“Absolutely Wonderful...”
Review of Villa Awang Awang

Villa Awang Awang
Ranked #77 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Villa Awang Awang was everything that I imagined it would be, and more... Sometimes photos on a website can be misleading however in this case the photographs, as lovely as they are, are not able to do the property justice. To me it is what I imagine a Balinese Palace to be like... It is simply a wonderful place to be, high up in the hills overlooking the gorge with the river below, no hustle or bustle. My only regret is that we were unable to stay longer. Treat yourself and stay a minimum 4 days and relax, get to know the area, the local people. The staff are so accommodating, and Qwek the manager/head staff member is quite possibly the most beautiful soul I have ever met. The pool was lovely, the views spectacular, the service fantastic. Qwek guided us to the river below and we spent a beautiful time swimming upstream to a lovely waterfall, the walk there and back was not easy but is was certainly worth the effort. Monkeys and squirrels and other wildlife were seen, if watchful, in the trees below.
Our girls did not want to leave and tears rolled down their faces as we rolled out of the villa and headed on to our next destination. It would my ideal place to be if I were to retire.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in Villa Beji, it was beautifully positioned to enjoy the unique jungle location. The staff were very friendly and helpful and catered to our every need. Access to near-by Ubud was always provided quickly and with a smile from our lovely driver.

The village atmosphere was great to experience and we were given the opportunity to take a walking tour around the village, rice fields and down to the stunning river, guided by a staff member. Awang awang provides a more peaceful option rather than staying in the busy centre of Ubud.

The bugs were a definite negative - but that's the price you pay when sleeping amongst the jungle. Packing some mosquito coils and spray is recommended!!
The only other downside was the poor wireless - not great when travelling with the social network obsessed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1Anila, Owner at Villa Awang Awang, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review . We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay . It is a shame that you did not mention to the staff your bother with insects . We usually have very few mosquitoes but we have coils on hand if required . Guests do not have to bring their own . There are also plug-in insect repellants for inside the rooms . Unfortunately despite paying for the best and most expensive wireless connection available it is not as fast or efficient as we are used to in other countries, The only consolation is that even the luxury resorts which charge up tp $1000 per room have the same service .

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The context is superb. Overhanging a steep valley the setting is tropical vegetation with many species of birds and ever changing light. The perfect location to relax and explore Bali.

The accommodation is comfortable and luxurious and the furniture and decor shows the best of Indonesian style.

The staff were sweet and the breakfast was varied and well presented.

all highly recommended

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed in the eco Pereperan Villa (1 of only three or four) which is selcluded half way down the side of the valley.Great views and plenty of wildlife especially monkeys which we watched playing 10 metres away in a tree.
There are about 80 steps which is not a problem as the very helpful and friendly staff will bring whatever you need to your room.They serve breakfast at you own private gazebo - a nice touch!

It would have been nice to cheat and have air cond as the fan didn't always cope but there is a nice private plunge pool but make sure the water jets get turned off at night otherwise you can't hear all the sounds of the forest
There is a really good restaurant set among the rice paddies about 1 kilometer away on the road to Ubud which the hotel shuttle will take you to and collect you when ready.

The staff are happy to take you on a walk through the rice fields which is nice or go down the many steep steps to the river in the valley.They will also take you to Ubud and pick you up.

The larger vlllas for families are very well set out and we had a tour and they are beautiful - each with their own pool

Why stay in Ubud when you can stay in the countryside???

Room Tip: make sure the water jets get turned off at night otherwise you can't hear all the sounds of the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

awang awang was an AMAZING experience
i stayed in pereperan
arrived in awang awang desperate for some peace and solitude and contact with nature- it was absolutely perfect and exactly what I needed- a total retreat in the forest, perched on a lush mountainside, with the roaring river below, the sounds of the forest echoing...i felt like i was in my own private wonderland. if you like being close to nature, REALLY close- this villa is perfect. the interior was incredible- not over the top luxurious; but spacious and with an amazing energy due to the shape of the villa (Fibonacci). I hardly left the villa, gorged on about 5 novels in 5 days (always a sign of a good holiday!!!)...
there is no airconditioning so it can be warm in the villa during the day...but oh dear, what else can you do but lie about in YOUR PRIVATE PLUNGE POOL overlooking the forest???!!!! hard life :) sleeping can be a little interrupted by the loud sounds of the crashing river and the forest at night....but i just lay there - and ENJOYED!!!they are pretty amazing sounds!!!.... by day 2 i was total used to the night river noises and slept soundly through the night

