“Exceeded all expectations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ONEWORLD retreats Kumara

We can't find prices for this accommodation
ONEWORLD retreats Kumara
Ranked #1 of 520 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
London
“Exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was looking forward to my participation in the Escape the World retreat, but the reality was so much better than I was anticipating. The room and the view from the spacious balcony was spectacular. The setting in the jungle with the river at the bottom of the property is gorgeous, as is the wildlife that you'll witness. The food was delicious and so healthy. The yoga was fantastic, both Iyan and Wayan are lovely and fantastic teachers. The service from all staff members is above and beyond, and everyone is so friendly. The spa treatments are out of this world. The excursions are great and a fantastic way to see more of and learn about the culture of Bali. And finally, the rest of the people on my retreat were amazing, and I've definitely made some new friends. I would heartily recommend this retreat to anyone!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Melbo77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Dunsborough, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

There is something very special about the ONEWORLD retreat at Kumara in Ubud. The accommodation is a boutique piece of paradise - just 14 beautiful rooms built across the jungle-covered hillside. Yes the pool is gorgeous, yes the meals are divine, but the real beauty of this retreat is the heart and soul of all the people looking after you. Part physical (yoga), part spiritual, part holiday and part re-connecting - this retreat is a soul stirrer. Just go.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 824Jessica
New Richmond, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I am so grateful for this truly wonderful retreat! The food was incredible, healthy and delicious. The staff were so caring and attentive, Wayan took such good care of us and Ketut's smile warmed my heart. Our room was so beautiful! I loved doing yoga every day and Rachel put together amazing classes that made my body sing. The massages were phenomenal!
I really hope that I will be back again one day!

Room Tip: We were in room 5 and I loved it as I thought that it was the most private.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I spent a week at the ONEWORLD retreat Kumara in Ubud and it's safe to stay it's the best holiday I ever had.
Service was amazing, food excellent, location heavenly between palm trees and rice fields, I will definitely go back

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Mona A
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

Firstly, the staff are gracious and generous and the setting and concept of the Retreat inspiring.
I was a return Retreat guest as previous experience was excellent. I hesitated writing this review...but the PRIORITY is safety. A participant had also been injured in the previous Retreat.

I participated in an excursion where the group was taken off a path into wet, slippery, muddy vegetation and in parts a steep, narrow descent. I slipped and fell onto rocks. I injured my shoulder and knee with scratches and bleeding. There was no first aid available, no mobile phone reception in this area and I continued walking with wounds exposed and bleeding. Once we reached the road, there was an inadequate old 1st aid kit. On return to the Retreat proper bandaging and antiseptic supplies were made available.

Management made no enquiry during or following my stay, even though I saw retreat owner/manager, Claude, at reception during my stay.

I had attended the retreat to deepen my yoga/meditation practise and returned home with injuries which restricted my practise.

Other concerns: I finalised my booking a few days prior to the retreat...no advice was given that the pool was being upgraded and could not be used; laundry problems... Blood stain on laundered bed sheet (occurred as well in previous stay); exact same meals as for previous retreat...no variation.

Feedback directly given to management in the previous retreat seemed unaddressed, hence this review. If safety and other issues are addressed, I would still highly recommend the "Escape the World Retreat".

NB. Wayan has a spiritual soul and embodies the Bali spirit. Ketut at reception has a smile that lights up the soul...Rhonda watch out!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Lisimone
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

It's hard to know what to say that hasn't already been said here. I was concerned prior to arrival that my expectations might have been raised too high by all the great reviews. But I wasn't at all disappointed.

From the beautiful, unpretentious accommodation and environment, wonderful staff, to the great food and the rejuvenating Escape the World program, the care and attention to detail was second to none. You really do feel that so much care and love has gone into Oneworld that the experience can be quite special. Iyan and Wayan are charming yoga guides - they're both excellent teachers in different ways and Iyan has a delightful sense of fun.

The program is well thought out and full, about 4 hours of yoga & meditation a day, with a few cultural trips which I really enjoyed - especially the downhill bike ride. Everything on the cultural trips was immaculately organised so that everyone's needs could be catered for ie: if you wanted to leave early, not walk or bike too far etc, there was always back up.

I'd go back in a heartbeat. My only wish is that the retreat was for a little longer, say 7 to 10 days.

Room Tip: We had room 6 which was a bit isolated near the bottom of the retreat, (we didn't mind this) but...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

I went to the "Escape the World" meditation and yoga retreat in December/January 2013/14.
I felt deeply nurtured by the whole experience - the meditation and yoga practice, the daily spa treatments, the excursions and the nutritious meals. The staff were very kind and always smiling.
I would recommend this retreat to anyone who needs time out in a life-giving environment.
Zofia, Melbourne, Australia