“Bisma is the Best in Bali”
Review of Komaneka at Bisma

Komaneka at Bisma
Ranked #17 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The Komaneka Bisma is the best hotel I have ever been to and this trip was the best stay of the three times I have stayed there in 2011. I'm all the way on the other side of the world from Indonesia, but I am drawn back to the Bisma and Bali because of it's gracious people and unique culture. Bali is truly the best place I have ever been in my life.

Eager to be back at the Bisma, I actually showed up early and added a day to my stay! The staff is EXCEPTIONAL! Ade, who was wisely moved from the gift shop to registration, started my stay with her warm smile and sweet personality. She was great!!! The staff remembered me from my previous stays, asked about my children, and remembered our Balinese friend, Ketut, who has been with us since we started visiting Bali. They even remembered particulars about my last visit, and some that I had even forgot about! They are truly amazing. My only regret is that I didn't stay there when I first began traveling to Bali. I remember being disappointed I couldn't afford the pool villa, but the suite rooms are spectacular! After staying in one of them I thought how foolish I had been to not stay there my very first trip! Live and learn. Now I will always stay at the Bisma.

Being completely hospitable, they bought me my favorite fruit, always greeted me by my first name (Ibu Ingrid), always had a smile, and basically made sure I had a wonderful stay. They filled my chocolate chip cookie jar every day and never teased me about how I was able to eat the whole jar every day! The room I stay in is perfect and it really does feel like home. I love tuberose and there is a beautiful tuberose plant right outside the front door of the room. It smells so lovely every time I return to my room. I feel completely safe both day and night, in and around the area. Walking to town is wonderful because I've become familiar with the people who work and live on Jalan Bisma. Having the shuttle service is great, especially when you do big shopping trips, but walking to town shouldn't be missed either because you are able to see more of life in Bali. If you are worried about traveling alone, don't worry. I actually have really enjoyed my trips alone, too, because I am able to learn more about the culture and spend more time with the people I meet at the market and in Ubud. It's the best way to learn about the Balinese and their way of life.

I teach swimming and the pool is heavenly....really! It is like you swim off into the jungle. The breakfast is superb and I would regularly have it in my room on the deck. The cake and tea time is a nice treat, and the spa massage is wonderful. Although the massage prices are much higher than the small massage shops down the road, the service, environment, extra touches and royal treatment warrant the cost. It is pure heaven. If you choose to not indulge in their excellent spa services, I would walk the extra distance to Lilly's, which is down the road, closer to town (pink sign on the left). Once again though, nothing can compare to the service and treatment you would receive at the Bisma.

This was the first trip I have visited Bali during December, the start of the rainy season. The mornings were quite good and then the rains would come between 2 and 3 in the afternoon. If it rains really hard it will be a short rain. If it's not so hard it will linger. Just ask the staff. Some will tell you exactly when it will start and stop :)! The rest of the days are usually sunny and humid.

I'm excited to bring my youngest daughter to Komaneka Bisma in March. She will be so happy to meet such lovely people and stay in a place where you truly feel like you are in paradise. Thank you Komaneka for another memorable trip. I always return home rejuvenated. I hope all of you remain safe during the rainy season as you carefully drive home on your motorbikes at night! Stay safe and I will see you in tiga bulan! Thank you again for your kindness :).

Ibu Ingrid

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank sbbali

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We traveled to Bali as a family of 3 in November 2011, and loved our stay at the Komaneka Bisma. Amazing pool villa, great food, and super staff from those who greeted us to those who waited on us to those who cleaned our villa. Truly, we can not say enough good things about this hotel. Grounds are gorgeous, pools beautiful, the walkway along the river is great. We saw so many birds, butterflies, and lizards - my daughter was in heaven! Make sure to ask the staff how to walk through the fields to get to the monkey forest road shops and temple - very easy and close by.

Room Tip: The pool villas are to die for!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mangojenny
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed 6 nights and didn't want to leave! Very quiet with lovely views over the rice paddies but close enough to be able to walk everywhere even though they provide a free shuttle. Apple tv a bonus with lots of movies. Food was good, especially breakfast with a good selection. Loved the infinity pool. Spa was good, more expensive than others in ubud but still good value considering.. Some good places to eat in ubud; sari organik (don't miss it), naughty nuri's, lotus

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Komaneka At Bisma recently. We were greeted with lovely staff at the hotel. The room was very nicely decorated with flower petals adorning our bed. The next morning, we were presented with a lovely coffee mousse cake for our anniversary. Breakfast was not buffet style, to our pleasant surprise; we had lots of different kinds of selection to choose from. The hotel staff were very friendly, making our stay so pleasant and memorable. Indeed, this is our best and most enjoyable holiday ever. Thanks for the wonderful team of staff at this hotel.

1  Thank Prisgoh55
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We booked the standard room at Komaneka, not a suite and it was quite an experience. The rooms themselves are excellent - when we saw the pictures we thought they looked quite "corporate hotel-like" and we were worried that we wouldn't feel like we were on a holiday, but after seeing the room in person we shouldn't have worried so much.

Komaneka Bisma was like a home away from home - all the staff (in reception, in restaurant, at pool, at spa, on the grounds) greeted us by name from the second day. Everyone was very friendly and full of advice.

