“A 'must do' in Bali”

Banyan Tree Bike Tours
Ranked #17 of 158 Outdoor Activities in Ubud
More attraction details
Owner description: Our local experienced guides will explain Bali's amazing culture and countryside as you explore quiet villages and traditional farming communities to expose the true heart of Bali. Upon arrival to our final destination you will be greeted with a delicious Balinese lunch at a traditional Balinese house.Useful Information: Our bike tours are suitable for beginner, advanced and children riders.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
York UK
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A 'must do' in Bali”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Banyan Tree Cycling Tour was very well organised , good quality bikes and equipment , plus a back up van that met up at various locations along the way. The trip took in some great sites and the staff were first class. English was well spoken by all of the team , they really looked after us. The big extra was the Balinese meal at the end of the tour - it was a super meal cooked at the tour owners home. As good as any meal we had out in the whole of our trip to Bali.

Visited April 2013

toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Caring guide, custom experience, relaxing and invigorating insight into Bali”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a wonderful small group ride with Bagi, the owner, who took such good care of us while showing us the beautiful villages and back roads of Bali. He understood our various levels and made a great experience for each, and this bikes were in great shape. When our friend (who lives here and was riding his own bike instead of the tour bikes) had a problem with his, Bagi switched with him and then arranged for one of his guys to come and bring a fresh new bike, which saved the day and made a stress-free ride for all of us to enjoy our first day together in Bali. Also, he kept us updated on where we were, and gave very accurate time estimates "30 min from home" etc. When we ended the ride at his home village we were treated to a very nice Balinese meal in his lovely garden compound. It was a wonderful way to experience the countryside and I would recommend it to everyone as a must-do in Ubud. He also arranges convenient pick ups from around the island.

Daejeon, null, South Korea
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My favorite day in Bali”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

First off, Bagi (Stanley) was so fast at responding to my emails. He answered every question (even my silly ones quickly and professionally. I actually made a big mistake and did not respond to his email requesting confirmation for a few days. The night before the tour, he worked with me to make sure that I could join. I really thought that I blew my chance. Stanley made room for me on this great tour. Some tours require two or more people. This tour did not.

It was clear throughout the day that the entire crew cared for our safety. One guide lost a chain, but he refused to leave us. He pushed himself along until reinforcements came in the support truck. With that said, they were not breathing down our neck trying to make us stay completely together. They let us roam (within reason) and take photos. Another guide could sense that I simply wanted a stretch of solitude riding. He gave me space and made it clear that he was there if I needed him. The only times that they were forceful is when it was important to secure our safety. I actually learned some tactful ways to manage people by watching these guys in action.

They surprised us a few times with extra water, a banana break, and more. The meal at Stanley's house was my best meal in Bali (and recent memory). They also understand the mentality of tourists. They helped us get along with each other without trying to force us to be best friends within a few hours. They made us comfortable and gave us space. When interested, they had interesting cultural insights to share, but they did not force it upon us. I like that.

If I was forced to be critical, I would simply say to manage your expectation on bike quality. You will have many options to choose from. Keep in mind that if you are a bike enthusiast, you probably won't be riding the best bike that you have been on in your life. They may slip gears a few times, etc. But they are beyond good enough for you to safely enjoy a pleasant day in a beautiful country. As long as you know that in advance, you will be happy.

After a long week at an intense professional conference, this was a perfect day for me. Even better, they got be back to Kuta in time enjoy the beach hours before sunset.

I could write more, but let's just summarize by saying that the customer support before, during and after the ride was beyond my expectations.

Ken

Perth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very good trip and wonderful lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Looking at the reviews it became obvious that many of these tours use the same route via Kintamani. This one seemed to follow a different path and I expected it to be quieter. I was not disappointed. There were only 3 of us and we met no other cyclists. We travelled quiet paths and part of the route was actually through the rice paddies. We were told later we followed the intermediate route - thank you for your confidence guys - we are both in our 60s and don't do much cycling.
The lunch at the family compound was one of the best meals we had in Ubud and it was such a delightful setting.
Highly recommended.

1 Thank HilaryW79
Singapore, Singapore
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fantastic Bike Tour and River Rafting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Bike Tour:
Myself and my husband took the bike tour which included pick up from our accommodation at 7.15am. We were driven to breakfast located around 1 hour away, in a restaurant which was situated high on the hillside with spectacular views of the valley below.

In short, bikes were great, helmets provided and our guide was excellent!

The bike ride was mainly downhill, with just enough challenging points to work up a good sweat! We seen many interesting villages, were taken into a compound, cycled through the rice paddies and market place.

An assistant followed closely with back up truck, chilled water and bananas.

Lunch afterwards consisted of a buffet selection, which was in a lovely location and of great quality.

River Rafting:
My husband took part in this activity and again was impressed with the organisation, activity and guide quality.

Overall, we would recommend Banyan Tree Bike Tours to anyone visiting Ubud! Thanks guys!