“Perfect Bali Getaway”

Ranked #34 of 571 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“Perfect Bali Getaway”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Set in a beautiful location overlooking the river gorge just a short shuttle bus ride away from central Ubud. The small number of spacious bungalow style rooms gives the resort a peaceful tranquility which is further enhanced by the well placed swimming pools (5) set around well maintained gardens (no pool appears crowded). All the staff associated with the resort are warm, friendly and professional making ones stay that more special. Breakfast is a menu choice of American, Continental or Indonesian which provided plenty of choice. Loved the resort, highly recommended and will certainly return. The pools are set on tiers which do involve negotiating a series of steps some rather steep and no hand rails. The could be an issue for guests with poor mobility.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank borneogeoff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Last week me and a group of friends stayed at Villa Beji in Ubud. The good things about the villa:

1. The pool has an outstanding view of the Ubud Valley.
2. The villa is big and spacious and very clean.
3. It has a balcony on level 2 for you to sit and sip tea or read and also a porch sorta thing on level
4. We had our breakfasts outside in that little porch type area everyday.
5. If you walk down the valley you reach this beautiful wild stream running.
6.It was very refreshing to sleep amidst the sounds of nature.

Well that was the good part. I think the villa rent is good value for money. We paid 250 USD a night which is the low season price. Everyone was happy with that.

The only and the biggest gripe we had there was the food:

The food at the villa was quite disappointing and over pricved.We were very unhappy with the quality and the quantity of the food being served for the prices that were being charged. One night we were told the dinner was a 'buffet' and a flat 500,000 rupiah was charged for that (4 person). Well...thats great but the buffet had only 3 dishes ( chicken, bean salad and noodles served with rice on the side).Except for the chicken the rest of the food was passable and to our surprise the first helping (which was quite tiny) was the only helping. When we asked for more they told us that there wasn't any left.The noodles was supposed to be Indonesian Mee Goreng. But it was kind of dry and the only thing added to them were thin sliced carrots and some beans. I dont expect the world for 65000 IDR but we had meals outside and the food quality was MUCH better for the same price range. We brought the whole buffet dinner fiasco to the attention of the manager before we left. He did give us a discount and knocked off 100,000 IDR from the original 500,000 IDR charged to us for the buffet. So I will give some credit to him but for those who are staying in the villa I would suggest that you avoid the food there or cook yourself. I think this is a huge area of improvement for the villa.

Another small issue we had with the villa manager was the information he provided on a tour we asked him to organize. We did a Mt Batur trek one morning. The manager helped us organize the whole thing which includes taxi ride to and fro to Mt Batur + guide. After some back and forth we settled on a price of 1.55 million IDR for 4 people. This price was based on the managers insistence that there would be not 1 but 2 guides required for 4 people when climbing the mountain. We found it was odd that 2 guides are necessary for 4 people. I mean we werent really climbing Everest here. Anyway...we just went along with him and paid the whole thing in cash to him. Obviously when we got to Mt Batur and were beginning the trek there was only 1 guide. Now I am not accusing him of double dealing or trying to low ball us.Maybe he didnt have the full information himself. I just think that if he is organizing such tours for guests at the villa then any information that is provided to us should be accurate. It reflects on how much the guests can rely on the villa for helping them see the local sights in and around Bali.We brought this up with him as well and again the manager waived off our car rental fee for the last day of our stay in bali which was very kind of him.

Overall we enjoyed our stay there and I would definitely go back there and recommend it to friends but it would come with a caveat re: food.It's my holiday afterall...I want to eat good food !!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank suhritk
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Loved Beji Ubud Resort! We stayed for 3 nights and had a very relaxing time here.
The room was big, clean and very comfortable, with a huge bathroom with a separate bath and shower.
Bed was very spacious and comfy.
The resort has 5 pools, which we sampled several, and settled on the lovely one in the middle of the resort, as the huge infinity pool overlooking the valley has quite a few steep steps down to it.
The restaurant was Ok, but the staff were excellent, and very friendly.
No down sides to our stay, except maybe to request more pool towels.....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nyora13
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Agree with many of the other reviews on this property. Rooms are spotlessly clean and the grounds are immaculate. The pools are fantastic offering spectacular views over the valley behind. The staff were generally very obliging and pleasant.

