“excellent food”

Man Maru
Ranked #275 of 724 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“excellent food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

We arrived mid afternoon so the restaurant was a bit understaffed and this meant the service was a bit slow however we were warned that this would be the case. No problem, the restaurant has pleasant decor and air conditioning, a nice escape from the afternoon sun and time to sip on a beer or two.

The menu is huge, all of the dishes we had were great. I really enjoyed deep fried nori rolls; yeah sounds a bit weird but they were sensational. Free transport is offered in the local area, they are about 500m up the road from the Bintang supermarket.

• Visited July 2011

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
“Possibly best Japanese in Ubud for the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

Very good sushi and salads; very pleasant staff. Some of the pricing is irrational: a two-portion sushi dinner is 2-1/2 times the prices of a one-portion sushi dinner. But the food was very good, reliable (have been there many years ago and days ago ... always good), fresh. One of our favorite places.

• Visited March 2012
kskwared
“Disappointed with Service, but Tasty Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Ordered a miso soup to go on my way to a massage next door. When I asked how much the soup was, 2 of the waiters looked at me, then looked at each other, and then the one waiter pointed to something on a screen behind the computer and the other shook his head yes. They charged me 20,000 RP for the miso soup. I thought the exchange seemed odd so I looked at the price on the menu and it said 15,000 RP. I asked the server about the difference and she said to-go order costs more so I left it at that. The next day my husband was craving sushi so he stopped in, order a couple of rolls and a miso soup to-go. This time they charged us the price in the menu (15,000 RP) for the soup. Food was tasty, but we were disappointed and annoyed that an established restaurant would overcharge us. We've traveled extensively around SE Asia so we're used to getting overcharged or quoted high prices based upon being tourists, but never at an established restaurant such as this. I hope the servers enjoyed their 5,000 RP tip! :)

• Visited February 2012
Ubud Bali
“Fantastic quality and setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

This place has it all if you are looking for fine Japanese dining. Affordable on top. Fresh, great quality, and nice sitting.

lembach,france
“Excellent Japanese!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

One of our favorite spot in ubud as we are living on the island since 14 years...excellent Japanese food for good value...tuna teka fried roll, California roll, teriaki, sushi, sashimi, the best gyoza...everything is so good....a good place to share the food with friends and family...Bon appetit....

• Visited January 2012