“Amazing and quiet place, green in all aspects.”

Swasti Eco Cottages
Ranked #54 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Spacious and beautiful rooms scattered in an equally beautiful garden and an excellent spa. Only a ten minute walk from central Ubud, however the lower part. There is a taxi terminal close by. We were not fond of the restaurant though. Very eco friendly I'm sure, but rather bland bland taste and very odd ingredients. A gado-gado here is defenitely not what you excpect.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Whoever comes to Bali should stay some days at this hotel. You will enjoy not only the nice cottages but also the rich and well-kept garden and nature that will make you feel in complete harmony. Also special thanks to the whole staff who made our stay unforgettable. The ecologic and sustainable developpment-concept of the Swasti makes particularely sense there in Bali where the ecology will become more and more an important issue.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We walked in to Swasti Eco Cottages (located on "the other side" of the Monkey Forest in Ubud) one day in search for a more tranquil place to stay (we were staying on the touristy side). It was like coming to a different world, and for the first time since we came to Bali, we felt like we actually were far away from home. Unfortunately the place was fully booked for weeks, but we spent a whole day eating in the resturant and enjoying massages. The food is excellent, and the greens and veggies are home grown! There is a peace and calm to the place that we have not found anywhere else around here. Book before it´s too late. If it´s nightlife you want, stay in Monkey Forest Road and around.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvia R
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Swasti Eco is the place to be in Ubud, Bali. Beautiful , peaceful and zen. Friendly staff, clean rooms, wonderful gardens. Need to reserve in advance because they have only 14 rooms/bungalows. I strongly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Paulina_Bali
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We spend five days of our honey-moon at Swasti and we enjoyed it!
This was one of the nicest place we stayed in Bali. The position is very closed to Ubud town in a quiet location. We appreciated a lot the " eco-concept " they have decided to follow, actually cooking most of the vegetables wich grow up in their own garden, just near the cottages, using bio detergent for wasching towels and sheets, separeting plastic and paper.
The staff is really lovely and helpful, making us as we had always lived there. Our little wood house was unique, sourrended by green, every day decorated with different kind of flowers in a different way. Such an artistic touch!
We ate almost every day in Swasti restaurant, the balinese food tasted simply gut. My wife made also a cooking class and she had fun.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ubacco
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at Swasti at the end of September and had originally booked for 10 nights. However, we cut our time short there by 6 nights.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The welcome was wonderful and the check in process a breeze.

The original lure to the hotel was the Eco/Vegetarian/Vegan offerings available, and whilst it did not disappoint, it was lacking in some comforts.

We travelled as a family, myself, my wife, my 11 year old son and our 1 year old daughter. We're all vegans (except for my Son) and the food offerings were second to none. The breakfast was filling and abundant.

To the accommodation: The beds were possibly the worst I have ever had to sleep on. Thank god that the massages were cheap in the area or I don't think I could have lasted even 4 nights. The comfiest bed was probably the baby cot that was provided.

We chose to stay in one of the stand alone bungalows which was nice. We asked for a kettle or microwave to heat our daughter's milk. After a few requests, we finally got a kettle. Only issue with it was that it didn't turn off when it reached temperature. I burned my hand on it after realising that it had been on for over an hour and had boiled dry. Just glad that there was no injuries to the kids.

There was very little availablility to hang any clothes but an abundance of shelving.

The bathroom was entirely outside with the toilet close to the wall to the front of the accommodation. It was quite possible that our neighbours had to endure the sound of my farts in the morning! :) The mosquito population did like it when we went to the toilet in the middle of the night.

The rooms are secured with a padlock to the main doors which was a bit cumbersome and the door to the toilet had to be locked either way to stop it from opening.

Water in a purifier was provided in the room which was great as it meant not adding to the plastic issue on the island.

The swimming pool was almost entirely in the shade and was salt water chlorinated. It was a bit harsh on the eyes after a while and my wife was a little disappointed in the lack of a tan due to the shade.

They provided a shopping bag for use outside that was an eco friendly one which I found a nice touch. It was also a gift to take with you.

There was an abundance of travel adaptors available in your room which was also handy.

No hair dryers were provided which also caused an issue for the wife! The lack of pool towels, whilst eco friendly, put a strain on the towels in the room which seemed to be constantly damp.

Lockers in reception were provided for valuables, but this didn't really enthuse me with confidence in them. It would have been nice to have a safe in the room.

The lack of a credit card machine meant that all bills had to be settled in cash. This was a little inconvenient.

All in all, I love what Swasti is trying to achieve. Some refinement around certain aspects would make this a lovely place to stay, most importantly improving the comfort of the sleeping arrangements.

Thanks Swasti for a nice stay, but I couldn't have lasted 10 days!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be appointed the same. The bungalows are a good choice and are away from the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BlackDogUpYa
Reviewed October 9, 2012

It is difficult to put into words how much I truly loved our stay here. Each little thing is beautiful and unique. The houses are all built by hand by the Balinese owner who is a talented and artistic carpenter. His craft is just amazing, beautiful painting and touches everywhere. The gardens are lovingly tended and provide blooms to decorate each corner. The pool is gorgeous and you can just laze here all day if you like (but too much fun stuff to do- I would definitely recommend the batik class arranged by reception)

As a foodie I was in heaven. Organic fruit and veg from the garden prepared from scratch by great cooks- everything we ate was delicious. Breakfast is excellent and plentiful.

On a Friday if there are 12 or more guests interested the staff and a local primary school put on a special evening of Balinese food and dance. Just magic. From the banana leave woven plates and name settings, to the childrens expressionate faces it was perfect. Each staff member from cleaner to head of reception (the lovely Ibu Made) is valued here and applauded by all. Then we all get to join in and have a sing/dance a long. You feel you are being honored as a special family member.

The spa- hot stone massage and body scrub to die for- treat yourself!

Location wise we loved it (a few other nice restaurants less than 5 minutes away) and just 10 minute walk through the monkey forest to Ubud town.

I've been lucky enough to visit 40 countries and stay in many different places and I can honestly say this is the most special place I have stayed. A little piece of my heart is still at Swasti :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family