Tripadvisor

Review of USHA Cafe & Bakery

USHA Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #159 of 1,177 Restaurants in Ubud
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was looking for something different and heard about this place. I had borscht and the potato dumplings, and they were just what I wanted. Beautifully done, and the cake for dessert, well, it took the cake! I look forward to returning and trying more of the menu

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (350)

Reviewed December 29, 2019 via mobile

Loved this cafe for lunch. Had read the great reviews and am so pleased we visited. Delicious dumplings & cake so good! Make the effort as was so yummy & different to standard cafe fare.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 12, 2019 via mobile

The quality and flavors of the cuisine were such that it evoked emotions and memories of the long missed hospitality of our Grandparents.
Thank you. Our complements to the Chef and Management.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 9, 2019

Had an amazing time, and then a repeat of it! Made sure to pop in before we left ubud. Had some magnificent espresso, fresh smoothie bowls and vegan dumplings. My partner enjoyed a smoked salmon eggs Benedict that looked mouth watering. Fast and friendly service with comfortable indoor and outdoor seating. Free WiFi as well! Can’t wait to visit again!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 22, 2019

During the year and a half I've lived south of Ubud, the cultural and spiritual heart of Bali, I've driven by Usha Café & Bakery at least twice a day on the road I take to and from town. One day after I first arrived in this tropical paradise I asked my driver to stop there and get an iced "Bali coffee" to go, but he returned empty-handed, saying he was told "we don't serve that.” I found it a bit weird that a café based in Bali didn't serve the local coffee and wrote them off as just another place catering to expats which I usually avoid like the plague,

Well now I'm eating crow because the other day a couple whose palates I trust implicitly, highly recommended Usha. "You have to try the lavender cappuccino" they exclaimed. And my next door neighbor raved about the vegan chocolate brownie. So one mid-afternoon while looking for a place to have lunch with friends, I suggested we check it out. And I'm glad we did. In fact, our lunch was so delicious we stopped in again the following morning for coffee and cake. Now I know I’m not going to be driving by Usha without stopping there anymore; in fact it’s going to be hard to keep me away.

While by not eating there my already ample waistline was spared, I realized I'd been depriving myself of some of the most delicious albeit exotic - for this region anyway - food available on Bali. The island mostly attracts Australian tourists given its proximity to that continent. Curiously, Eastern Europeans - and Russians in particular - rival Americans as arguably the second largest demographic represented among the expat and tourist population.

Owned an operated by Ukrainians and open 14 hours a day, Usha serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night munchies and of course their now famous cakes and pastries throughout the day. What sets it apart - in addition to its exceptional cakes which they also create for special occasions and come in a rainbow of colors - is a vegan and vegetarian-friendly menu offering delicacies from Eastern Europe the authentic taste of which definitely merit the accolades it has earned.

Who would have thought one could find in Bali scrumptious “pirogies” - boiled dumplings filled with meat, dairy or vegetables - and “chebureki” - thin, crispy half moon shaped pastries with the same variety of fillings. Also on the menu are a hearty borscht, a nutty black bread and, from time to time, “Khachapuru arachuli,” a Georgian delicacy of homemade cheese and egg baked in canoe shaped “bowls” of dough.

Living in Asia I sometimes miss American food my parents served me growing up - things like hot dogs, burgers, meatloaf, barbecue, etc. But if I go just one generation back into my family history, what they are lovingly preparing at Usha is the “soul food” of my Polish, Ukranian and Georgian ancestors. In fact , were it not for the heat and humidity of SE Asia, if I closed my eyes while savoring a juicy dumpling at Usha I could conceivably be back at home in the “Old Country” eating the cooking of one of my Babushkas or dining at an Eastern European restaurant on the Lower East Side of my hometown of Manhattan like the legendary Veselka.

Date of visit: November 2019