My husband, seven year old son and I stayed at The Purist for a week at the end of May 2013 in the Timor villa. It was quite simply a heavenly experience!
From the moment we were met at the airport, we felt looked after and special - a rare thing in this day and age. Icy cold water bottles were waiting for us in the very comfortable, large car that took us on the interesting drive up to the hills of Ubud. Our lunch order was phoned ahead so the delicious food was ready just after we settled in to our villa but first I want to tell you about our arrival. We were greeted with such friendliness, it was a wonderful welcome. We were escorted to our magnificent villa, shown around and before we knew it lovely, refreshing drinks arrived for us. Our son was delighted to be put in charge of feeding the pet fish in our little pond and kept them very well fed throughout the entire stay! When the staff noticed his interest in the fish during our stay, they ask him if he would help them feed other fish to and he was thrilled to be ask to help with this important task.
The property was just exquisite - enormous tropical plants and magnificently maintained gardens as well as traditional architecture with unique contemporary comforts and hip design aesthetic.
The food was delicious too! The breakfast was a delight every morning and we had lunch and dinner at the villa every day of our stay as well. It was sensational and such a treat to have such amazing food delivered to our villa and set at our outdoor table, it was marvellous.
The incredibly high standard of cleanliness was amazing - the staff were regularly asking when would be convenient for them to come in to tidy, replace the towels, make the bed - just make everything lovely again - it was so great!
It was however the beautiful nature of the staff, their genuine care and interest that made this such an extraordinary experience. Everyone was kind, friendly and helpful. For example, a couple of times our son ran ahead of us towards the main pool. Each time a passing staff member would gently call out hello to him and asked if he was out on his own, they wanted to make sure my husband or I was with him. Even if they hadn't even met him and were busy gardening or working on another villa, they cared about a little boy who might be get himself into trouble by running down to the pool on his own. All the staff are very family-oriented and love kids, they made our son feel very welcome and he loved every moment of the holiday.
He had his first ever massage at the spa and loved it! I had one too and it was truly excellent. The spa staff and facilities are fantastic.
I just read a previous review complaining about the construction next door so I wanted to add that we didn't find it upsetting at all. We were of the view that we were spending a week in a village, in a place where tourism is the major income stream and with that naturally comes construction from time to time. We just relaxed, thought about how incredibly fortunate we were to be in such an amazing place and enjoyed all that was happening around us.
We were there just to relax too - not to sightsee and still it didn't bother us. As well, my husband and son literally spent the entire week in our villa - I had to coax them to come into Ubud for just one hour, so it's not like they were out all day and so weren't at home to notice it. I only ventured out twice - both for only an hour or so into Ubud as I couldn't wait to get back to our gorgeous villa to relax in our home away from home. We all also swam every day which was lovely, only once did we see other guests down at the pool. It was amazing to have this enormous pool all to ourselves!
To be driven into Ubud is only R5,000 so about A$5, incredibly good value and so easy. I just booked a time when I wanted to be collected before I went - again it was so easy. It only takes about five minutes to drive into town from The Purist and I preferred the drive to walking.
The location just out of town is a huge advantage - when we were walking in Ubud it felt so busy and cramped compared to where we were staying. You really feel the vastness of the space at The Purist, we never actually saw the boundaries of the property, it was just lushness all around us.
The Purist is definitely the place we'll be returning to within the year - it was such an escape from our hectic, big city lives and we felt completely rejuvenated, pampered and refreshed after our weeklong stay. We slept, we relaxed, we ate, we drank, we laughed, we talked, we swam, we played and we made very special memories.
Hope you can go there soon, you'll love it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located four minutes’ drive from Ubud centre, The Purist Villas is a design-inspired oasis of calm. A collection of seventeen unique and spacious luxury residences, villas, and suites, most with private swimming pools, complimented by an elevated wellness centre, poolside restaurant and lounge areas. Contemporary and Indonesian architecture has been thoughtfully combined, well-furnished, and styled with a large and valuable collection of fine textiles and Indonesian artefacts. Owner-designers Yvonne Hulst and Alberto Cortes, together with architect Joost van Grieken have created a most spectacular villa resort, a beautiful estate, in harmony with the landscape of the lush valley of the Tawar river. Featuring an eclectic palette of materials, including recycled wood, lava & limestone, green river stones, and authentic artefacts from years of traveling the Indonesian archipelago. Balisimo restaurant, situated poolside in the peaceful Purist environment, honours the slow food philosophy. Fresh, organic produce prepared by an experienced team of Chefs results in a collection of healthy and delicious seasonal menus. The devoted and well-trained team of dedicated Butlers are intuitive to guests needs, establishing the Purist villas excellent reputation for superior, attentive service. The Purist Spa offers a range of blissful Ayurvedic treatments and uses high-end Sensatia products; Ayurveda is the ancient Indian philosophy of healing and wellbeing, focusing on re-balancing energy. The Purist's meditation and yoga therapists are finely attuned to the practice of working with energy, having mastered the art of mindful touch. The Purist Villas have brought a new benchmark of luxury boutique villa resort accommodation to Ubud and should not be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your The Purist Villas and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Purist Villas Hotel Ubud
- The Purist Villas And Spa Ubud, Bali