“Great value friendly staff”

Teba House Ubud Guest House
Ranked #61 of 640 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Pretty gardens, great staff, clean basic room that was a tad hot since I do not like a fan blowing on me but doable. Centrally located. My only complaint is that he turns the internet off at 10 am and back on a 9 am. I use Skype late to reach friends that are up in the US so that was inconvient.

Overall I would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank joyjoy96
tebahouse, Manager at Teba House Ubud Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2010

Dear Joyjoy96,

Further to your reviews at TripAdvisor:
I would like to say thank you for staying at Teba House it was a pleasure to have you here, regarding the Internet Problems we have found the solution by changing the Internet System to Un-limited Connection then we are providing 24hours Internet access for all of our guest now, it’s included to your room rate. I hope by doing so will make guest stay longer but still can keep contact with their family or friends overseas.
Regards

Reviewed April 24, 2010

I spent here just 1 night with my girlfriend at the end of March. For 150.000Rp per night this place is definitely value for money. The A/C room and the toilet were spotless and the place is located at walking distance from the main roads, restaurants and the monkey forest. When we arrived, the guys at the reception had lost our booking and had not available the room we had arranged for, but they promptly upgraded us in a deluxe room for the same price.
The only drawback is that the staff is all but friendly. The young guys at the reception appeared almost annoyed by our presence and none of them spoke a decent English. However, we never talked with Agus (I suppose the owner) who always proved to be very nice in the few e-mails we exchanged before our stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed in three different accommodations in Ubud and the lovely and congenial Teba House was BY FAR best. I travelled solo through Bali for two weeks and the staff at Teba House helped me so much in my great experience there. I felt safe, taken care of, and welcomed during my stay.

I booked my room and airport pickup online before going to Bali everything was ready when I arrived. I stayed at Teba House twice during my Bali trip. I first stayed in the superior room which was a nice basic room in the heart of the beautifully maintained courtyard garden. The staff was nice enough (and I trusted them) to watch my luggage for me while I went to explore other parts of Bali for a few days. When I got back to Teba House I stayed in the Super Deluxe room which was absolutely gorgeous, clean, and so comfortable. It was definitely worth spending a little more money on.

You can find decent rooms all over Bali but it was the hospitality and personality of Teba House that makes it so wonderful. The staff is attentive making sure you always have tea and coffee available, serves you breakfast on your porch every morning (the food is good and well presented too), and will arrange whatever it is you need to do at a fair price. They helped me arrange taxi rides and private tours and and are knowledgeable about events around Ubud. And being a family run guest house, the atmosphere is casual and friendly. One night they even invited the guests to celebrate a family birthday with them. And once in while Ketut and Gede would sit with me on my porch and play guitar with me playing Indonesian and English songs. Those were some of my favorite Balinese experiences.

I am very grateful for the kindness Teba House showed me. I chose to stay there because of the great reviews they got on tripadvisor and it all turned out to be true. I am so glad I stayed there.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2010

The family that owns the place are very kind, warm, and are attentive to your needs, so what more can you ask for? Ketut is the owner and another Ketut helps settle you into the rooms. They were born and raised in Ubud, so they know all the great local food spots for dirt cheap. We once spent only $3 for 3 dishes and 2 shakes from a warung in the back of Teba House.

The rooms have no air-conditioning, so it can get very hot when you want to rest in the middle of the day, but we rarely stayed in the room during the day. We just used the place to shower and sleep. After taking a shower, you'll feel cool enough to comfortably sleep because it get's chilly throughout the night.

The wooden doors are locked with a simple ped lock, but Ubud felt farely safe. The bathroom was kinda gross, and some of the light fixtures needed attention. But for $11 a night, delicious breakfast every morning, and tea throughout the day what more can you ask for?

More pics and info on our blog: http://lakbai.com/2010/02/16/teba-house-in-ubud-bali-indonesia/

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Wow. This place is every bit as good as people tell it to be. The best is the staff. Ketut was very helpful and waited almost 2 hours for me even though my flight was delayed. Email communication and booking was effortless and all my emails were responded to promptly.