The room amenities were among the best I've ever seen (and this after staying at Four Seasons in Hawaii etc) - the standard items are available but in addition we got daily mouthwash, mosquito repellant (natural *and* fully chemical in case you wanted to choose) and even daily homemade cookie refills.

The location of the Komaneka Bisma is a little bit away from the main roads of Ubud. Its about a 10 minute walk to the shops and restaurants of Ubud or 5 minute drive. Komaneka offer an hourly shuttle into the centre, we found this was sufficient for getting around. Komeneka have another 2 properties in the heart of Ubud if this is more your style (Monkey Forest & Rasa Sayang).

The Komaneka Bisma grounds are amazing, incorporating your own local rice paddies on site and a great infinity pool (the poolside lounges have mosquito repellent and after sun spray at each one). You can go running along the river, or take a nice walk through the grounds.

All in all, a great experience at a lovely hotel, highly recommended.

Room Tip: If booking a normal room (i.e. not a private suite with a pool) try to get a room on Level 4 - this...
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We spent an amazing 9 nights for our Honeymoon in a One Bedroom Pool Villa. We originally booked for 6 nights, but loved our stay so much we didn't want to leave, so we cancelled our next hotel booking and stayed an extra 3 nights.

We had our first experience of VIP arrival, arranged through the hotel and it was fantastic, so easy. We were collected through the hotel car service and my hubby enjoyed a cold bintang, as we set off for Ubud in airconditioned comfort.

Check-in was quick and easy and we were escorted to our villa on the chapel side. It was all far more beautiful than we remembered (we had a peak at one during our last stay), the view was fantastic and totally uninterrupted. Outside you have a mini kitchen area with fridge and tea making facilities, cutlery, et. al. with a small bench and sink. A daybed, small dining table and 2 chairs and 2 sunloungers on the decking area. The pools are tiled, infinity edge and wonderfully long. I really love the layout inside the villa, it flows really well and the door from the outside deck to inside the bathroom is really handy. Air-conditioning was so cold we had to ask for a blanket! Would love to see a pillow-menu introduced for extra comfort.

As a coeliac on a gluten free diet with a dairy allergy, I was truly indulged with gluten free bread and soy milk at breakfast, special treats for afternoon tea and fantastic choices for dinner. We also enjoyed the Red Light Special dinner in our villa which was amazing, they decorate it so beautifully, it's worth every cent and they made me a special soy milk pannacotta for dessert. We also had a Candlelight dinner in the restaurant which you must do for a real Balinese food experience! It was so yummy! They also made me some special crisps as I couldn't eat the appetizer offered with dinner. I never felt like I was missing out. It's my best gluten and dairy free travel experience to date and I think very hard to beat! The cooks, chefs and restaurant staff are truly amazing, we wanted for nothing and the service was outstanding.

We enjoyed the relaxing ambience and facilities, I highly recommend trying the spa for fantastic massages, they offer soft, medium or hard and my hubby and I both agreed you received what you requested. My favourite was the Herbal Body Scrub and my hubby's was the Energising Massage. The spa rooms are overlooking the river and it's a truly relaxing experience. They even repainted my nails for a small charge after I had a bad manicure outside the hotel.

The shuttle service can be occasionally unreliable, we had one instance where there was a long delay and we waited about 40 minutes due to a ceremony, but overall we had no major problems. I think you need to consider how hard it can be with traffic and ritual ceremonies to keep to the schedule, and remember that it's free.

We did the cycling tour and really enjoyed the perspective of the villiages and houses this gave us. The equipment was all in excellent condition and our guide was very helpful and informative. I liked that it was only for a few hours, it was perfect.

The apple TV has the occasional blip and it seems the box is overheating so we slipped the leather guide underneath the front of it to help cool underneath it and we didn't need to have it reset again (we had it reset twice a few days into our stay). I think if they put the apple tv box on a small open stand to allow airflow, guests will experience less issues. It's minor, my partner was able to continue watching a movie from where he left off after it was fixed and they fix it very quickly.

We were so well cared for and very spoilt by all the wonderful staff. I could share all the little surprises, but you must simply come and experience it for yourself.

Still dreaming about our wonderful honeymoon! Thank you to all the fabulous staff at Bisma who welcomed us back, truly pampered us and made us feel at home. We'll be back again soon.

Room Tip: The pool villas are great for couples, and those with small children.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We/ve been twice this year 7 are going again in Feb.
When we departed on Dec 23, we were given xmas gifts from the management.
Every time you return from a day out, you are welcomed with "welcome back home".
The staff are fantastic, the resort is the right size with only 47 rooms.
Even at full capacity, you still felt like the only ones there.
The property outlay is terrific as it encourages plenty of healthy walking, or you can use the lift.
The attention to detail is a major highlight.
From the twice daily servicing of the room, to the bed being turned down, to the slippers & nightwear being placed on the bed, & the top up of the fruit bowl & biscuits..... it has it all.
Al a carte breakky & complimentary afternoon tea caps off perfection.
There was really no limit as to what we were able to order with regards additional fruit, drinks, extras.
To illustrate the little extras that sre included, We had to check out at 12, but were offered all facilities, & afternoon tea, & tea, coffee etc until our departure at 6.30pm

Staying in Ubud is a must.