Ways to Experience Traveling Spoon
from $48.00
from $52.00
from $60.00
More Info
All reviews corn fritters sister in law his wife balinese culture incredible experience cooking lesson cooking class family compound rice dewa dish preparation dotty pestle insight highlights mortar
Selected filters
Reviewed July 22, 2019 via mobile

Dewa picked us up from the meeting point and took us around the spice and herb garden, then walked us to his beautiful family complex! He has a wonderful garden, which is so peaceful (and an adorable dog called Doggie). We cooked a fantastic assortment of Balinese food, including corn fritters, chicken coconut curry, chicken in banana leaves, and more. Dewa introduced us to really delicious and special recipes which we wrote in a recipe book he gave to us - we will definitely try these again in the future!

We were so happy with our experience and would recommend it to anyone - couples, families with children, or large groups!Dewa also have us a wonderful insight into Balinese culture, giving us advice and explaining Buddhist concepts to us regarding food and our relationship to it. This made the whole experience very unique and stands out as one of our Indonesian highlights!

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

The half-day I spent with Putu is one I will always fondly remember. I learned so much about Putu’s culture, her life, and about Indonesian food! I cannot recommend this experience highly enough. I was warmly welcomed, and feel that I learned things about life in Bali that I couldn’t have learned any other way. When I return to Bali, I will definitely take another class from Putu!

Putu and her husband picked me up from my hotel and we visited the local market. We sampled some local goodies,
including an amazing turmeric drink, and I got to see the diversity of produce and people there. When we arrived at the family compound, I saw they had laid out my name in flowers—what a sweet welcome.

Putu gave me a fresh coconut to sip from as we worked, and a quick tour, which included the household temple. Later she showed me her extensive garden, the source of most of the things we cooked.

Then we set to work! The kitchen is a small building with three small rooms. One room has a wood-burning brick cookstove, one has a two-burner cooktop for grilling and using the wok, and one is where we chopped and ground things. The basis of much of the food is various pastes made from garlic, small onions or shallots, and spices such as peppers, ginger, etc. After mincing, they are ground in a granite mortar and pestle, which takes some serious muscle.

We made six (!!!)dishes: a fried tempeh dish with a sweet/spicy sauce, corn fritters, mixed veggies with ground fresh coconut (ground on what looked like a board with many tiny nails sticking out), chicken roll in a banana leaf, rice with sweet potato, and chicken satay with peanut sauce. Each dish used a different preparation method, and each was absolutely delicious!

We worked hard, and fortunately Putu’s really cute auntie helped too. It was also really fun—not just watching but actually doing, tasting and correcting seasoning, checking for balance, etc.

After all the cooking, Putu put the food out and garnished each dish with beautiful flowers and such cut from vegetables. Then we ate! And ate! So much good food! I really feel I’ll be able to come close when I make these dishes at home.

As we cooked and ate, Putu talked about her life and culture. She was very comfortable to be with, and there was no awkwardness about asking personal questions. I met her husband, three sons, and her dog, all of them charming.

After driving me back to my hotel, Putu emailed me the recipes.

I highly recommend taking a class from Putu. You will learn some great cooking skills, and a lot about life in Bali. Most of all, you will have a fun and memorable experience!

(Sorry—I can’t seem to upload any photos, but will try again when I get home)

Date of experience: April 2019
Traveling Spoon R, Guest Relations Manager at Traveling Spoon, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We are so glad you had a memorable Traveling Spoon experience and look forward to serving you again on your future travels!

Reviewed January 12, 2019 via mobile

Highly recommend this cooking class. Putu was flexible and responsive to a last minute schedule change after our booking, and picked us up with her husband. This is a cooking class, plus a local experience in a traditional Balinese home and family. 5 hours from pick up to drop off. Unique experience for us to create and enjoy local food made from scratch. Putu answered all our questions on Bali and its society. Exceeded expectations.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed December 31, 2018 via mobile

Stepping into tutu’s humble abode is a welcome breath of fresh air. Tucked amidst a quaint and idyllic little village, we were graciously greeted by Putu’s endearing family. We were surprised by flowers decorated with our names and a very large coconut drink. Snippets of their lifestyle were shared with us as we began to prepare our meal in earnest. Putu took great pride in explaining how each ingredient fits into each dish, which in turn, complements the overall theme of the meal that we were going to enjoy.
The cooking was fun and we participated in every facet, from dicing, grinding, steaming to frying. We were assisted by Putu’s sister in law as well as her auntie, who livened up the atmosphere with their easy-going nature and ready smiles.
We knew the food was going to be awesome whilst preparation was underway and it did not disappoint one bit. It took roughly 2 hours for the whole experience and we cooked 6 different typical Balinese dishes. It was a most memorable and wonderful cooking experience. We strongly recommend this to anyone looking for an authentic and genuine Balinese experience as Putu is a great host and cook! 12/10

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed December 31, 2018

I had a wonderful dinner with Debbie and her friend Meyliana. We had a selection of different traditional Balinese and Indonesian dishes. The company was also excellent. Debbie and Meyliana run a small school and it was really interesting to listen to all their stories.

I would certainly recommend Travelling Spoon and Debbie Huang to all.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed December 14, 2018 via mobile

This was one of the most heart-filling experiences I’ve ever had on a holiday. It was way more than a cooking class. I have found it difficult to put the experience into words.
Dewa gave my friend & I an insight into their culture & the beautiful philosophy that defines their way of life. It humbled me beyond words & I felt my heart instantly opening.
We started by walking through their family garden & through their community of sustainable growing.
The cooking class was held in their home compound containing beautiful gardens.
We made 5 spectacular dishes & Dewa kindly shared his knowledge of the medicinal/health properties underlying each of the dishes.
We didn’t spend the whole time cooking, but the time we spent getting there was well worth it.
If you’re looking for something more than a simple recipe this is a wonderful experience to have & I could not recommend it more highly.
I will definitely go again.

Date of experience: December 2018