“Magical!”

Ranked #54 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Wicklow, Ireland
“Magical!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I was there on a 10 day workshop and thought the place was amazing. they have created something really special. The soap in the shower was made from soap nuts and was simply sumptious! The pool was lovely, the grounds manicured perfectly! The food in the restaurant was really " clean", healthy, tasty food, it felt so good!

Room Tip: Get air con! Our room was beautiful but I nearly died from the heat!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Deb D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We had a great give days at Swasti over Nyepi. The grounds and landscaping are immaculate and tastefully done. The room we stayed in was great too (but a bit hot in the day)- we loved lounging outside on the comfy day bed. The restaurant serves good food as well, but I wished it would have been clearer than we could order as much breakfast as we wanted. I thought we had to choose only one thing and as a result I was always hungry after. I only found out on the last day that you could get as much as you want.

One other note: I agree with the previous person's comments about the animals on the farm. It seems they should be treated better. Also, from an ecological perspective, the consumption of meat is not very 'eco' (takes many more resources to produce 1kg of meat than 1kg of veggies), so perhaps the menu could be designed to reflect this reality to keep the place in line with the eco philosophy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Daniel G
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I had decided to stay at the Swasti Ecco Cootages as I had a quick look at the cottages when I stayed in Bali the last time, however there were no rooms available. I also liked the idea of the organic restaurant, veggie garden, ecco spa and the idea of recycling.
I stayed in a deluxe room that was more expensive then other deluxe rooms I stayed in Bali. The room had a great internal design and a beautiful balcony and I felt more than at home. However the lack of a tea/coffee making facility (as well as lack of fridge and TV, which I didn't really miss) did not justify the price for the room to my opinion.
Swasti's staff was more than friendly and always looked after me.
As mentioned I did like the economic and organic approach, however was shocked when I had a look at their area where they keep their goats, sheep, chickens, roster, rabbits and ducks. I felt very sad the the whole environmental and organic approach has stopped at this area. The goats and sheep were on robes and enclosed for the majority of the day. The chickens, rabbit and roster in small cages all day. Several times I gave them water which was either non existent or dirty. One or the rabbits had a bad fur condition.
For me personally this made me feel uncomfortable and it would be a reason not to return, unless management changes their approach towards their animals.
Saying so I was allowed to keep a cat with her kittens over Nyepi (despite no pets rule) and did really appreciated this.
I will contact the management (French) to write about my concern about their animals and will update on Trip Advisor.
I did enjoy everything else. The lush gardens and quiet atmosphere and great food at the restaurant.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Rama (deluxe room on the 1st floor with balcony overlooking the swimming pool) and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank Iralienchen
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I participated in a workshop/retreat at Swasti and stayed in a cottage. I loved every detail! Yes, there was some "open air" in the lovely bathroom but that meant the plants were naturally watered when it rained. Mosquito nets around the bed really helped at night. The decor is beautifully designed. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. I had four massages and all were great! I totally loved this experience and recommend to anyone ecologically minded and who wants to be near the town center without the noise and bustle.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank sigalgolan
Raleigh
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in Feb 2014. It was ok -- I think my friends and I liked the concept more than the actual experience. Booked a cottage room online and was charged extra for our 3rd person even though the room had a double bed and a twin bed (to be fair, it was mentioned on agoda that there might be a surcharge, but we thought that with such a big room that might have been a mistake). Bathroom was open to the elements, which meant when it rained your feet got wet if you used the toilet. Lots of frogs hung out in the room with us, and there was mysterious amphibian poop everywhere, including on the bamboo bedrail at night. To get to downtown Ubud, you can walk through the monkey forest or down a narrow motorcycle path (with lots of motorcycles going every which way down it). Breakfast is great though. We moved after two nights.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank superblueridge
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We stay here for three days and fell in love with the hotel. Our room was awesome and the atmosphere surrounding it was even better: nature, green.. It makes you feel apart from everything; definitely a great place to relax and enjoy quietness. Unfortunately the massage experience went badly. We order and Ayurveda massage (Abhyanga) because we usually take this kind and let us very disappointed. The therapist was sick and keep coughing all over us, she did sides differently, interrupted several times to talk to another colleague and the quality was poorly. It's a nice place to spend the night and relax in the garden and pool, but we suggest to take a massage outside this hotel.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Rather unique (and least for me) rustic earthy vibe. Great healthy food which I found was somewhat of a rarity with Balinese/Indonesian cooking. Very chill. Unfortunately the lack of windows made it a bit noisy at times so not good if you're an especially light sleeper. The open air concept is also conducive to unexpected nature visits if that doesn't bother you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family