“Honest Review”

Ranked #45 of 542 Ubud B&B and Inns
Cebu City, Philippines
“Honest Review”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I gave a lot of thought to writing this review because the family is so kind and welcoming. But I feel, based on my experience, that I need to offer my opinion. I prepaid for 6 nights based on the reviews here and left after 3 nights because I simply couldn't take it anymore. I stayed in 2 different rooms, one was the smallest and the second was much larger. Both bathrooms were pretty bad. Only a bathtub with no curtain making the shower difficult to use. The shower holder fell out of the wall. There are few places to place your things, often having to balance them on a sink that was falling down. I live in the Philippines, so I'm used to heat, but sleeping with only a fan was not comfortable. Being located in the middle of a neighborhood had charm until 5am when the roosters, dogs and motorbikes started up. I went searching for another place to stay yesterday and found numerous better choices for the same price. I know that other times of the year are busier and maybe during those times, this is a good choice.

I hope this review motivates the owners to compare their rooms to others in the city and make the necessary improvements to compete. I hated to write this, but felt it's important to be honest on a website such as this - I've left out many other details to shorten this review. I find it hard to believe others had such a wonderful experience. 1 or 2 nights you can handle here, but again, I've since moved to a hotel in the main part of town with aircon, tv and a pool for the same price.

Room Tip: Maybe the upstairs room is better, but I didn't see it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Scott R

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This place is nestled amongst an authentic Ubud neighbourhood, with an full of orchids atrium from which the downstairs rooms are accessed. Rooms are very clean with a big bed incl "dutch wife" were we had the most comfortable sleep. Praety is run by a charming family who could`t have been more helpfull. You can rent bicycles, scooters and organize airport pick up from there as well.
Praety is not far from places of interest and if you like walking all can be reached by foot. Riding a bicycle and exploreing the rice fields was great fun.
There is a rooster next door but to us that just added to the charm ( he only crows on sunrise).
We stayed in a downstairs room which was nice, breakfast was yum, the fruit salad looked like a work of art.
Loved it, Thank you guys

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed at Praety for 5 days during our budget trip to Ubud, and we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the homestay. At first finding the place took a while, as it is tucked away at the end of a very narrow alleyway off the main street. The house itself is typically Balinese and we stayed in three rooms - one for two people with two separate beds, another for two people with one bed and the one upstairs with one bed, which was actually the nicest because of the breeze at night.

Every morning you have options for breakfast including a delicious banana crepe, vegetable omelet and banana honey toasties that all come with a basket of fruit salad. I personally had a nasty experience with the fruit salad when I found ants on my papaya one morning, but all the other days were fine.

Another slight issue was the misleading 'hot shower'. It's rather intermittent and you'll often find yourself being sprayed by ice cold water even with the hot tap turned on full. One of the bathtubs was also cracked and seemed to clog quite easily. It's no luxury bathroom but useable, at least for 5 days.

The best part about this homestay is definitely the family, who are so welcoming in every possible way. There was a religious festival at the time of our visit, and so the family made us offerings to take to the temple down the road. The grandfather of the family was always informing us of all these different events, such as Balinese dance performances, and it was a wonderful way to experience true Balinese culture, away from the beaches and bars.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mcyo04
Meschede, Germany
Reviewed March 19, 2010

This place is a jewel. This homestay has only four rooms, but the love of detail of a typical Balinese house. The rooms on the second floor almost always have the benefit of a light breeze. The view over the quarter and upon a nice tree line is great. The prices are reasonable and there is a long stay discount.
The reason why I want to recommend this place is the family running it. You are welcomed into their midst and are very well taken care of. The breakfast is very good, you can choose between banana pan cake (the best), omelet, scrambled or boiled eggs and jaffle. It comes with a banana juice or coffee or tea and regardless of what you choose you get a big fruit salad on top.
Patrick (the father of the family) is a very helpful man. He can take you on day trips at the usual prices in his own car, which is quite a treat and he will try to help you as best he can in every respect.
To make it short we enjoyed our stay very much, so much that we stayed three weeks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SauMei
arina23, Owner at Praety Home Stay, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank for all to give praety home stay good response, everything we do that for you thank you very much.