“Merthayasa Bungalows: Good location, OK rooms, and nice pool”

and 1 more site!
Merthayasa Bungalows
Ranked #161 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Vancouver, Canada
“Merthayasa Bungalows: Good location, OK rooms, and nice pool”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed at the Merthayasa Bungalows for 9 nights in Oct-Nov 2011. After spending a week at a private villa in the rice fields of Penestanan, we were looking for something inexpensive closer to the action for the remainder of our stay in Ubud. For the price - 180,000 for a room without a/c - this place fit the bill.
We had a large fan-cooled room with two beds on the first floor of the second building in from Monkey Forest Road. The furnishings weren't much - one bamboo armoire with a few hangers - and a bathroom that wasn't very clean (but tolerable). We had no difficulty sleeping at night; the noise from the street didn't penetrate our room and we'd brought our own mosquito net.
A breakfast of fruit, banana pancakes and (strong) coffee was included and brought to our terrace each morning. The pool was one of the selling points of this place for us - it is a fair size and great to jump into after a hot day sightseeing in Ubud. Additionally, the bungalow staff were pleasant enough and were able to arrange some day tours for us.
We were happy enough with the place for the amount we paid.

Room Tip: The two older buildings have larger rooms but are closer to the street.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Worst accomadation in my history of travels, where do I start? Received 30+ ant bites from lying on the bed, toilet seat broken, fan rotates at a pitiful speed that does nothing to cool the room, paperthin walls you can hear your neighbours stomach grumbling below, beside and across from you, plus for good measure, throw in all the traffic noise from the road and you will kept up until you finally pass out. There is much better places that are the same price and cheaper than here, so my tip would be steer well clear of this place!
CONS: the pool

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Pros:
- Reasonable & affordable rates. Especially so, if without aircon.
- Daily breakfast included in the rate (I like their banana pancake and fresh fruits).
- Nice swimming pool.
- 5 minutes leisure stroll to Monkey Forest.
- Convenient location, and still can enjoy quietness when back to the room.
- Comfortable bed, and powerful fan (felt very cooling throughout my 3 nights stay).

Cons:
- Dressing table (ie. mirror ~ wobbling). Not too much of a concern to me, since I don't really required it.
- Unfunctional wardrobe. Nil hangers provided; anyway, doesn't really matter since the wardrobe is for "display" only!
- Space/side between dressing table and wardrobe were very dusty. And, I really meant it!

Since my wife wasn't with me during this trip, then the negative areas were still bearable for me. Otherwise, it is a big NO NO!!!

Anyway, wouldn't mind going back and stay if I'm visiting Ubud alone. But, will definitely reconsider if visiting as a couple.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank tcs747asa
France
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The hotel is located at the busies road, 100m to Monkey Forest. For me, it's a little bit too noisy since you can easily hear the motorbike pass by outside on the road. I wore ear plugs when sleeping during my staying there. Also if other guests talk to each other, even in their own rooms, you can hear them.
Room is simple and acceptable. Breakfast is simple and acceptable.
Judging from the price, if you don't have any other expectation, it is good value.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have wet smell. Better to choose a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lian43
Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2009

This is a small hotel. We paid 250,000 RP for a double bed and an extra single on the floor for our 3 year old. I wouldn't say they were the crispest, whitest hotel sheets I've ever seen, and I did resort to some incense to try and flush out the musty, wet smell in the room, but the price was fair for what we got. The guys at reception were friendly and ever present. Breakfast of banana pancakes, fresh fruit and tea or coffee was adequate and always served with a smile. The hotel has only 8 rooms (?), which meant the highlight... the brand new and beautiful swimming pool... was never too crowded. It's not a huge resort pool, but still lovely. It was also a delight for our daughter to have some of the local kids from the family come and swim and play in the pool. The position of this hotel is perfect, especially if you have small children who are keen on the monkey forest. It's so close we went twice in three days. It terms of shopping and eating, it is literally right on Jl. Monkey Forest Road (no hellish stairways as in some of the more up market hotels up over the bridge in Tjampuan), close to everything. We did think about moving to something more luxurious after the first night, but to be honest, many of the rooms I looked at were similar, but they did have a TV and maybe aircon, and often more beautiful gardens and surrounds. For the extra $30 to $45 per night, we couldn't really justify it. We were happy enough at Merthayasa for our 3 nights. So no luxury here, but perfect if you want to save a few dollars and still be in the heart of it all... and a pleasant place to cool off.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family