“Elephant adventure”

Elephant Safari Park & Lodge
Ranked #23 of 599 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We stayed two night in the Elephant Safari Park and had the best time. I had a T'shirt painted by Debi which was an amazing experience.
As a resident of the park we were able to get up close and personal with the Elephants. We bathed and swam with them.
There were three babies which we just spent hours watching and playing with.
The best room was a Park View room. I would wake up during the night and spend a few minuets just looking out from the balcony to see an elephant sleeping in front of our room.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank accentonandyroo

Reviewed April 12, 2011

Nigel, Yanie, sons and to ALL the wonderful staff ....

Sitting here in the restaurant now, thinking just how awe inspiring this park is !!! Truly amazing how far these elephants have come, although a natural habitat is ideal , it's no good when your home is completely destroyed and you're tied to a tree.

Words escape me for just how well these elephants have recovered and how they are thriving here. An absolutely tremendous effort, they are marvelous, intelligent and majestic animals.

And from a tourist point of view , if 5 star is a top rating this sanctuary scores an easy 10 !    The service and accommodation here is out of this world. The grounds are stunning, the room is impeccable and the atmospheric veiws and serenity, truly breathtaking.

Thank you so much for memories and deep emotions that will be treasured for a life time!

We still have another night here, although we would love to stay forever! ;) We will definitely   return again, next time with our daughter.

Blue and Rach.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank BluenRach
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We spent four nights at the Elephant Safari Park and Lodge in late March 2011. We thought that may be a bit long, but it turned out to be a perfect time. We got to know the various elephants and mahouts much better than we could have if we were only there for a night or two. It's an amazing experience and nowhere in the world can you get so close to elephants in a safe environment. The elephants are well looked after and although it's not a perfect world the conditions would be the best in Asia for captive elephants, and certainly a better future for them than if they were not rescued by the park owner, Nigel Mason. The hotel rooms are comfortable and spacious. The food and service at the restaurant exceeded our expectations and every meal was memorable. Prices were reasonable for a hotel that is in a remote location so we felt overall it was very good value. My wife used the spa centre and enjoyed it.

3  Thank hdontour
Reviewed April 3, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 1 night in March 2011. We got an internet deal for a Garden Room however it was still much more expensive than what we are used to paying on our holidays. However it was worth every dolalr spent. Our room was great with a jungle/elephant theme. We got a chauffered pick up from our room to a romantic dinner in the park amongst the elephants. The food at dinner was AMAZING!

The park opens to daily visitors between 9am-5pm but as we were staying there we got to do lots of things once the visitors left which was alot more special and less crowded. We got to feed the babies and give the elephants a bath. We even got to go swimming with the elephants in the main lake which was truly memorable.

In our room fee we got breakfast included. Breakfast was ok.....I was probably expecting something a bit more fancy from it......we got to breakfast at about 8am and alot of the food was in the warmers but it was cold. Included in our room fee also was the elephant chauffer to dinner (oh and dinner is not included in the price), a night safari ride (approx 30min), a day safari ride (approx 20min) and unlimited interactions with the elephants in the park.

Just be mindful that Taro is quite a long drive from Kuta/Legian, and there is not alot else other than see the village to do there other than the elephants. 1 night was perfect for us and we hired a driver to take us there and pick us up.

Highly recommended to all!

3  Thank Australia25
Reviewed March 23, 2011

I have so much to say about the Safari Elephant Lodge in Taro! It was an amazing time! And everything was so well done! The staff was quite welcoming and accomodating, the food was excellent, the room was the perfect size and layout for a family of 4. And best of all the Elephants were amazing!

My husband had his doubts driving 2.5 hours into Bali with a 4 year old and 8 year old. But I kept telling him how great it looked on line. Sure enough when we got there he seemed content, but when we went into our room and opened the balacony doors my husband's (and all of us for that matter) jaw dropped! He said "holy smokes, this place is sooo worth the money!" That coming from a very frugle man!

Each day was scheduled for us, which was nice knowing what to expect and where to go and where to be. With plenty of down time built in. However it was flexible enough that we could make changes as needed for the kids. We washed elephants both mornings after a fabulous breakfast, played with and watched the baby elephants. watched elephants training, taking baths and walks. We watched the elephant show, took an elephant ride then it was lunch time! The menu is great for such a small place they have a nice variety. And great choices for the kids too.

After lunch we saw another show (a little different than the first, but the kids are so young they just wanted to watch it over and over again!). Then our kids were painted by the elephant. Again another moment my husband said "This is soooo worth every penny" Our kids were estatic! We then fed more elephants and took a walk. Took a little rest and showered for dinner. Our elephant taxi picked us up, we did the night safari, watchend another show and ate a great leisurely dinner.

We left wanting more! we stayed two nights and when we left we decided 3 would have been perfect! But it was time to catch a plane so we left. But with so many wonderful memories!

We never felt rushed or bothered in anyway. No one asked for tips or anything like that (we experienced in Thailand at another elephant ride). We were never pushed to buy other things or do things that were unexpected.

You may read some reviews with people saying the Elephants were not treated well. I can assure you they are treated quite well. They are treated alot like family. Understand that they are teathered from time to time (mostly just at night or when they are not with a trainer) for their safety, guest safety, and I believe by Bali law they have to be. We sat for hours watching them, 6 am to 9 pm - how they were cared for, treated, trained etc. I never saw any mishandling of them. And we have been to places in India, China and Thailand where serious animal abuse is common.

The owner, Mr Mason is very well educated and always open to questions and concerns. We had a lovely chat with him our last night there. We were quite lucky to have had this experience!

Thank you to Mr. Mason and his awesome staff for helping our family create one of the most memorable times of our lives! My daughter still talks about it, and insists we will come back soon!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ppour
Reviewed March 17, 2011

This was our first trip to Bali and being animal lovers we decided that we would stay here for 3 night’s .This may well be one of the best decisions we have ever made.
The accommodation is outstanding and the service from all the staff was second to none. We chose to stay in a Paddy view room and loved every minute of it. The room was excellent and the bathroom amazing. The restaurant is fantastic and the staff very helpful and all spoke good English. The gardens are spectacular with orchids growing everywhere. Now to the elephants. I have been involved with animals of all species most of my life and this place is one of the best I have ever seen the elephants are relaxed and there was no sign of any stress or mistreatment of any kind.
To have the chance to wash one of these majestic creatures is a memory I will carry for life, and to swim with them in the lake is an experience not to be missed. The best thing about this place is the chance to get to know these creatures, before the park opens to the public and after it closes in the evening. You basically have the run of the place and I spent many hours just sitting there playing with the young elephants or calmly standing there talking to one of the adults. The mahouts are more than happy to tell you everything you want to know and the love they have for their elephant is obvious.
This is an amazing place and I am already planning my return.

2  Thank Danny9727
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I may be biased as I have wanted to go to this place since I saw a Getaway show on it 4 or 5 years ago! I wish I had made the effort earlier. Top service from accommodation to spa quality to food to how the elephants are treated. Many people visit the park but don't get to do the best activities that start early in the morning like washing the elephants and riding them bare - I mean, holding ears only! Terrifying but the best experience! So make sure you stay at least overnight- but stay at a room facing the park not the garden for maximum experience. Imagine having the elephants just a metre or two away from your balcony and imagine getting picked up by an elephant taxi at your door! And my they are such sweeeeet creatures. 2 nights was the minimum for me. There are other surprises in the park like the well stocked shop, alfresco romantic dinner set-up and the massive amazonian fish in the Park's botanical gardens. 5 star all the way. Taking also into considering it's humane intentions, this place is an ASTOUNDING success. Even more reason to go is that it's around 30 mins drive from/to Ubud, a gorgeous, relaxed place with great food and culture all around! We came across very few 'kuta' tourists!

1  Thank shinbi