The breakfast served was very poor and lacked any culinary flair which you would expect for the prices that were paid. Our rooms (x3) were booked and confirmed to be located near each other. This did not happen and we were split up across the property - upon bringing this to the attention of front office staff, we were initially told there wasnt anything they could do and their manager had just resigned! They eventually fixed the issue that day.

The exhaust fan fell off in the shower whilst on which hit and cut my wife in the face. There are no international TV stations or DVD players in the room, which for a resort which targets and attracts Western travellers in not good enough. There were no pool towels available for the first two days of our stay and our laundry was not delivered to our room.

Upon advising the booking agent of our groups problems, a letter of apology and complimentary dinner was offered, which was appreciated. Many hotels simply ignore complaints, we appreciated their quick response.

Overall the property lacks the polish that you expect from a Western hotel.

Having said all of this, with a little bit of extra effort this resort could be fantastic - we did overall enjoy our stay, just all the little things let this one down.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank ScooterNT
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I am inclined to agree with Carowilk, a few reviews before this one. We also really wanted to love this hotel because there is so much that is great about it but sometimes the little things DO matter and those little things can add up to be disappointing, especially when you pay less for a more superior hotel that you stay at before or after this one.

First of all, the AMAZING pools! There are 5 in the hotel, a so so one near rooms at the front of the hotel, a lovely little one near other rooms in the middle of the property, one near the reception/restaurant, a narrow long one right outside our room and the main one right down the back of the hotel looking straight over the lush green valley. The last three are all infinity pools, all pools are made of dark slate making them look very cool and inviting in the hot weather. Infinity pools are just gorgeous full stop but being right on the edge of the valley and looking out at that, really was spectacular.

The resort is quite quiet and peaceful, you can hear birds often and we felt so lucky to see some fireflies when we were in the pool at night! The rooms are well away from the road so there is no traffic noise either.

The hotel was well maintained, with lovely gardens containing tropical plants, our room was nicely furnished, really large, very light and very clean. The security guards in the stand at the entrance were always smiling and saying hello.

Now for the negatives.....

There is no safe in the rooms, this was a concern for us because we don't want to carry our passports or large amounts of exchanged or non-exchanged money on us, so we had to lock this in our suitcase and just trust that it would be fine there.

The television was an old box style tv, these just look so dated and out of place now, and in a place like Bali, where DVD's are probably their biggest shopping item, we kind of expect a DVD player but the tv probably doesn't even support one.

The most difficult thing about the room was the shower. It wasn't one. It was a bath with a hand held shower head that was secured at bath tap level, so we either had an awkward half bath half shower sitting down or my boyfriend stood on the edge of the bath and held the showerhead up while I showered and vice versa.

The hotel doesn't provide fashwashers in the room and the bathroom needs a shelf or more shelving for bathroom products as the sink is just a sink and doesn't hold any more than toothpaste and a toothbrush so everything else has to stay in the bag or go on the floor. There is a little stool in the bathroom so we used that to put items on, but it was still pretty small so just made it difficult unnecessarily.

The bed was REALLY creaky. Just sitting on the edge of the bed it practically screamed. The mattress and pillows were really comfortable, although they only provide one pillow each they were happy to bring us two more when we requested them, but the bedframes need replacing, they are just too old or unstable or something. Rolling over in bed wakes the other person up, so anything other than laying perfectly still in bed really is out of the question!!

Breakfast was REALLY ordinary, we only ate it there once even though it was included. I had the pancake, which really is just that, one pancake, on the plate, no garnishing, nothing. My other half had the eggs, tomato and bacon with toast. The toast came out first. Then a plate with two eggs, two small pieces of bacon, and two tomato halves came out. All very unceremonious and it was pretty obvious that presentation of food hasn't registered with them. It was all rather boring really so we found some lovely places for breakfast for our next 3 mornings and were much happier. I noticed that the breakfast we had in the hotel restaurant was $13US which was ridiculous, I don't know that anyone would be pleased with that price if they actually paid for it and it wasn't included!!!

I found out the hard way that when you check in and they ask to see your credit card, they "hold" $160AUD or so on the card, meaning you can't access this money, and they refund it when you leave. I was not told about this when they took my card, I handed it over without thinking because on my Agoda.com booking voucher it said the hotel will want to see the card that the reservation was booked with. After realising that money was missing a few days later and on trying to establish if this is indeed what happened, the language barrier became apparent. I have no issues with language barriers usually because I don't speak a second language so someone that does, even if badly, still impresses me, but when it comes to a problem with money and no one understands English enough to be able to sort out my problem it can be very frustrating. I ended up just walking away when I just kept getting nods and smiles and thinking I would have to sort it with my bank when I got home, but magically, after we checked out, the money was returned to the card. It was the only time I had handed over this card in the last month so it couldn't have been anything else. If it is a requirement of staying there that is fine, but should be either on their website or at least told to you on check in.

The hotel is well out of town but it is only a 20,000IDR ride away. No taxis in Ubud, it is all transport you bargain for so this amount will suffice in both directions to the town centre, unless you want to go somewhere on Monkey Forest Road from the hotel because it is a one way street you can only get to it going the long way around so is probably more of a 30,000 trip.

Even though it is out of town you will start getting asking for "transport?" from about a block towards town from the hotel on both sides of the road, otherwise it is is about a half hour walk mostly downhill into the centre.

I highly recommed "Caroline Massage Therapy" that is on the other side of the road, on the same street, about 5 minutes walk towards town. I got two 90 minute massages there and being a former massage therapist, I recognised a lot of her strokes so was really happy with the lady I had having been trained, not just given a job and told to go for it. And 90 minutes is only 80,000, that is insane to me, so terribly cheap and so terribly worth it!!!!

Have a look at my restaurant reviews, we had some amazing dining experiences in Ubud that I want to share, they are too good to miss!

Overall yes, I would recommend this hotel to friends but with the warnings as above so it was expected, or not expected as the case may be. I think the safe, tv, bathroom shelving, showerhead and bed need to be upgraded/amended because they are just not good enough. As was mentioned in a previous review, they ran out of pool towels very quickly but from what we could tell, there were only about 8 other people staying at the hotel at the same time so that's a bit of a worry, and just go buy some more towels to have on hand!!!

I think this hotel definitely was nice, and as mentioned in the title, great by Bali standards but not by international standards, especially seeing it cost more than our Legian accommodation which was of a much higher standard. I wouldn't stay here again unless the negatives were fixed but I will definitely remember the pools with a dreamy reflection!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Summergirl77
bali
Reviewed February 5, 2011

The view from this resort is excellent, typical Ubud view that you wouldn't wanna miss. The room is clean, good water pressure on the shower, there are a few swimming pools available in this resort and they are all clean. The staffs are friendly and the owner is extremelly friendly and this makes you feel like home. Just a few meters walk, there are a few bars and restaurants available.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We stayed at Beji Ubud for 6 nights over Christmas. We really wanted to love this hotel, and there were lots of great things about it, but there were also things that in the end really let it down. With a few improvements it really could be an amazing place.

The Beji was in a stunning location outside the hustle and bustle of central Ubud,
the pools (5 of them - one with a great diving plank for the kids!) and garden were so beautiful and immaculately kept, the rooms were nice and clean, the free wifi was good and the staff on the whole were very friendly.

However, there were some aspects of our stay that were disappointing.

Our airport pickup was over an hour late, despite reconfirming details. There was no apology at all and we were fully charged.

The service was pretty inconsistent, despite the overall friendliness – things like constantly running out of towels at the pool, taking ages to respond to requests, serving everyone’s meals at different times – easily fixed with better staff training and organization.

The food in the restaurant was average. There are however plenty of good dining alternatives very close by – from inexpensive (Fly Café, West End, Naughty Nuris) to expensive (Moziac).

As others have mentioned the shuttle times were very limited and there was no return during the day (except for the same time as the drop off in Ubud in the morning!). However it was very easy to find a driver to drive us back – at around 20,000 rupiah.

Other improvements would be providing a safe in the rooms and fixing up the inconsistent hot water.

The most disappointing aspect of our stay however was the deliberate attempt to overcharge us with our room rate when checking out (we changed room types during our stay). So check your bill thoroughly and be prepared to hold your ground. We were lied to about the rates even when referring to the hotel website and were then told it was not possible to change the rate in the computer!! Not a pleasant final impression unfortunately.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family