The staff were PARTICULARLY special- they were attentive to my needs, concerned about me, and caring, without ever being intrusive.
That is a VERY hard balance to reach- and the staff did it perfectly. The seemed to arrive at exactly the right moment to tend to me- but never ever encroached on my space. All of my requests and anything i asked for was provided super quick- i simply couldnt fault the staff. Just sweethearts,
i adored this please, and as i looked at alot of other venues during there time there (was doing some work research) i realised how very special awang awang was for its quietness, location and total nature experience.
and for the cost....VERY SPECIAL

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was our first trip to Bali, and we stayed 3 days and nights at Villa Awang Awang. We arranged to have their driver pick us up at the airport, and I would highly recommend that, if you don't know the area. They charged us $30USD and it was well worth it. Kadet, the driver was there waiting for us at the airport entrance. He was our first "tour guide", pointing out things along the way, and being really helpful.
We were upgraded to the largest villa, (great luck) we got to see what a gorgeous villa this is. The villa has 3 levels. the top is the main living area with a huge open terrace & bedrooms, then you go down to the kitchen and dining room, which also has a huge open terrace. From this level you take a few stairs that take you down to the private infinity pool. All three levels have the same amazing view of the forest, and you have the river rushing below you, which adds to the charm (can be heard, but not seen). We saw monkey's playing in the trees across the valley, which was great fun, as you relaxed on this amazing terrace. The bathrooms are large and spacious, with wonderful outdoor showers. If you want a taste of the best of Bali, I highly recommend this villa. It is a ways out of Ubud, so you will need to rely on their driver

Room Tip: There are 3 very different villas to choose from. Villa Pererepan, Villa Beji and Villa Awang Awang...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1Anila, Owner at Villa Awang Awang, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank-you for taking the time to share your experience and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay . For bookings made directly through our web-site and not an internet company , the airport pick-up is already included in the rate .Our free shuttle drops and collects guests in Ubud three times a day and is only a 10 minute drive . Taxis are always available at any time and only charge around Rp 50,000 per trip .

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at villa Pererepan for two weeks. They welcome you with a cold & fresh fruit juice and these words: Welcome, You are now part of the "Awang Awang" family.

[Transport]
I haven't seen many comments yet about the transport. There are, as far as i know, two drivers. I only had one driver during my stay, Kadek, and i think he only works there for several months now. I felt comfortable and safe as soon as i was picked up from the airport. We made many trips, around Ubud but also to the north, east and south. He can speak English very well, he knows a lot of things and he made my trip safe, interesting, fun, comfortable and special. This time i went alone, but i would trust my family's safety in his hands.

[Staff]
Welcome, You are now part of the "Awang Awang" family. That's how your vacations begins.
The manager, the supervisor, all the other staff, so many beautiful people, in traditional clothes, with big and genuine smiles. You want privacy, you get privacy. You want conversations, you can have conversations. Anything you want... Professional but also personal. I had some problems during my stay and they all helped me with open arms. It really is a family and i'm happy that i could be apart of it.

[Villa Pererepan]
I picked this villa because i could heal, write, read, draw in peace, nobody around. Just me and nature. Amazing nature, the sounds of the animals, the river... Incredible nature, because when you wake up in this villa with the curtains up, and with the doors open... No words... Breathtaking. The villa is very clean, try the soap, it's lovely.

[Breakfast]
Free breakfast, you woulden't expect anything special. But it was, fresh juices, fresh fruit sliced in all different forms, special brown and white bread, cute little pots with jams, boiled eggs, batik napkins? Don't forget the environment where you are eating your breakfast, my favourite time of the day.

[Dinner]
The food is very good, you should try the tempe manis with vegetables. The sate ayam? The peanut sauce? If you want to eat out, ask the manager about his restaurant. Nothing in Ubud can beat that view and the taste? You will never forget it.

[Galleria]
They have this public space with lounge chairs and i was hanging out there every single night, browsing the internet, talking to the staff and listening to all the beautiful sounds of nature. Sometimes you can hear the village gamelan players in the far distance, this gave me goosebumps, such a real bali vibe.

[Reception]
They have a really beautiful reception, i could sit there for hours.
Lots of info brochures, tours, and... You can shop for jewelry, i coulden't stop myself...

[Activities]
Walk around in the village, see the paddy's, village temples, swim in the river. You can go to Ubud, i love the Ganesha bookstore, you can donate books there!
Starbucks, see dance performances, go to museums etc The thing i love about Ubud is that it's central. Ubud is great, i can spend days there but you can also go anywhere from there and i did. It was fab.

I could go on and on, but you should see it for yourself.
It's way more better then the pictures, you really can't be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo