“Amazing experience”

Elephant Safari Park & Lodge
Ranked #19 of 526 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé & I spent 1 night at the elephant safari park lodge. It was an absolute blast. From getting picked up from our room by an elephant to go to dinner; to bathing & swimming with them the next morning- it was a great experience! Dinner was a buffet & the food was delicious. Breaky was fine- nothing too special but still nice. The absolute highlight was getting to see the 2 month old baby elephant- she was so adorable. All the staff were great- happy for us to feed, touch & take as many photos as we pleased. It was clear that the elephants are very well taken care of. . Definitely recommend staying at this place, we will never forget the experience!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Rjnejs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I visited the "Park" in May. We were looking forward to spending some time here,believing that by the title of this Safari Park,it would be in a natural type setting and park. The grounds are immaculate, the workers and trainers seem to be very close and caring of the elephants. When we arrived the mom and new baby were playing freely in a pool area,which was lovely. We decided that we would do the ride.... As you walk along we began to realize this was a very controlled park,the walk consisted of a 20 min walk along a paved path through a forest area in a circle. These animals do this approx 5 times in slow season and all day in the busy season. We also passed their holding/pen area which consists of a large circle of concrete with a chain that attaches to their ankle to keep them contained. We asked why they are restrained ,the answer was "because they eat everything". Safari Park??? I think more zoo. If we had known this prior to going,I would not have. I have to think there must be some better way of containment with some ability for them to move freely. I live in a farming community and know most animals can be penned with more freedom. I do commend the owners from rescuing these beautiful animals from Sumatra but I believe they could do better than having them chained. I also appreciate the boost to the local economy and jobs that this company creates. We were just really disappointed in the fact that it is really a great zoo but certainly not a Safari Park. Just know before you go.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank verbc
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was our 2nd time here. Came here in 2007 and it was great but the lodge was being built, so we returned and stayed at the lodge. This is a luxury lodge and it is great; also great spa.
The food is super good.
The owner here rescued all these Elephants from being chained in Sumatra with no food or water and just left to die. It took weeks to get them to Bali. These elephants are treated like royalty now and they deserve it.
When you stay at the lodge, you are picked up for dinner by an elephant. Also, you can bath and swim with the elephants. All of this for a good price and the money goes to taking care of the elephants and also trying to rescue more elephants in Sumatra.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Missy A
Khao Lak, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I LOVED the Elephant Safari Park! I had been a day visitor at the Thai Elephant Conservation Center (also very nice) and another elephant center in India so wasn't sure what else to expect here, but the whole experience of staying at the lodge gave me a chance to bond with the elephants in a new way.

The Elephant Safari Park has around 30 elephants, including a baby only 2 months old! We were able to watch the baby elephant take a bath with its mother - it kept playing in the water and splashing itself and cuddling its trunk with its mother. Truly an unforgettable and beautiful sight, and just like Planet Earth but in real life! Getting an elephant ride to dinner was also amazing, and the show and watching the elephants during breakfast was delightful. I highly recommend this even if you only have 1 night - but if you want to experience more of central Bali, you can arrange fun tours through the center to do more sightseeing and adventuring (mountain biking, whitewater rafting, rice terraces). I wish I had done this so I could spend more time with the elephants and still see the surrounding area.

For other services: the Bali style massage was great - very good for sore muscles. Also, the rooms are gorgeous! We enjoyed the restaurant as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Liz_Lemonade
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Visited the Elephant Safari Park in Taro, Ubud on 16/05/13. We booked directly through Bali Adventure Tours and as part of the package received return transfers from our accommodation in Jimbaran. The journey from Jimbaran can take up to 2hrs. Upon arrival we were introduced to our guide Wayan who spoke English remarkably well, was down to earth, knowledgeable and had a great sense of humour. We begun our tour with a 30 minute elephant ride through the beautifully kept grounds. It was nice that the elephants also had habitat which resembled jungle as well. My mother and I rode on Daisy the Elephant, whilst my brother had Dina, who was always munching on some foliage during the ride. Our elephant guides provided commentary along the way and had a great sense of humour. As part of the elephant ride you ride into the bathing lake with your elephant. This is a great moment to capture on camera! There are plenty of oppurtunities for other photo moments with the elephants whilst you feed them. The other highlight was seeing baby elephant Fajar who was only born in March. She is so adorable and enjoyed her swim in the bathing lake under her mother Yanti's supervision. The buffet lunch provided as part of the package was delicious and provided a good variety of food. The staff were also very friendly and attentive. The amenities provided were clean. I could have bought half of the souvenir shop as there were so many beautiful souvenirs from jewellery, oil burners, books, statues, etc. The museum was also very interesting and contained some incredible artifacts. I would definitely recommend a visit to anyone visiting Bali as it is a very close up encounter with these beautiful Sumatran elephants. We will definitely return!! Congratulations to Nigel Mason for creating such a beautiful sanctuary for these precious elephants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Aussie_Mermaid
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I went to the Elephant park not knowing what to expect - Nigel , The Founder is from Australia and has done a wonderful job with rescueing Sumatran Elephants from Sumatra concentration camp and bringing them down to his park in Bali to ensure they have a good lifestyle. The elephants are treated wonderful but the Mahouts (trainers) I LOVED EVERYTHING about this park, You can wash, bathe and ride the elephants and if you stay the night - The elephant picks you up from your balcony and takes you to dinner! We spent 3 days and that was perfect timing to see and do everything.

The elephant park is far away from most towns ( 30mins into Ubud on the shuttle bus)

Room Tip: We stayed in the cheapest room and it was still amazing - Although you have to walk to be picked up...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ERIN W
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We did a rafting and safari package with Bali adventures. I recommend the package as its an affordable way to have a full day of activities and see a lot. We stayed in Jibaran and the safari park was sooooo far away so the package includes your transfers which is awesome.

We had lunch at the elephant safari which was some of the best food I've had on my trip thus far.

Do yourself a favour and pay the extra ten dollars to swim with the elephants! Guaranteed an amazing picture.

I do question the method of chaining the elephants to their post with a foot of chain when they're not giving tours... Seems cruel to me. However I'm not an expert on elephant handling so I don't know if that's necessary for safety purposes...Overall awesome experience.

• Stayed May 2013