“Hanoman Central”

Ranked #229 of 526 Ubud B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“Hanoman Central”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is a sweet place located on Hanoman right across the street from the awesome Kaffe. It's well located to take the bus and to do most of your central ubud things on foot. Make sure your room does not face actually Hanoman -- the traffic is noisy and irritating. I'm not sure that you can escape the traffic noise in Ubud at certain times of the year, however.

Here's what I liked: Great breakfast -- the friendly worker brings a thermos of boiled water and leaves it just outside of your door at your balcony, along with tea and coffee. You can get up and do your coffee/hot drink thing without actually going anywhere. Very nice touch. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bathroom is good too. The fan was effective -- I'm not sure that A/C is necessary in Ubud, then again I don't generally pay extra for A/C anywhere. I wish the room had a fridge, but then I wish for this everywhere.

Personally, I found it a little expensive for what it was, but I might be out of step with the going rate of travel these days. I booked early on Agoda and paid almost $30 per night. To be able to travel for several weeks solo, this inho is a premium price. I reserved because I was on an evening flight to Denpasar and knew that the last thing I wanted to do upon arrival was drag my pack to any number of small pension type housing arrangements. It made a very good impression on me after the 30 plus hours of travel it took me to get there. This is saying a lot because I'm usually disoriented whenever I get somewhere. I also liked the convenience. I didn't like the traffic noise, but ear plugs alleviated that for the most part...more on this later.

The service was lovely and I was assisted in getting the Perama bus onward to Lovina. There seemed to be a lot of civic pride and the owner spoke at length to me about the history of this part of Ubud and some of its family stories. It was a great introduction to Ubud in particular and Bali in general. I must admit, though, that I was really shocked by the amount of traffic of motorcycles, cars, buses: you name it. I've travelled elsewhere in Asia and I'm told that this traffic has reached a crisis in Bali -- it's obvious why this is, but I am usually on foot and so this place was convenient. You'd need some form of transit to explore further afield.

I returned to Ubud at the end of this particular trip and opted to stay closer to the rice paddies, further north on Kajeng. I discovered that I prefer that area, though the accommodation at Gusti's was more expensive and less spacious. The area was awesome and more in keeping with the kind of experience I'd hoped to have in Ubud.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face Hanoman. The higher level the better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at bungalow no 1, ground floor. I agree with previous reviewer, as motorbikes are parked right in front of it, it was very noisy at night. Also as it was on the side street, you could hear everyone on the street. The room was quite spacious but very basic, not very clean, including the shower. There is no a/c just a fan. The location is great if you want to stay in the central Ubud. It is close to the restaurants etc. However, when we went for a ride on the motorbike, it looked like there are much nicer areas of Ubud. It was a great option for budget accomodation but next time I would go for something else, in a nicer area.

Room Tip: Room 1 on the ground floor is very noisy. Maybe rooms on the 1st floor are more quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had a great stay at Candra Asri and found it a really good value for my money. The location is great and the room (I had #5) was simple yet clean and all I needed. Breakfast is served on each room's balcony space, and this quickly became a highlight; all I had to do was step out in the morning and pour myself a cup of tea and breakfast would appear within minutes. Breakfast is simple, a bread or crepe and fruit, but that suited me well. The staff was the highlight to me, though. Everyone took the time to get to know me and help me, and I felt that they were genuinely looking out for me and helped me get a good deal (I double checked) on tours and a ticket to Gili. The location was great; my room had windows facing the street which could get a little loud, but I can sleep through a lot, so for me the only bother was when the restaurant across the street had a band that covered a lot of Journey songs until late in the evening. But I can't fault Candra Asri for that! All in all, it is an excellent value, but the good people there are the big highlight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank onimity
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed in bungalow no.1, on the ground floor, with our verandah basically on the street. It was quite noisy due to motorbikes passing by. The room was spacious and nicely furnished, the bathroom was good enough (shower indeed mostly HOT) but not very clean. Room service made up the room every day. Breakfast was basic - plain toast or banana toast or banana pancake, always accompanied by fruit salad. Our host was incredibly friendly and helpful, the "good soul" of this place. We booked our onward journey to Gili throuhh Candra Asri receiving a generous discount. The location on Jl. Hanoman is great, close to shops and bars. I'm not sure I'd stay here again, it seems Ubud has a lot to offer, but it was OK.

• Stayed April 2012
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

Candra Astri was nicely located just off Jl Hanoman on a small lane.
The taxi from the airport had a bit of trouble locating it but a quick phone call to the hotel cleared that up.
On arrival we were given choice of a room on the first or third floor.
We opted for the 3rd floor room #7 and were delighted with it.
A view over the roofs of Ubud, rice field, palm trees and it is the only room up there.
It had an outdoor bathroom and shower and this was a very nice feature.
The staff and owners were warm, friendly and always around if we needed them.
The room did not have air conditioning but I doubt we would have used it as the temperature was quite pleasant there.
Nyoman, the owner, took us around the grounds one morning while he did the offerings and we also attended a Kecak performance by the group that he and his wife are in.
Ketut, one of the staff, would bring breakfasts up to our patio each morning and was able to arrange tours and tickets for us.
Our only disappointment was that our room was booked for the Balinese New Year and we were not able to extend our stay there.
This was one of our favourite places to stay during our trip.

Room Tip: Room 7 on top floor has good views from patio. Ketut can arrange tours and performance tickets for...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
traveling!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

This well run place, with cozy rooms and amazing staff, is a great place to stay in Ubud. Overlooking a tiny rice field (more of two blocks of plantation), you can sip your complimentary tea and enjoy the view. It's very well located, and you can rent good motorbikes for visiting the surroundings of Ubud (a must!). I spend 9 beautiful days in Ubud, and Candra Asri was a good part of that since it gave me all the commodities of a higher budget accommodation.
A place to return, again and again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank ruysolorzano
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

A cute guesthouse, balinese home styled. Nice sized with a cute terrace balcony with rice fields view. Amazing and helpful staff, they helped us with our huge amount of heavy luggage and try their best to make our stay as welcoming and pleasant as possible. Value for money with daily breakfast sent to our rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple