“Lovely with central location and quiet”
Review of Ubud Bungalow

and 1 more site!
Ubud Bungalow
Ranked #62 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We were delighted to have stayed here, with our only regret being that it was for one night. We were very pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was, yet in the centre of Ubud. The staff were very attentive and welcoming, room was excellent, the pool lovely and breakfast was of high quality. The grounds are beautifully maintained offering plenty of shade although all rooms have their own balconies. We shall certainly return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Patrick N

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was my 3rd stay at Ubud Bungalow and I dare say that, with every stay, the experience gets better and better! They now have the new Deluxe rooms, which I think is the same, or maybe better than a lot of the luxury villas in Bali.
Kadek, Agung and Nengah at reception was very very good as well as all the other staff at the bungalow. And Pak Wayan, who manages everything, is a very helpful, friendly and ever smiling person.
Will definitely return and probably be my home everytime I'm in Ubud!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Idzuan2014
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We have just returned from a weeks wonderfull stay here. We spent the same time here last year and were thrilled to have the same great experiance. The new Up Market rooms are finished and very professionally decorated. There are three options now, fan rooms, aircon rooms and then the new ones wich are priced acordingly. We have stayed in both the fan and aircon romms and were happy with both. Wayan and his staff are friendly happy and very professional in their approach. The gardend are maintained imaculatly and rooms are spotless, airy and in traditional Balinese style which means that they are cool. Breakfast is in a beautiful surounding with forrest sounds drifting up from the little valley you overlook. Cant praise this place enough and will deffinitly stay there again. Nice quiet pool area and although you are central on Monkey Forrest Road you step through the stone pillar entrance and can't hear traffic at all. Staff likght mozzie coils every night so we haven't had any issues with being bitten even at night sitting out on the verandah. There is also a 24 hour shop right next door for those midnight snacks, extra bottle of bintang or water and last minute provisions for the day. Last but certainly not least ALL the staff are friendly, smiling and interested in your day and trying their hardest to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: talk to Wayan about your requirements and he will be only too happy and honestly try to help you. NB...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank BigJezHerveyBay
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I was very excited to stay at this hotel due to it's high rating on TA. However, I found it very average in all respects, and would gladly pay a bit more to stay at another establishment where I had stayed on a previous visit to Ubud.

I guess it all started off on the wrong note: although I had let them know twice that I would be arriving very early, no-one was expecting me and the receptionist actually asked me if I was checking out! From here it all went down-hill. I could understand that my room wasn't ready at this early hour, but with a bunch of rooms available, it would have been great if they had offered me a place to take a shower. But I had to go to another hotel just to use the toilet. In fact, I got the distinct idea that management was trying to get me to upgrade to one of the over-priced and never-rented superior rooms so that they could rent out my standard bungalow.

I had the bungalow right next to the pool, and I would recommend that you ask to be moved immediately should this be your fate. In the afternoons the staff play noisy games right by the window, and in the mornings the verandah of the bungalow is used by housekeeping staff waiting for guests to leave. Where is the respect for the guests' privacy? Really, one should not have to ask for the exclusive use of your verandah!

The standard bungalows are large, but old. Especially the bathrooms are in need of some TLC. I twice mentioned that the bath was not draining properly and was told that it was in fact fine. A great annoyance was the fact that my room was not cleaned, even though the housekeeping staff had been sitting on the verandah all morning. Whoever is in charge of housekeeping is clearly not doing their job.

Breakfast was not bad, discounting the very confused service and the shells in my scrambled eggs. I do think it's a great pity that it's not possible to get any sort of drink after breakfast. There are so many staff members around all day that it seems quite feasible that basic drinks could be made available.

For me the location of the hotel is unfortunately another negative. To be bombarded by offers of taxi's and massages every time you stick your nose out the property gets annoying pretty fast, and the traffic congestion certainly does not make for pleasant walking. This, however, is no fault of the hotel's and something that I should have foreseen.

After all of that, it has to be said both the pool and garden are fantastic. The garden is beautifully kept by a very friendly groundsman and the pool is spotlessly maintained. It was lovely to spend time here and was certainly a redeeming factor during an otherwise disappointing experience.

Room Tip: Not next to the pool!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank DiveDiva21
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stopped here because our daughter wanted a hotel near the Monkey Forest, which is a short walk away. They have three levels of rooms, all at very reasonable prices for the luxury level. Since it was not hot during our two days there, we stayed in the oldest, cheapest bungalows with no AC, but ceiling fans that were enough. These are simple bungalows with no luxury extras, but we paid about $28 per night. The pool was clean and perfect for our 4-year old. Wi-fi is free. Service, as in most of Bali, was fast and friendly. Breakfast was excellent, with American, European, and Balinese choices, each with with a large tropical fruit plate, all included in the reasonable price.

The middle range rooms have AC and are beautiful traditional Balinese bungalows for about $55 per night, and the newest bungalows are modern-style rooms as nice as most luxury villas in the area for about $92 per night.

This place does not compete with the isolated, luxurious, and romantic resorts all around Ubud, but it's a good choice for a convenient location, good prices, excellent breakfast and friendly service.

Room Tip: Most will want the first floor bungalows in all three price ranges to avoid the steps, but all the t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ObservantGuest
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Loved this place! Never used the pool but it always looked inviting. The staff was very friendly and tried to help whenever possible. There were some gaps with communication but it's to be expected when traveling. I never felt uncomfy traveling alone.

The only con was getting a massage . It wasn't good at all! The doors to the cabana wouldn't close properly and I felt exposed by the pool. I suggest going to a place called Zen past the monkey forest.

Otherwise, thus place was centrally located and easy walking distance to attractions. It was very clean and tidy too.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank stewad-s
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Great price per night for an un air conditioned room (fan). The BEST breakfast I have had in hotels EVER. Cooked to order. Fresh and delicious. Helpful, friendly and kind staff. Had planned to stay one night but loved it so much we stayed for three!!

Very close to monkey forest.

Could NOT fault a thing about this great boutiquey accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family