jungle basin view from the restaurant. The best part about it is the people who serve you. I would almost give a 4 star because I don't think any of these place are "The Four Seasons" but the service made me give it a 5-star. Starting with El who is the very nice Greek woman who manages the place. Her Uncle owns it and built it 7 years ago. We are staying in Villa 4 which is one of the two bedroom Villas. Villa 1 is also a 2 BR Villa and Villa 2 is by far the biggest most luxurious 2 BR villa (called The Residence as her Uncle used to live in it as the property was being built). 7 years ago Villas 1 - 4 were built and all are 2BR except Villa 3 which is a 1 BR. Villas 5, 6, 7, and 8 are all 1 BR villas and were built 3 years ago. I would say they are a little nicer than the 2BR Villas by maybe 15% but my family of 4 were very happy in Villa 4.

If you only need 1 BR, Villa 6 is by far the best villa on the property. It was the old SPA location and was converted into a Villa. It has great views on both sides and is quite luxurious.

If you are two couples or a family with elder kids, go for the only two attached one bedroom villas on the property (Villas 7 and 8). You can leave the interconnected door open and both have very big luxurious spaces with two pools.

We are staying here now and there are only 2 or 3 total villas rented so you might be able to swing Villas 7 and 8 together for close to the price of a 2 BR Villa. We went through Orbitz (who I am not a huge fan of) and rented for $450 per night for a 2 BR Villa.

They obviously need to make some money but if I were El I would rather have the place fully booked than not.

The breakfasts are included and are really good. The fresh fruit juices and smoothies really blow be away. It is the best Orange Juice I have ever had. The eggs are great (try the Greek Omelet) and the Vanilla French Toast is excellent as well.

A driver is not included but since we are one of only a few people staying they have been very generous driving us anywhere we would like within a half hour for free. Town center in Ubud is 15 minutes away.

The Chapung Sebali Cafe is very good and actually reasonably priced. There are many excellent local lunch and dinner places in town too.

Things we have done so far:

River Rafting on the Telaga Waja River - The cost was $140 for a family of four including transportation to the river and home (1.5 hours each way) and a 2.5 hour river rafting day and lunch afterwards. Get your tickets in the Ubud town center as the price on the pamphlet was $220. The town center adventure tour places (there are many of them) have contracts with these companies and get the best prices vs. going through Chapung Sebali who simply don't have the contracts. This is a class 3 or 4 river but my wife and two girls (9 and 13) loved it. It is fast but your guide is great and it is a ton of fun. There is another more popular river called The Ayung but the rapids are nowhere near as good.

The Monkey Forest (20 minute walk from town center) - This was the best $6 I have ever spent - $2 per adult and $1 per child. I thought I would be underwhelmed here but was blown away. You hold a banana above your head and the monkeys will literally climb up your whole body, and sit on your shoulders while eating the banana making for some insane pictures.

The Elephant Safari (20 minutes from Chapung Sebali). Chapung Sebali drivers drove us there and picked us up 3 hours later for free. Entrance at the park was $177 for family of four which is cheaper and better I think than all these tours that bundle it in.These are Sumatran elephants (not the big African ones) but still weigh 4,000 pounds each and eat about 500 pounds worth of food a day and drink 20 gallons of water a day. They live to be about 70 years old and many are 30 years at the park and eldest is 50. They have had 4 babies born there and are looking to breed more. It is a very clean and well run park. You might think $177 is a lot of money for this but think about how expensive this must be to do in a humane fashion which they do. They let you pet the elephants and will take your camera and take incredible pictures FOR YOU USING YOUR CAMERA instead of making you pay $20 for the stupid polaroid one shot that other parks do. They let you get very up close and personal with the elephants. The ride was 35 minutes and an elephant show is 15 minutes which was great. We spent 3 hours in total walking around the park and having a light lunch in their very expansive cafe. There are very few places in the world you can ride elephants so we went and did it. Tremendously nice beasts!

Messages - We each had 3.5 hours message, body scrub, and facials for $70 each. They were fantastic and overlooking the jungle. Back home in California a 60 minute massage is $100 so take advantage of this for sure.

The other thing we did lots of was relaxing in our villa and chilling playing games, reading books, and using pool.

We also splurged ($200 for 4 with wine) and had a dinner at Bridges in Ubud which is very high end - check it out on TripAdvisor.

The thing that drives me the most crazy about Bali is the wine prices and wine quality. Because of government taxes and shipping costs markups are easily 400% but what is frustrating is that a place like Bridges should be able to pick the GOOD $10 - $20 Australian wines and not the crap ones which they do. They have a big wine list but I tasted all three whites they had by the glass and all 2 reds by the glass and they were complete swill. And I like Aussie and Kiwi wines a LOT!

We had one negative in that the shower water or bath water was not hot but they came by and adjusted the gas and temp settings of the Rennai instant hot heaters and fixed it quickly.

Good people who do the right thing for their guests get 5 stars in my book!

Room Tip: Two Bedrooms in order of quality: Villa 2 Villa 1 Villa 4 One bedrooms in order of quality: Vil...