“Heaven on earth”

Ranked #54 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Geneva, Switzerland
“Heaven on earth”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Swasti Eco is the place to be in Ubud, Bali. Beautiful , peaceful and zen. Friendly staff, clean rooms, wonderful gardens. Need to reserve in advance because they have only 14 rooms/bungalows. I strongly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Paulina_Bali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Turin, Italy
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We spend five days of our honey-moon at Swasti and we enjoyed it!
This was one of the nicest place we stayed in Bali. The position is very closed to Ubud town in a quiet location. We appreciated a lot the " eco-concept " they have decided to follow, actually cooking most of the vegetables wich grow up in their own garden, just near the cottages, using bio detergent for wasching towels and sheets, separeting plastic and paper.
The staff is really lovely and helpful, making us as we had always lived there. Our little wood house was unique, sourrended by green, every day decorated with different kind of flowers in a different way. Such an artistic touch!
We ate almost every day in Swasti restaurant, the balinese food tasted simply gut. My wife made also a cooking class and she had fun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ubacco
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at Swasti at the end of September and had originally booked for 10 nights. However, we cut our time short there by 6 nights.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The welcome was wonderful and the check in process a breeze.

The original lure to the hotel was the Eco/Vegetarian/Vegan offerings available, and whilst it did not disappoint, it was lacking in some comforts.

We travelled as a family, myself, my wife, my 11 year old son and our 1 year old daughter. We're all vegans (except for my Son) and the food offerings were second to none. The breakfast was filling and abundant.

To the accommodation: The beds were possibly the worst I have ever had to sleep on. Thank god that the massages were cheap in the area or I don't think I could have lasted even 4 nights. The comfiest bed was probably the baby cot that was provided.

We chose to stay in one of the stand alone bungalows which was nice. We asked for a kettle or microwave to heat our daughter's milk. After a few requests, we finally got a kettle. Only issue with it was that it didn't turn off when it reached temperature. I burned my hand on it after realising that it had been on for over an hour and had boiled dry. Just glad that there was no injuries to the kids.

There was very little availablility to hang any clothes but an abundance of shelving.

The bathroom was entirely outside with the toilet close to the wall to the front of the accommodation. It was quite possible that our neighbours had to endure the sound of my farts in the morning! :) The mosquito population did like it when we went to the toilet in the middle of the night.

The rooms are secured with a padlock to the main doors which was a bit cumbersome and the door to the toilet had to be locked either way to stop it from opening.

Water in a purifier was provided in the room which was great as it meant not adding to the plastic issue on the island.

The swimming pool was almost entirely in the shade and was salt water chlorinated. It was a bit harsh on the eyes after a while and my wife was a little disappointed in the lack of a tan due to the shade.

They provided a shopping bag for use outside that was an eco friendly one which I found a nice touch. It was also a gift to take with you.

There was an abundance of travel adaptors available in your room which was also handy.

No hair dryers were provided which also caused an issue for the wife! The lack of pool towels, whilst eco friendly, put a strain on the towels in the room which seemed to be constantly damp.

Lockers in reception were provided for valuables, but this didn't really enthuse me with confidence in them. It would have been nice to have a safe in the room.

The lack of a credit card machine meant that all bills had to be settled in cash. This was a little inconvenient.

All in all, I love what Swasti is trying to achieve. Some refinement around certain aspects would make this a lovely place to stay, most importantly improving the comfort of the sleeping arrangements.

Thanks Swasti for a nice stay, but I couldn't have lasted 10 days!

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be appointed the same. The bungalows are a good choice and are away from the...
1 Thank BlackDogUpYa
Nottingham
Reviewed October 9, 2012

It is difficult to put into words how much I truly loved our stay here. Each little thing is beautiful and unique. The houses are all built by hand by the Balinese owner who is a talented and artistic carpenter. His craft is just amazing, beautiful painting and touches everywhere. The gardens are lovingly tended and provide blooms to decorate each corner. The pool is gorgeous and you can just laze here all day if you like (but too much fun stuff to do- I would definitely recommend the batik class arranged by reception)

As a foodie I was in heaven. Organic fruit and veg from the garden prepared from scratch by great cooks- everything we ate was delicious. Breakfast is excellent and plentiful.

On a Friday if there are 12 or more guests interested the staff and a local primary school put on a special evening of Balinese food and dance. Just magic. From the banana leave woven plates and name settings, to the childrens expressionate faces it was perfect. Each staff member from cleaner to head of reception (the lovely Ibu Made) is valued here and applauded by all. Then we all get to join in and have a sing/dance a long. You feel you are being honored as a special family member.

The spa- hot stone massage and body scrub to die for- treat yourself!

Location wise we loved it (a few other nice restaurants less than 5 minutes away) and just 10 minute walk through the monkey forest to Ubud town.

I've been lucky enough to visit 40 countries and stay in many different places and I can honestly say this is the most special place I have stayed. A little piece of my heart is still at Swasti :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank beachbabyNottingham
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My two daughters ( 19 and 22) and I had our first overseas trip together to Bali and we stayed in four places. By far, our three days in Swasti Eco Cottages was the highlight our our trip.
We stayed in the charming bungalow 'Cinta' which was exactly what we wanted- authentic, no television or aircon ( the fans and design of the bungalow mean we were always cool and comfortable)a verandah with seating and a day bed to relax upon, peaceful and beautiful, nestled in delightful grounds by a waterlily filled pond.The bathroom was a delight, with sunlight streaming into an expansive earthern area, with a pebbled shower recess, and flowers placed daily on prominences and fittings as a pretty touch.The water cooler in the room was fantastic.
We loved the expansiveness of the grounds, and the amazing organic garden was such a pleasure to wander in. The workers don't mind you there at all, and its fascinating to see the rabbits, poultry and goats up close- I have never seen less stressed animals in better conditions than this, its a credit to the owners to see the harmony of the place.
Its a fairly long walk into town, but we rarely wanted to leave! You have everything you need, if you are into a peaceful stay with good food, drinks, a swim and relaxing with a book.
We had a hot stone massage after a swim at the end of the day, when a little extra heat was appropriate, and it was absolutely brilliant. My daughter had her at the same time as me and we were blissed out all evening.Treat yourself!
But its been said before, its definitely the lovely people that put this place into your heart above all the other delights, and Swasti has collected the most gentle, caring and dedicated staff making you feel you have entered the arms of a lovely family who is genuinely so very happy to have you, and is really sorry to see you go. I doubt there is much turnover of staff, they look so happy together.My girls and I wanted to leave the rest of the world and live and work here, we were so transfixed with the pace and goodness of this special place.
The restaurant is very good and the staff , again, outstanding in the way they genuinely connect with you.We loved our Balinese dance night and dancing about with the workers we had made friends with over the few days we were there.
Bali is famous for its beauty, and its gentle lovely people. Both of these qualities shine through strongly here, and the Swasti leg of our two week holiday was, without the slightest doubt, our happiest by far.Its as if the gentle approach to the earth has been extended to the people who stay, and we felt Swasti was a triumph is getting what really matters, right.Bravo team! And thank you.

Room Tip: THe Bungalows are simple and delightful and shouldnt be missed if you can forgo television and zirco...
4 Thank Rowena H
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

It would be easy to fall in love with this place. They even have their organic garden where they grow their own organic food. The staff are very helpful and friendly and always have smiles on their faces. A big bunch of thanks to Bop,the manager. He made my stay so pleasant. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SaraswatiSardjan
Belsele, Belgium
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Swasti is a very nice place to stay. Nice accomodation with a good breakfast. Good value for money. We slept in a traditional bungalow (Cinta) with 2 children. The mezzanine is only suitable for young children. I would not avise adults to sleep in here, as it is really tiny and it can get very hot below the roof. While we were here we enjoyed the Balinese evening which we can recommend for the atmosphere. The location is a disadvantage at night as Swasti is located far from the city center (approx. 30 minutes walk to the market place) and you should cross monkey forest to go to the city center. The Laka Leke restaurant is nearby (3 minutes walk) and serves great food. We went there several times.