“Awesome time”

Happy Bike Cycling Tour
Ranked #32 of 198 Outdoor Activities in Ubud
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had an excellent half day tour ... ontime pick up from our hotel, interesting stop at the coffee plantation, breakfast near the volcano lookout, very cruisy bike trip through the backstreets and rice fields and topped off with an amazing lunch at Made's home (one of the best meals while we were in Bali). A terrific way to spend some time in Ubud.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were a thirty-something couple in Ubud in the rain-season so we got the guide and driver entirely for ourselves. We opted for the 2,5 hour mostly-downhill bike tour with breakfast and authentic balinese lunch. It takes well over an hour before breakfast is served, so don't be too hungry. But other than that these guys deliver a really great more-than-half-day experience with visit to a coffee plantation that even has live Luwaks (as in Kopi Luwak, the world's most expensive coffee), a bike ride along low-traffic rural Bali villages and an absolutely great specially prepared lunch. We learned a lot about growing rice and a lot about local culture. Half of the bike stops were improvised to explain about what people working in the fields were doing, or about the significance of temples. The guide was always helpful and never intrusive. Great value for money and money well spent. Apart from the possibility (and not forced) option of buying coffee and chocolate at the plantation, and a small charge for soda or beer for lunch (water was free) there is no extra charges and no awkward upsells.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

You must put this trip on your “To Do” list if you are ever visiting Bali. I did this trip in February; it was during the low tourist season so we had a small team, making the experience more intimate.

The tour team picked me up from where I was staying in Nusa Dua. The drive to Ubud is approx 1.5 Hrs. We stopped along the way a visited a spice and coffee farm.

The next stop was breakfast at a lovely little café over looking Mount Batur. A magnificent sight while tucking into a tasty banana pancake and a traditional Balinese coffee.

We then set off on the bike tour starting further in the rice fields of Ubud. The overall ride takes approx 2 hours. The terrain is not difficult and there stops along the way. My only advice is to keep hydrated as it does get hot along the way.

Made provides an exceptional educational, environmental and cultural experience of Ubud. The tour finishes off at Made’s home with a delicious meal prepared by his wife.

Thanks again Made and the Happy Bike team. I hope to come back to Bali and do it all again!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My mom, my 10-year-old sister, and I had a cycling tour with Happy Bike and it was one of the best experience I had during my stay in Ubud. Made Wira picked us on time at 8am, then we waited for another group to join us. During our car journey, Made Wira explained to us the program's details and he spoke English very well. He was kind and very patient in answering our questions.

Before we had our breakfast, we stopped at a coffee plantation and got free samples of various mixed coffees and teas. However, if you want to try a small cup of luwak coffee, you had to pay for IDR 30,000. I liked it there because they didn't force us to buy anything and we got to learn about how coffee and other spices were made, etc.

Next, we continued to Kintamani to have delicious (and free!) banana pancakes as breakfast. The view itself was really breathtaking, with Lake Batur surrounded by Mt. Batur and Mt. Abang on each sides.

Finally, we arrived at the cycling point and Made Wira explained to us how to ride a bike safely on the village roads, they were mostly downhill roads, only two uphill ones. The roads were quiet, not so many cars passing by, mostly motorbikes. Only when we reached the end, towards the main road, that we had to be really careful. A van accompanied us from behind and Made Wira guided us from the front, so I felt secured. Even my little sister enjoyed the ride very much and Made Wira always ensured her safety and ours as well. His staffs were also attentive and helpful.

During breaks, we visited Balinese house and learnt their traditional customs, which was very strong and rooted. We were lucky that the weather was cooperative and got to witness the locals helping each other with the rice harvests. The people along the road were very friendly, the school kids would shout greetings and smile at you. Later, we had fantastic vegetarian lunch (cooked by Made's wife) at his house. If you don't want to go back to your hotel after the ride, his driver will happily drop you to your desired place.

Overall, it was one pleasant, educative ride. I will definitely have a tour with Happy Bike again.

Tips: put on lot of sunblock!!!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Our class of 12 students and 2 professors was hosted by Made Wira for a Happy Bike Tours ride through the rice paddies and villages near Ubud, Bali, Indonesia in January 2013. The tour is not a typical bike ride. Mr. Wira had us stop to interpret life for the Hindu people who lived in the villages we travelled through. We had a chance to see a typical house (compund), village community center, rice paddies and we finished at Mr. Wira's home for a wonderful Indonesian lunch prepared by his wife. The explanation of life and life perspectives was a wonderful learning experience. The bikes were in good conditions and biking involved only a few uphill climbs. I would recommend this company to anyone.

1  Thank evheide

Been to Happy Bike Cycling Tour? Share your experiences!