I was upgraded to a Deluxe room from a standard room upon arrival, so you can say that that made my trip. The Deluxe room was beautiful - super clean, amazing views, bathtub with shower and very nice solid furniture. I paid the standard room price, so what i got for my money was very very good. The only not v great thing is that the sun can be quite hot in the morning - its hard to have coffee or breakfast on the verandah.

As mentioned in a review, the banana pancakes here are to die for. You can rent bicycles and book air port transfers with the hotel. There are beautiful details in the place - its lit up at night, pebble decoration on the pathway in, and beautiful flowers on the garden.The location is not quite central but walkable - it is located near the Perama Station/Bebek Bengil restaurant. I would definitely recommend this place to a friend of mind.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 27, 2010

When I made a reservation at Teba House, I wanted to book four nights in the upstairs super deluxe room.

The manager and owner’s son, Agus, informed me that for the first two nights it would be unavailable, but that I could book it for the last two nights. So, I booked 2 nights in the downstairs deluxe room and 2 nights in the upstairs super deluxe room. I received an e-mail confirmation of this.

A few months later when Agus picked us up at the airport he told me that I could stay all four nights in the downstairs deluxe room if I wanted. I said that I wanted to keep the original booking of 2 nights in the downstairs room and 2 nights in the upstairs room. I had been looking forward to having a room with a view. His reply was that was not a problem. It was very late at night, and I didn’t think to much of it.

On the morning after the second night he informed me that he was ready to move us to a standard room on the first floor across from ours. This was the first time that this had come up. It totally came from out of the blue and it was the first thing that he said to me that morning. It was in no way how I wanted to start my day. Why would I want to move into a smaller room? How is this something that a guest would want? If anything, guests want upgrades, not downgrades.

It was at this point that I realized that all along he knew that he had double booked the upstairs room, and this was how he dealt with it. After looking forward to moving into a room with a "village view" for quite a while, I chose to check out instead of insisting that he move us to the super deluxe room as we booked and as was promised.

This alone would merit a rating of “terrible” in my book, but wait, there's more.

When we got in the room on the first night there were no towels or toilet paper. When we asked for them, they told us that they were out of towels and that we'd have to wait until the next morning for them. When I asked for soap, Agus said rather curtly, “We don’t provide soap.”

We'd been flying for hours after sightseeing all day in Maleka, and were looking forward to taking showers before we turned in for the night. When we told them this, we were finally given wet towels. WET TOWELS! I guess they were clean, but they sure didn't smell clean. When I asked for soap, Agus said rather curtly, “We don’t provide soap.” I might expect this for 150,000rp a night, but not when we are paying double that for a “deluxe” room.

On the second night when we got back after sightseeing, the towels had not been replaced. When we told them that we wanted clean towels, we were given wet towels again, and they smelled worse than the first ones. They smelt like mildew. We couldn't use them and opted to use the ones from the first night instead.

It had been raining in the afternoon both days, so instead of taking their towels to the cheap laundry service next door to dry them, they made their customers suffer. On their website, they do list towels under “room facilities”.

There was no exhaust fan or ventilation of any kind in bathroom. If someone took a shower, it stayed like a sauna in there for a long time. If someone needed to use the toilet later, they would get very sweaty from the trapped steam. I had to ask to use the owners’ electric desk fan to remedy the situation, but the cord was too short, so I had to get an extension cord too. What a hassle. Too much hassle to put up with for the so-called deluxe room and deluxe room price.

Agus would never accept responsibility for anything. When I went to take a shower in the morning, there was no hot water. Agus came in and put his hand under the running water and said "It's hot." He looked at me like I was crazy. Later he said that something was wrong with the water heater, and it wasn't working. So, not only is the customer wrong, but also delusional apparently.

The first night the wifi wasn’t working, but Agus had already gone to bed, so I decided to just deal with it in the morning. When I told him that the wifi wasn't working, he said "I already gave you the password." He implied that I didn't know how to use it, and that it was my fault. When I told him that his system didn't ask me for a password, he said that he would look at it. When he came back and I was able to log on, he said "See? It works." When I asked him what the problem was he said "Oh, we turn it off at night." So, there was no wifi at night because it was shut off, and it had nothing to do with the password. Again, he made it sound like it was my fault.

I got the distinct impression that Agus had gone to business school. His university graduation photo is displayed at the entrance. I felt the whole time like he was too focused of the bottom line and cutting corners that he overlooked the hospitality in "hospitality business".

