“good ayurveda treatments”
Review of The Yoga Barn

The Yoga Barn
Ranked #14 of 210 Spas & Wellness in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Launched in 2007, The Yoga Barn was created by its founders for the sole purpose of bringing together community and giving back to the island of Bali. Located in the heart of Ubud, Bali's cultural hub, The Yoga Barn is Indonesia's most well known Yoga Studio & Retreat Center complex. More than your typical studio, The Yoga Barn has daily classes in Yoga, Dance, Meditation, a center dedicated to Holistic Healing including Detox Programs & Colonics, an Ayurvedic Rejuvenation Center, an organic vegetarian Garden kafe, community events such as Sound Healing, Kirtan and movie nights, as well as a wonderful Guest House with 10 double occupancy rooms.The Yoga Barn's "Yogic Buffet" provides an opportunity for all people to experience Yoga - whether a complete beginner, an experienced practitioner, or somewhere in between. The Yoga Barn has something to offer for everyone!
Reviewed November 11, 2012

had a very good experience here with 2 treatments in the morning. Shirodara was very professionally done

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am currently in Ubud and have had 2 classes in the Yoga Barn so far.

When I went there the first time, I was lucky to have a girl carrying a yoga mat walking in front of me so I figured I just follow her and hope that she was going to there, too. Turns out she was which was great because the studio is a little difficult to find. It is tucked away at the very far end of a small street off Jl Hanoman. However, I am sure anyone can direct you in case you get lost.

The place itself is beautiful.. Everything is made from wood and is surrounded by lush greenery.

My first class was Restorative and the second Vinyasa Flow. The first one was a very easy class and the second for more advanced yogis. I have practiced yoga for a few years so I enjoyed both classes. In the second class the instructor always showed an easier version of the asana but it was quite a fast paced class so I wouldn't recommend it for a first timer.

Having only done yoga at air conditioned studios before, it was so refreshing to do it in open air, while looking at green palm trees and listening to the sounds of nature (and a little bit of construction sounds, but it's not too much of a trouble). It really is a serene place.

The only downside for me is the price. I was expecting yoga classes in Bali to be cheaper than in the Western studios but it is quite the same. I guess you pay for the whole 'Yoga Barn' experience? Nevertheless, I am satisfied with the experience and recommend everybody to try it at least once while visiting Ubud.

1  Thank Anne K
Reviewed November 11, 2012

really lovely - check it out :) sadly there is some noise from the construction nearby but not a big deal. The cafe is awesome too :)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I decided to give the yoga barn a try in this trip as I have booked in again in December for what I hope will be a yoga, Zen, relaxing and healthy holiday.

I had read up it prior to going and found it super easy to find but I helped 3 lots of other tourists who had trouble finding it. It is not visible from the main road, but because I knew it was behind Zen spa it was easy to locate. My advice to find it would be to get to Jalan Hanoman (near Monkey Forrest corner) and look for Siam Sally or Zen Spa signs rather than the Yoga Barn. Yoga Barn is down the alley that is on the side of Siam Sally, past the Ubud Aura hotel.

Anyway you walk into a foyer area and and then have to traverse down a winding track past a cafe and down some stairs to get to the yoga barn pavillion. It is newly built and appears very busy. They train instructors as well as holding regular sessions. It said on their website you need to purchase a mat, but they were all included in the lesson fee. I did one class of restorative yoga and really loved the experience. Its not super cheap by bali standards and there are cheaper yoga sessions in Ubud but I would definately recommend the yoga barn.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I loved my two trips to the Yoga Barn.

I wasn't 100% sure whether I needed to book or not from looking at the website, so I just showed up and it was all totally fine. The Yoga Studio is based down a few steps past the cafe and is in really lovely surroundings. All the facilities were lovely - showers, toilets were clean and fresh and the staff were all extremely helpful and polite.

The class itself was lovely. You walk upstairs to the studio which has a covered roof, but open sides to lovely views of the jungle. Some of the reviews on tripadvisor mentioned that there was some building work going on which was distracting and this is true, but genuinely I didn't notice any noise (including the school nearby) about 5 minutes into the class. I went to the Intro to Yoga class which was taught by Eva and was 110000 rupiah for a one off charge (about £6). I've got about 6 years yoga experience from going in the UK, but I've not been for a while and so I thought it best to go for an intro class initially. It was an hour and a half long and whilst wasn't massively challenging in terms of postures based on what I've done previously, it really was a good introduction to Yoga for people who are new to it and there was plenty of space so you didn't feel squashed up next to strangers. The equipment is great too - loads of very good quality yoga mats, cushions, blankets, straps and blocks. Eva was an engaging and warm instructor, she kept the pace of the class at a good level for everyone and included a great warm up and a lovely ending section with relaxation.

I also went to the Community Yoga class which is free.

This class was probably a lot more similar to the Yoga that I do back at home. At home I take a class at my gym in Ashtanga yoga and this was the theme of the class that was taught by a lovely guy called Mark. At the start of the class he had a brief discussion around yoga and then he gave us some insect repellent. The class was very warm and lots of poses and vinyasa flow. At the end he made us do the "Happy Baby" pose - lying on your back with your legs in the air holding your feet - some people laughed and he very positively said that it was a good thing and that "You should never regret something that made you laugh" - A pretty good philosophy I think. I really enjoyed the class, even though I was very hot and sweaty by the end of it!

Yoga Barn is a great place and a good place for both experienced and newbies to Yoga.

1  Thank lucyrider