“Yummy monkey”
Review of Three Monkeys

Three Monkeys
Ranked #69 of 789 Restaurants in Ubud
Description: Make a perfect start to your day with elegant breakfast parfaits, home baked pastries and specialty coffees. Lunch on wholesome wraps, crispy baguettes, and gourmet wood fired pizza. Graze on peanut crusted prawns with green mango salsa, authentic spanakopita, and fresh organic salads. Dine on local Balinese specialties such as smoked organic farm chicken, and sate lilit, tuck into a hearty char-grilled Australian Black Angus sirloin steak or grilled vegetable and haloumi salad. Finish with a dreamy dessert of chocolate hazelnut pate served with vanilla ice cream and slices of perfectly ripe mango, or giant lemon cupcake layered with dollops of cream and plump fresh strawberries.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We went to Three Monkeys for dinner on Feb 11. It had been raining that afternoon so the outside chairs were a bit wet. We decided to sit inside and were offered the upstairs dining area which only has a few tables. We were the only ones upstairs so we had our own private dining room! The tables downstairs were fairly busy too. Try to get a table overlooking the rice paddy out the back. The staff were friendly and accommodating. On the night we dined, there may have been a small electrical transformer issue as half way through our meal, the lights dimmed considerably and the fan stopped working. Not great on a warm Ubud night, but the staff quickly fixed the problem.

We shared fish cakes and chilli salt squid for starters which were very flavourful. The nasi goreng was delicious, served with a spicy sambal. I'm of Asian decent and very rarely order fried rice when I'm out as my mum's is the best. However, I thought I'd give it a try and was very happy I did. It's almost as good as mum's! My husband had the beef rendang which he says was "bagus!" We shared the double choc brownie stack for dessert as we had read a review on Trip Advisor saying that it's a must try. The brownie was cut into three pieces and served with icecream. It was good, but I've had better. Try the granitas too - refreshing and delicious! I had the lychee guava. Along with a mojito and large beer, our bill came to $54AUD. Not super cheap but the food was tasty.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Going by the majority of previous reviews things must have changed . Unless these were written by breatharians or supermodels ? The food itself was quite flavorsome but the tight-fisted size of the meals made this (by Bali standards) a very expensive restaurant indeed. My prawn salad only had 2 prawns in it and the spring rolls, although quite tasty, were the shortest and skinniest I have ever seen anywhere in the world. Dear Western owner, (I assume you are are not a native Indonesian, please forgive me if I,m wrong ) with the prices you charge and the less than western wages you pay your staff, I'm sure you could afford to be a bit more generous with your portions !! This is Bali and all the ingredients for these particular meals were locally sourced at a cost of next to nothing in comparison to the prices you charge. I have had far superior main course meals (containing much more of the same ingredients) in Bali for a fraction of the cost of one of your micro-entrees. Our entire party left your establishment hungry but our greatest weight loss was from our wallets :)

1  Thank EdDaintree
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Set amongst the rice files, quiet and pretty. We chose to eat more western food...the pizza was great. The service was good. I would recommend...

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Had a drink and dinner, both not very good.

I ordered Tonic mint, there was hardly any mint in it, I drink this often and thhis is the worst I have had.

For food, I had the Japanese noodles with chicken breast. The waitress asked how I wanted my chicken, well-done, medium or rare! I was shocked, I said "are you sure it is chicken"? Yeah she said, I asked her if she knew that you never should serve uncooked chicken and she said that some customers like it and that they want to please the customers. Weird!

Anyway, the dish came and it was a very small portion. The noodles were cold and that did not go well with the veggies, the chicken breast was nothing to write home about.

This restaurant is not cheap (120.000 for 1 soft drink and the noodles) so I really can not think of 1 reason for going back there.

After leaving the restaurant, I went straight to Mangga Madu for some nice Indonesian food to fill my belly.

3  Thank Fredinasia
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this restaurant was impressive. It was a teeny bit pricey compared to nearby restaurants but it's because the food, service, and atmosphere are unbelievable. LOVED the rice terrace setting. I ordered the prawn laksa, spring rolls, and chicken satays. Delish!!