The front door would not latch, so we had to lock the deadbolt every time we went in or out of the room. This was a great hassle when we simply wanted to eat breakfast on the patio, the door would swing open unless we locked the deadbolt. I brought this to their attention, but wound up fixing it myself the next day because they neglected to take care of it.

I also had to clean half-an-inch of dirt off of the air conditioner filter myself because the air conditioner was not blowing cold air, and the first night was very hot in the room because of it. This too was brought to their attention, but not taken care of even though they said it would be.

Lastly, I dropped a roll of toilet paper in the toilet, puled it out and threw it in the garbage can. There was no holder. It just sits on top of the tank, so it’s easy to do. The next day when I used the bathroom, the toilet paper was damp. I thought this was due to the sauna-like conditions made by a lack of an exhaust fan. After I finished the small roll, I noticed the new roll, and realized that the one I had just used was the one that had dropped in the toilet the day before. The housekeeper had evidentially taken it out of the trash and put it on top of the tank. Disgusting!

So the bottom line is, if you stay here, please avoid the "upgrade" rooms and don't expect too much. We got the deluxe room, but only the standard service.

I understand that you get what you pay for. At Teba House, we got much less than what we paid for.

You can do better elsewhere in Ubud.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank senseisensei
Reviewed January 10, 2010

The decision for having this B&B for our stay in Ubud, Bali was love at first sight. My friend saw their website with lots of lovely pictures and read the positive review here in tripadvisor.com. From that moment on, it was a long distance relationship between my friend and Agus, the guy who manage the B&B. To book, you just need to email Agus and should there be any pre-arrangement or any question about Bali, Agus is the man. We were there for a short trip, 3D2N at the end of December 2009. It is not a big commercial hotel with lots of rooms to accommodate their guests; therefore, an early booking would be a wise thing to do.

The 1st day we arrived, it was at night. We didn’t get to see the courtyard as how the picture in the website promotes as everything is dark. All the guest rooms are facing the center courtyard. We were greeted by a cute puppy named Brownie. Our room was the one with the patio. Well, actually most of the rooms have their own patio. The interior of the room is actually very simple. 2 single beds, a toilet, sink in the room and not in the toilet, a small table and a cupboard. Not even a single painting in the room. It would be nicer and cozier if there were some. The bathroom is also simple and very basic. A shower & a toilet bowl in a super spacious space.

Waking up every morning is something to look forward too as the view from our patio/room of the lovely courtyard is so…inviting. If not because of having to explore a little bit of Bali, we could sit at our patio the whole day. Breakfast is served at the patio which is really nice. It is also delicious. 2 mornings we were there, we were served with 2 different kind of breakfast. It was egg and toast on the 1st day and banana waffle the 2nd day.

Location is great. In the heart of traditional Ubud town, it is also nearby to Monkey Forest and the famous dirty duck restaurant which causes traffic during lunch hour. Monkey Forest and the restaurant is literally a walking distance. We hired a bicycle each during our last day in Bali just to explore the town. We would hire a motorcycle if one of us has the license. My friend could ride it but she doesn’t have a license. Cycling up the hill is a torture but going downhill is heaven thrilling. For those who love shopping, I would suggest you walk. Having transportation like a bicycle can widen your horizon in Ubud alone but you could miss lots of shops on the way downhill.

Other mean of transportation such as airport pick up and drive around the island can be arranged with Teba House. Basically, they can do anything for us with a very fair price. Pak Ketut is the best to talk to when it comes to planning on what to do in Bali. We generally have an idea of what to see and what to do, but with Pak Ketut, our plan becomes more…polished as he was able to suggest on things we want to consider such as, the best place to shop, places to eat and what we can see on our way.

The staff, Pak Ketut, Ketut (that will be 2 different people), Pak Tui, Agus, the boy who picked us up in the rain (sorry we didn’t get his name) were all very helpful and nice people. Balinese are generally nice and friendly people anyway. Language is not so much of a barrier for us as we speak almost the same language (Bahasa Malaysia & Bahasa Indonesia).

In conclusion, Teba House is a really nice place to stay. Beautiful, cozy and helpful and nice staff, We wouldn’t mind coming back here again and has been recommending this place to our friends and family.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends