“Overly Pushy Staff”

and 1 more site!
Dewa Bungalows
Ranked #226 of 666 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The checkin was probably the most pleasant of my experience at Dewa. The Pool and surroundings are quite pretty, but the staff constantly inquires about your plans while trying to sell you something to do in the area. I generally want to ask for something, not have it shoved in my face 5 times in 10 minutes. I found a small number of bedbugs in the room as well. The roosters are quite close to the bungalows, so expect a very early rise from the constant noise.

Much of the problems can be easily fixed by changing the bedding and using clean sheets (preferrably a top and bottom sheet), but the biggest issue requires a change in personality of the staff. Curiosity and helpfulness are wonderful and part of what makes Bali such an amazing place, but within the confines of a place to stay, I expect peace, not haggling.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Good location in the centre of Ubud. If you dont like an early rise, I would avoid. Buy some ear plugs before you arrive as the cockerels will wake you! Clean pool and gardens, but the rooms could use a little work. Breakfast was questionable, banana pancake good, but other than that there isn't much else.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Rooms spartanic, but clean
Staff very helpful
Hot water, free WiFi
Breakfast to the room, had a lot choices
Stayed on the top floor, very good view in the morning to the mountains and Ubud.
the price/value was ok

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Room is not very clean. "Fresh" towels were sometimes smelly. There are only one sheet on the bed and one questionable blanket, which I am not sure if they wash after previous guest.

Breakfast is brought to your room, and it was fine. Somehow straws were always dirty.

Internet in room was handy, but sometimes not working. (they said "heavy rain, no internet")

People can be pushy about using their tours/drivers. It was reasonable price, but it was little annoying that I have to tell at least two people about our plans for that day, every morning. I took one of their chartered car, and the driver kept asking about "plan for tomorrow" several times in the car, which was really annoying.

Room Tip: There are two restaurants on the other side of the road. Both were nice and cheap.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Check in? Quick

Pool? Lovely. It was very clean and great temperature?

Breakfast? Decent.

Rooms? Ok. But dirty. The bed felt extremely dirty and there was sand in it from previous people. Yuck.

The check in/reception area was being done up so there was always someone with a power drill and mess everywhere..

The main problem I had were the people running it. Every single time me and my friend saw them they would hassle us about using their services. They would constantly be like when are you going to pay me to drive you here etc. It put a sour note on the whole experience because they were so extremely pushy it made us feel uncomfortable. My tip is if you go there and they ask what are you doing today just say you don't know.

I'm not coming back unless the place changed hands. Sorry!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed in an upstairs rear room (second floor), great views and very light, windowed room, was great but required block out curtains. The balcony overlooked Ubud life, chickens, gardens and other bunglows. Room clean, but required fly screen on bathroom window. Pool clean, garden small but sufficient, we are not pool people. Breakfast was very basic, pancakes ok, eggs and toast not great, tea, ask for a flask of water on bring own tea bags. Great location, in amongst yoga, warungs and shops and easy walk to markets. This is a place for visitors who spend little time in their room and like to rise early with the sounds of Ubud life and the rising sun. Well priced accomodation.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Masauso66
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This was my first stop in Ubud. It is right off of the main road, so the location is great. The staff are super friendly. I left my camera in the taxi and Mikki helped me located the driver and get my camera back. He also called a driver for me the next day. The staff is great, very friendly, like everyone in Bali. The breakfast was really good, I had the banana pancake and fresh fruit. I am not sure how clean the room was. I didn't dare take a shower and the bedding was suspect. I got nervous about bed bugs from all of the previous reviews. It's a pretty basic place and if you can manage with the minimnum, then this place will be great for you.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo