“great setting, good Japanese”
Review of Ryoshi Ubud

Ryoshi Ubud
Ranked #315 of 746 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Ubud Bali
“great setting, good Japanese”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

enjoy dinner in nice romantic setting in one of Bali's best Japanese restaurants. For affordable prices !

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth
“Neither bad nor good”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The reviews here seem to cover multiple places. For posterity: I'm reviewing the Ryoshi on Hanoman in Ubud circa Nov 2012.

The Sashimi Salad (50k Rp inc tax) was decent. The salad part good (lettuce & seaweed), a tasty dressing provided on the aide so you could get an amount you like. The sashimi was so thinly sliced and/or inexpertly prepared that the slices didn't hold together as one piece. As a result of their size it was difficult to discern a taste (unless you dipped them in soy).

The Miso soup (15k Rp inc tax) was, well, miso soup. The seaweed in it seemed fresh, as did the two minuscule (less than 1cm cubed) blocks of tofu.

The Yakitori (grilled stuff on skewers) was actually very good. I had the Nagi (eggplant) (10k Rp) and pork & leek (15k Rp). They both were savoury treats. The pork was fatty and salty, which made it delicious. The leek was grilled likely with oil and salt, also tasty. The eggplant was coated in a savoury sauce which was also very good. None of it was over or under cooked, it was just right. The price was also very attractive.

Service was, as many of the reviews describe, a bit iffy. Not bad, per se. Just a bit lax. I was glad I ate early so it wasn't busy and it was easy to flag someone down. But the food came out quickly and the staff were pleasant.

The decor was good, quite pretty entrance and serviceable interior. I'm guessing the reviews saying otherwise came before the place was fitted out. Both raised platform Japanese style and regular tables available. There is a gardeny water feature area with Japanese style seating but frankly it isn't very pretty there. Maybe it was just bad lighting.

To top it off I had... how to put this delicately... digestion problems of the lavatorial variety that night. As I hadn't eaten anything else in the preceding 24 hours and it cleared up by the next night it's hard to blame anything but this meal (I did have one dose of Imodium in the early morning). This, however, is a hard thing to truly judge them on. The bacteria here is slightly different to the bacteria at home. And while you can minimise the amount in/on food you can't even approach actually eliminating it. It's a possibility no matter what you eat or where. Again, it just falls into that category of "slightly off-putting".

In the end, everything but the Yakitori was just slightly off. If I went again I'd likely order a wide arrangement of the Yakitori, ignoring the rest of the menu (except miso). It really was good.

Columbus, Ohio
“If you need a change from local cuisine”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Japanese in Ubud! Nice place, upmarket and stylish. Service good, but not professional. Food is tasty and OK price. Indoor and outdoor seating.

Visited November 2012
Konstanz, Germany
“Gili Trawangan Location Reflects Negative Management Policy Changes”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I wrote a review of the Ubud location after visiting last fall (2011) and on several prior occasions (2007-2010). I was underimpressed by the new Ubud location (a recent review likes it, but I think it used to have a view and now is in a strip mall), but found the food to be as good as prior visits. I had also visited the Ryoshi location on Gili Trawanagan on prior visits to Indonesia, and I returned this year to find that Ryoshi location unworthy of the Ryoshi reputation. First, the fish slices were as small as you could barely get away with. Barely. Service was literally terrible; I ordered a beer as I was sitting down (as did my neighboring table) and tried unsuccessfully to flag down a server for almost fifteen minutes to get it. The server didn't know the menu and I had to repeat myself several times to make sure he got the order right; I even speak decent enough Indonesian so that usually is not a problem. The final straw came as I made payment. On all prior visits to both locations, (probably 8-9 total) this time they refused to take a credit card, then when I pushed they would, but added 3% (sometimes in Indo 2% is added, I don't whine about that; it's minor). But when I asked to use AmEx, which they no longer accept (warning sign!) I was then socked with the sometimes-you-get-it-sometimes-you-don't 10% "tax." When I asked to speak to a manager because one of the reasons I go there is BECAUSE they accept AmEx, don't (didn't...) charge the 2-3% and never added the "tax," the manager was "unavailable," leaving a terrified, inexperienced waiter who I did not give a hard time because I felt sorry for him. Terrible. Management. Policy. In short, it is pretty clear that if the Gili T operation is being managed this way, there is a serious downgrade in order.

• Visited October 2012
Blue Mountains, Canada
“An enjoyable experience...”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by friends, and did not disappoint. There was a surprisingly extensive menu, and we took the opportunity to share a number of different dishes. I was a bit disappointed with the Gyoza, but every thing else we tried was well prepared, presented and tasty. There has been a lot of discussion below about the service. This is not fine dining and this is Ubud, and I didn't find the service any better or worse than what you find in most of the restaurants in the area, and of this price range. The staff were a bit slow, but very friendly, and helpful with menu. My advise is relax, enjoy the unhurried atmosphere and the good food if you are in the mood for Japanese cuisine.

• Visited September 2012

Been to Ryoshi Ubud? Share your experiences!