“Chased down the stairs from the bathroom by a big dog!!”
Review of Kafe

Kafe
Ranked #91 of 954 Restaurants in Ubud
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Great music, healthy foods, yummy desserts & true espresso…all in the heart of Ubud… The food and beverages at Kafe reflect the owners’ dedication to a healthy lifestyle, using Bali harvested chemical-free & organic produce whenever possible, the kitchen produces a mouth-watering variety of exciting vegetarian and non-vegetarian options for every meal. Many visitors return again and again to meet one another and work their way through the menu.Inside Kafe is a shop called Kafe Kares, selling environmentally friendly products of which a percentage of profits goes to charitable projects throughout Indonesia. The Kafe Kares Project sells organic food, eco friendly crafts and health products made by small local businesses that are committed to Bali's social, economic and environmental sustainability. The project is also supported through cash donations & donations of goods which are sold at Kafe Kares. Kafe has free wireless that gets turned off at the peak lunch and dinner hours, but is on most of the day.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The food was quite nice, and the coffee was also pretty good. However! The whole experience was ruined by a big unrestrained dog.
When I finished my meal I needed to use the restroom. I went up the stairs and found it around back. On my way back from the bathroom, a large dog literally came charging at me and chased me down the stairs.
I am very phobic of dogs so naturally I was extremely upset. I couldn't contain my fear and (very embarrassingly) burst into tears. The 3-4 staff members standing around all burst out laughing at me. To be fair, I did get a half-hearted "sorry, sorry" through the giggles.
I will NOT be going back! @Kafe, just a thought, maybe you could restrain your dog??

2  Thank SarahTreeTravers
balimeg, Owner at Kafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Hi Sarah
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We truly apologize for the bad experience you had of Kafe, especially with our dog & the Staff. We are looking into the matters that you mentioned and will deal with the situation appropriately.

I hope this has not ruined your vacation and that you can still enjoy Ubud.

If you would like to try Kafe one more time, to get a second impression, do let us know, we would be happy to buy you lunch.

All the best & thank you again for the feedback.

Meghan & Franky

Write a ReviewReviews (1,727)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Hot Lemongrass, ginger and honey is an amazing drink on a hot day it is somehow refreshing and so heavenly. For lunch the vegetarian lumpia are great. Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Good fresh food. Excellent portion sizes. Really good quality at a reasonable price.

Ordered delivery and realistic time frame given for delivery.

Very impressed

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Sharing the Ubud vibe, great atmosphere, good food, accessible prices and a wester style combined.
The food is reaaaaaly good!
Good place to chill and make new friends
Indonesian Staff is incompentent, just dont expect much from them, incredibly low level of english

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I went there every day we were in Ubud because the food was so delicious!

The first day we shared a Mezze platter on which every item was fresh, light, flavorful, and homemade...including the pitas! We also enjoyed some lime sodas which were fresh and welcome on a hot day.

The second day we get Mel's Big Salad, which had a rainbow of different colors and textures and was topped with a delicious tahini dressing. We finished it with an awesome raw carrot currant cake.

I already miss it!

Been to Kafe? Share your experiences!