“Great Villa - close to Ubud (for real)”
Review of Villa Awang Awang

Villa Awang Awang
Ranked #74 of 196 Hotels in Ubud
“Great Villa - close to Ubud (for real)”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We were 2 couples and originally booked the 2 bedroom villa. No one was staying in the larger house so we ended up staying there. It was fantastic and would be amazing with a large group -- plenty of space for hanging out, playing games, staying away from each other (if you have various ages of kids). You feel like you are in the jungle, with the beautiful sound of the river down below. The staff was lovely and took us on walks through the rice fields which are just a short walk from the villa.
One key thing to note is that this is actually close to Ubud. Many places say they are in Ubud and, with traffic, it ends up being a 30+ minute drive. This is about 7 minutes. Whenever we wanted to go into Ubud the driver from the villa took us. They would have picked us up also, but we were able to get a taxi quickly and nearly all of them knew of Villa Awang Awang. We also each had massages every morning - at the same time. My husband hurt his shoulder a few days before we arrived and the lady was fantastic - he was actually be able to move around comfortably after the massage each morning.

2 Thank JdanSG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I have been dying to write a review for Awang Awang. It was a month ago we arrived in Bali, and today we are still thinking about our little happy place "between heaven and earth". I saw a picture of Villa Pererepan on the internet and I just thought it was the most incredible little villa I have ever seen and made it my mission to find out where in the world it was! And that's how we decided that Ubud, Bali would be our next getaway. The booking process was made so easy by Ann, she was so helpful and consistent in replying to all my queries, this was our first time in Bali so I had bombarded her with so many questions! I was also travelling on standby and was really unsure what date we would arrive, but Ann made little exceptions for me and it made everything less stressful. We arrived at Awang Awang the day before Nyepi (Bali Silent Day, definitely go during this time) we got in pretty late but the staff were still up waiting to welcome us into the villa. We initially wanted Villa Pererepan but there was a couple staying in there so we actually got to stay in Villa Melah for the first 3 nights, we were happy with this as we got to experience two different villas. I also highly recommend Villa Melah, it is much higher in the valley and the view early in the morning is absolutely breathtaking! I have never seen anything like it. We loved the big private pool and did laps every morning before breakfast. We moved into Pererepan later on for the next 3 nights and when I was asked which of the two villas was my favorite, I still don't know the answer. Pererepan is beautiful and the pictures on the internet do no justice. It is deeper in the jungle so we had geckos, frogs and even a monkey chilling on our balcony. We loved it! I really can't explain the serenity of Awang Awang. We had breakfast everyday and mostly had dinner at the villa, the food was delicious, we were afraid of getting "Bali belly" but we were fine and never got sick. My favourite part of the whole experience was definitely the staff. They invited us to their homes, introduced us to their families, took us for a swim in the Petanu (Warning, it is not a stroll down to the river it is a hike down a million steps so be prepared!) and we had attended a few village ceremonies (the Ogohogoh ceremony the night before Nyepi, the girls even dressed me up in traditional Balinese wear) and even a Balinese wedding. We spent a lot of time with the staff it was pretty emotional saying goodbye, they all lined up to say their farewells and we took some photos.

An unforgettable and spiritual trip we will definitely be back. We are a young couple (both under 25) and we don't regret choosing the serenity of Ubud over the parties and beaches of Kuta and Seminyak. Maybe next time we will explore that side of Bali, but for now Awang Awang is our happy place.

This is very late, but thank you so much to our new friends at Awang Awang and Ann and her family for the hospitality and genuine kindness you all have shown us. We promise we will definitely be back again.

Lani & Devon

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Lani S
Karratha, Australia
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My first time to Bali and staying at Villa Awang Awang was just amazing! Loved every minute of my stay there! Scenery absolutely beautiful, Staff where so friendly and accommodating. Could not do enough for us! Loved our Accommodation and our Private Pool. Food was lovely and fresh every meal. Loved sitting on the balcony watching the monkeys in the Jungle and the Fire Flies at night glowing in the Jungle. Never felt so at peace and contented. Thank you Villa Awang Awang. Would recommend you to anybody looking for the most magical holiday! Oh I nearly forgot the massages we had at Villa Awang Awang on our balcony was such a pleasure with such professional staff as the drivers who drove us to our daily destination just great!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Villa Awang Awang was Amazing. Everything about the place was amazing from the accommodation, to the wonderful staff and the beautiful surrounds. With this being the first time some of my family having been to Bali accommodation showed the absolute beauty that Bali has to offer. The staff were amazing always there to help and support us. They made the trip so much more and treated us like family. The view from the room was magic. Every morning waking up to the sound of the river and the greenery of the jungle. PARADISE.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The scenery is just breathtaking. You can take in the views while lounging in your own private pool. For a quiet and contemplative vacation, this is the place to be. The staff are friendly and breakfast is served right inside your villa. Downsides: air conditioning is not cold, wifi is intermittent, and insects occasionally visit your room (although this is to be expected when the villa is right in the heart of nature). Downsides notwithstanding, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Luang Prabang
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed as a group of 11 in both Villa Awang Awang and Villa Beji. We had booked Villa Pererepan but it was in such a state of disrepair we were moved to Villa Beji (it is all fixed up now). Villa Beji was great. Villa Awang Awang had a few maintenance issues - the toilet downstairs overflowed for most of our stay and staff were unable to fix it so we had to move out of the ajoining bedroom. Tiled floors throughout the villa are extremely slippery and the tiled internal stairs quite hazardous. The bedroom with two single beds is very dark and the antique door of this room is liable to fall off its hinges. The villa staff were fantastic and the transport service was exceptional - thanks Kadek! Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. We loved the furniture in the villa, the views across the valley and the music drifting up from the temple. The village of Melayang is very beautiful. We had a great time and would stay here again. Thanks Ann!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
anila1, Owner at Villa Awang Awang, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I can happily inform you that since your stay in January we have completely renovated the Eco villa which was unfortunately damaged by heavy rain .An added feature is a balcony overlooking the lovely valley.The downstairs bathroom in Awang Awang has also had the plumbing renewed and our Bio - Cycle Eco friendly sewerage system is working perfectly. We are happy that you enjoyed everything else about the villas and look forward to seeing you back soon.
Suzhou, China
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Heavenly place, among lush trees, palms , monkeys jumping it the tops of the trees, you fall asleep with the sounds of the jungle. As a couple, Villa Pererepan was our choice, it's quiet and private, hidden amongst the beautiful nature, away from the city. Amazing decor! Free drives and pick-ups to and from the hotel to the centre of Ubud, which is only 10 min away. Friendly stuff, always with smiles on their faces. Free breakfast delivered to you, so you can enjoy it at the comfort of your villa patio. Amazing plunge pool, just off the jungle, If I didn't know where I was - paradise would be my fist guess. It was the best escape yet - If it's up to me I'd never leave. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple