“Looking for a peaceful, luxury break with everything at your fingertips? The Purist is for you!”

The Purist Villas and Spa
Ranked #11 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had 4 wonderful nights at The Purist. Our trip was somewhat last minute- so we were lucky to secure the well appointed Garden Villa. Beautiful private pool, lovely room, great food, fabulous day beds - shade and sun - but what really made the Purist extra special for us was the excellent service provided by the Purist team. They have found the perfect balance of providing 5 star service without being intrusive. Nothing was too difficult and our whole experience was wonderful. It was the highlight of our 2 week holiday - we will be back!
We found the distance to Ubud perfect for us. It is a pleasant 20-25 min walk into town (great way to meet the locals and yes, there were some dogs but they didn't bother us), or a quick 3min taxi ride, or grab the shuttle service provided by the Purist. Highly recommend borrowing the bikes and heading into the local village and rice paddies. All in all, a fabulous visit. The only thing I would change is the building work next door, but hopefully that will be finished by the time we visit again!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Jesshover

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My partner booked The Purist as a surprise birthday gift for me so I had no expectations of this place since I have not read any of the reviews here (as I would normally before making reservations). From having zero expectations to exceeding my expectations? Well, that clearly speaks volume for The Purist.

Arriving from the airport, I was pleased to find our names on a nameplate board - comparing to other resort/hotels, the board itself stood out from the others with scribbled names of guests on paper written carelessly. I knew right from the very beginning The Purist was going to be special. On board the transfer van (which smelled new and was very, very clean), we were given the coldest face towel and cold bottles of water. For them to make sure that the temperature stayed perfect even after the drive to the airport and the waiting for our plane to land, it was obvious that they had a cooler inside the van. Little details like this stands out. We also were handed a menu and our driver assisted to patch us through the manager so that we could give our orders. Once we were at the hotel, staff were waiting for us with flower wreathes and more cold face towels. I noticed right away the beauty of the grounds and how well kept the whole place was. I saw how a lot of thought went into designing the whole place to ensure total privacy of all individual villas. We were escorted promptly to our room (Jungle Villa) where they introduced us to our butler who in turn explained the room amenities and services offered. The room is handsomely decorated. It was such a high to have all the comforts of home and yet have nature right smack where you are. The bed was huge and the mosquito netting was made elegant with the use of a 4-poster bed. The flat-screen TV had good channels and clear reception. The bathroom was huge with a beautiful granite tub (good enough to fit 2 adults) with an outdoor shower and separate toilet. They also have a walk-in closet too plus double sinks. My favorite part about all this is that for the 1st time ever, the hotel got the slippers and robes to match their guests. I travel with my partner and normally we get his and hers combo for our slippers and robes. This time around, they went more into the finer details and saw us as two women traveling as a couple. I cannot be more pleased to have slippers and robes that were not gigantic and which actually fit! After, our lunch was prepared for us and we had a delightful experience dining on our patio with the jungle beside us and the sound of water (from the indoor pond with lots of Koi fishes) and animals hidden in the forest. After a quick freshening up, we took the complimentary shuttle service the resort provides to Ubud Central where we spent the rest of the day shopping, dining and going for a foot massage. Arriving back in the evening, our room was prepared for the night. The mosquito net was let down and it hung like silk around the bed. The lights were on and our slippers positioned on the foot of our bed. They provided huge complimentary water bottles and we even had individual bottles on top of our beds for the evening. How thoughtful is that? Every night they also ensure to take down our breakfast preferences so they can have it ready where we want to eat it and what time we want to have it. This worked wonders as some of our tour schedules were very unusual like when we went up Mt. Batur. We arrived back in The Purist around 11AM after an 8-hour hike and you cannot imagine how grateful we were to have food waiting for us after having been up since 2AM. We also had 1 and half hour of SPA service and I can say it was one of the best I've ever had! The body scrub felt so good and a flower bath was prepared for me and my partner after the massage and scrub - a perfect way to end the last night of our trip! I also would like to share this incident when I fell off a bike during one of the cycling tours - I had a sprained wrist and cuts. My partner asked for Iodine and we got the whole first aid kit complete with plasters and cotton. A staff also went out of his way to buy us bandages in the middle of the night. What made the biggest impact on us is the service. This is the only time I can truly say that we were serviced from the heart. The management is top notch and we were even given the privilege to meet the owner of the resort. Mr. Alberto is such a cheerful, super-friendly and enchanting man that I felt the respect and love of the staff for him. Everyone in this resort was genuinely happy to be part of such an amazing team and they served with pride. The Purist is outstanding in all aspects.

My only regret is that we spent much of our time adventuring Ubud. I would have felt equally satisfied had I spent all my time inside this resort. I cannot get over how gorgeous the whole setting was and even though we did not have our own private pool, we only saw a couple in the common pool area one morning and it was empty the rest of the time. I guess everyone was just as content to be in their own private pool and villa.

To conclude, I just want to say that The Purist and its wonderful, wonderful staff all made my birthday celebration the best I've ever had. To add icing on the already delicious cake, on the night of my birthday almost all the butlers arrived with a cake and a complimentary bottle of wine from the owner. They sang me a happy birthday and made me blow candles on the cake. What a momentous occasion, to be celebrating it with amazing people who all went out of their way to ensure that we were given the best holiday one can ever hope for.

To everyone in the Purist - the butlers, the ever-prompt-behind-the-scenes-staff, the reception people (special mention to Oktri and Made) and to Mr. Alberto - you have just proven that class and luxury can indeed have warmth and charm in the heart of nature. Our biggest THANK YOU to all of you.

Room Tip: Each room offers a unique experience! You will not go wrong selecting any room here :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank patsp
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Purist villas in Ubud, Bali are out of this world. My wife and I stayed in the Bamboo villa, with its own private pool and private dining area and it far exceeded our expectations. Nothing was too much for this resort or the 5 butlers onhand day/night, food was amazing and the views out to the jungle from the main pool took our breath away. So sad to leave and will definitely return when back in Bali

Room Tip: Bamboo villa has a lovely pool with a waterfall at the end of it. Great to have breakfast on the out...
2  Thank PabloChe
Reviewed September 2, 2012

...our stay last week. Booked based on the TripAdvisor feedback that precedes this entry. And not disappointed at all... Some feedback -

-- Stayed in the Garden Villa - and loved the pool and privacy it afforded - even without it all being walled-in.
-- As others have noted here, barely aware of any other guests over our entire stay.
-- Location just outside of Ubud-proper not a prob for us -- and overcome for a couple of days by asking Reception to arrange scooter hire -- only R80,000 per day so a snip and gives you freedom to head into town as you wish and venture further afield.
-- Food was outstanding and never had a prob per ordering breakfast the night before and other meals an hour or two before desired delivery-time. Special mention to butler Antara - whom my other half loved!
-- Had one massage at the spa, but thereafter got the same in-town at a fraction of the cost and (whispers!) and with better results.
-- The downhill biking tour arranged via the hotel was also *excellent*...
-- Oh - and the roosters/bugs others cite here... Might have been our villa location, but barely heard the former and not one bite from the latter...

Would recommend the Purist without reservation... (Well, bar the hard pillows - but that's probably just me and they'd prob have changed them if I could have been bothered to ask!!) Loved the holiday here...

Room Tip: We loved our private pool in the Garden Villa... But as others have pointed out -- if you're wi...
2  Thank HKOracle
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at The Purist for four nights in the Timor Villa. The villa was beautiful and the service was fantastic - the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. Two bikes are available for guests and we went for a lovely ride up the road away from Ubud centre where there are more rice paddies. We'll be back!

3  Thank Emma2012108
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We booked 4 rooms, all were beautiful, tastefully decorated with lovely materials
the staff very helpful, pleasant, friendly. The place is magical,
Dinner was great and plentiful.
It's a place that we do not forget.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LENZ c
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I use Tripadvisor alot but have never bothered to actually write a review, but the Purist Villas has made me want to really sing their praises. Even before we arrived, the handling and helpfulness of our booking was brilliant. On arrival I was stunned at how beautiful the Villas were, the pictures don't do it justice. There's a really peaceful and magical atmosphere. The Staff are so welcoming and cannot do enough for you. They really made this place so special.

We stayed in the Bamboo Villa, which was the most private of the Villas and would definately recommend for couples/honeymooners. No Bath but the outdoor shower is amazing. The outdoor area at the Bamboo Villa is gorgeous, Pool lovely and the sound of the fountain and overflow is so relaxing. We had a little building noise from next door which was a shame, they were very apologetic, but everything else was so perfect it really didnt bother us that much. We did have a look around the Hill Villa also, which was really nice. We felt the other villas weren't quite as private but you rarely see other guests wandering around I doubt you would be overlooked or seen by many people. Also for the villas with no pool, the main pool is so quiet you would literally have it all to yourself and not many guest wandering around. We saw one couple down there one day, the rest of the days not used. We would happily stay in one of these villas and use the main pool next time.

The Food is really good, and nice healthy options. We unfortunately didnt get to try some of their desserts which you need to pre-order because they take a while. I would definately recommend eating at the Purist one night. But they will also make great recommendations too.

The distance into Ubud is only a few mintues by car/scooter, and this is a great distance because Ubud really is touristy and busy, that if your looking for a relaxing stay you would not want to be right in the centre. You can get bicycles from the Villas, which is great for cycling out into the rice fields, they give you a map. But I would recommend getting a scooter which they can also arrange. Great for getting about and abit further afield. Felt safe driving around, and once out of Ubud the roads are really quiet. Be aware that heading up to Mount Batur the police stopped us and fined us for not having our licence on us, basically a gringo tax!! We did manage to get them to reduce the fine, so worth trying to bargain abit.

Also, yes there are roosters, but take earplugs and its fine!

We went on to stay in Amanjiwo, Central Java, which was amazing, but the Purist Villas really beat it on the excellent service, much more personal and private, amazing, welcoming and warm staff. I really didnt want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple