“Wow! Just amazing!”
Review of Villa Agung Khalia

Villa Agung Khalia
Ranked #52 of 622 Specialty Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My review is a bit late as we stayed in November, however from the minute we stepped of the flight we were treated like royalty, the staff at Agung Khalia are such humble, beautiful people, nothing is to much trouble and you are treated as if you are part of their family. The first morning I couldn't sleep to went out onto the Balcony to read, was only there 5 minutes and then was asked if I would like coffee or tea, within 10 minutes it was delivered upstairs, this is something you would have to pay for if you stayed in a resort!! We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite as there was only two of us and it was beyond our expectations, the view over the rice paddies was just out of this world and made you feel so relaxed, it is a very special part of the world. The room was cleaned daily and was immaculate, we had our own private pool which was used every day, my husband loved to walk through the rice paddies, and if you have lunch there, make sure you have the Mie Goreng, to die for!!. A big thank you to Agung and all the staff for looking after us, you made our stay so memorable, we will be back in May this year, and also a big thanks to Laura for your quick and informative responses to my emails. Do yourselves a favour, stay at Agung Khalia, you won't regret it, even though it is 10 minutes out of Ubud, they provide you with a mobile phone to call them to be picked up where and when you want.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in October 2011. Before our visit we had excellent communication with Laura who couldn't have been more helpful.

The Villa
We stayed in Villa 1. The villa itself was the first in the line of villas. You enter into the garden from the main pathway through the first gate. We had thought that the pool would be more private than it was, but we were in full view of anyone entering and even had another guest sitting with her feet in the pool when we arrived back one evening. The pool was lovely and the outdoor furniture was very comfortable. The garden was absolutely stunning.
Inside, the villa was large and airy. The beds were comfortable. We didn't use the lounge areas much, but I am sure that they would be fine for a longer stay. We had a lot of ants in the kitchen, but this is to be expected in such a building and they didn't worry us.
Breakfast was tasty and the staff attentive and helpful.
We spent a lot of time relaxing, reading and swimming in the pool as it was so peaceful there. We really enjoyed the silence after the bustle of the town.

The local Area and grounds
Stunning rice fields and gardens - the place is beautiful and beautifully kept. There was always something to look at - large groups of ducks and birds, cattle and people working the fields.

The staff
All of the staff members that we interacted with at Villa were polite, friendly and helpful. The shuttle service was fantastic and we never had to wait to be driven to Ubud or to be collected.

Ubud
We loved Ubud. There is something for everyone. The restaurants were excellent, we visited some great bars and the shopping was fantastic. It was so much cleaner and friendlier than Kuta and we wished we had longer to explore.

Downsides
There were 2 downsides to our trip.

The first was the disappointment that the villa wasn't as private are we had hoped. We are outdoor people, but felt that we never really had any privacy. It was more like being in an hotel than a villa.

Secondly, and this is not the fault of the villa, but I feel I have to mention it. On our drive back to the hotel that we were staying at after our visit to Villa Khalia, our driver (Agung) asked if we would like to visit a local wood carving centre. We said that we would like to. He drove us to a centre which was owned by his friend. Once there, we were taken off by the manager of the centre who followed us around and then 'encouraged' us to buy some wooden carvings. Feeling rude not to, we picked a small cat figure (4" tall). We bartered with him and at the very lowest price we ended up paying £20 for it. We didn't want to appear rude and nothing had prices on. We knew that this was extortionate, but not having any way of just walking out as we would have done had we been in a shop or somewhere that we had travelled to on foot, we ended up paying. The 'manager' then asked us for money for his time. We questioned this and he said that he needed 50000 for his time and this was because he didn't get paid. This isn't a huge amount of money (about £3.50), but it was his insistence that really irked. I hate to be rude to people and I realise that I could have just said 'no', but as Agung had said he was friends with the people etc we didn't really feel that we had any choice.
After that, we asked to be taken straight back to the hotel instead of stopping at an art centre which Agung had originally said he would take us to in case the same thing happened again.
This left a bad feeling with us really. We had enjoyed our stay enormously and wished that we hadn't been to the wood carving place as this was our final memory of the time that we had in Ubud.

To summarise. I would recommend Villa Khalia to anyone wanting to get off the beaten track and relax. It is particularly suited to larger family groups or groups of friends. The setting is stunning and there is a lot to do in the area. Please don't let our experience of the wood carving centre put you off going to one. I am sure that we just interacted with an individual that was trying it on - and who can blame him? :)

Room Tip: Remember that none of the villas are totally private. Our villa overlooked the Honeymoon villa pool...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2011

After returning from two weeks in Bali, we decided that the Balinese may be the nicest people in the world. The staff at Agung Khalia may be the nicest in Bali. You quickly feel like part of the family and are treated as such. This is a very special place. They combine a high standard environment with an authentic Bali experience. We would definitely return to this villa. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which was perfect for us. We hope to return with family and friends so we can try out the large villas. While we did have a couple incidents of miscommunication, they were handled beyond fairly and did not affect our love for this place.

One concern we had about staying there was the distance from the center of Ubud. It turned out to be the biggest plus. The villas are in a serene environment overlooking beautiful rice fields. Whenever we wanted a ride to or from town, we used the cell phones they provided and they were there in less than ten minutes. It was really nice to wake up to the view and surroundings at the villas.

The room and grounds were very clean and comfortable. The staff was always available but never invasive. Staff members took us on tours of the area, visits to their homes and temples, and more extensive guided trips.

Thank you Agung, Dewi, Putu, Nyoman, Nyoman, and everyone else at Villa Agung Khalia!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Adam B
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We took our 3 children to Villa Agung Khalia after stumbling across it while searching for family accommodation. We had stayed in the Ubud are twice before, with and without children. This was by far the best place to take the kids. The staff is a "family" and they welcomed us into their family wholeheartedly. We couldn't have had a better Bali experience in terms of the location and the people, and we were sad to have to leave.

Transport is provided at any time during the day to-and-from Ubud, and the mobile phone we were provided with when we arrived was a fantastic idea, ensuring we could always contact the Villa easily and they were able to pick us up from wherever we were in town.

We especially enjoyed the guided walk through the rice paddies into Pejeng, and met some locals along the way who happily greeted us, especially the kids.

We intend to come back here next time we come to Bali, it is the perfect place to relax without being
ostentatious and over-priced. It has all the facilities of any highly regarded establishment in Bali, but the open-ness of the area around the Villas is the real drawcard. Having your own pool is also a great treat!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Sanj A
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is our favorite place in Bali and we will keep coming back. The staff is great, the morning coffee and rice field views are inspiring, and the owner Agung and front desk manager Guru take care of everything you need. We were in Villa I and every time we returned after a day of touring around Bali it felt like coming home to a luxurious palace. We never felt intruded upon and in fact we loved the interactions with the staff. Agung invited us to an early morning trek through rice fields to his village, telling us about life in Bali. Debi brought us coffee every time we asked, day or night, at no charge. The villa is huge, twice as big as my own house, yet the décor is tastefully done in a minimalist style. I agree with a prior review that the lighting could be stronger, but it was never a real problem for us. The villa is very clean, I slept like a baby, and I find the place incredibly good value for what you get.

Room Tip: plan 3 weeks :)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank KailuaJoe
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Villa Agung Khalia has surpassed my expectations! There are so many positive things to say about my experience it seems challenging to express in words but, I will begin with the staff. They are everything you could want...welcoming, generous, respectful, and accommodating in every way. They make their presence subtly known, to allow guest privacy, while offering full assistance whenever needed. They have an unobtrusive, but sincere, manner for which they go about their work and it sets the tone for a beautiful place to stay. I was beyond impressed by the level of cleanliness, comfort, and security found here.

The staff of friendly faces alongside breakfast, overlooking the rice patties, made for gorgeous mornings! The view from our balcony was picturesque and our private crystal clear pool enticed us for many a midday and evening swims! The staff was greatly helpful in coordinating trekking adventures, transportation, and divulging the "must see" island spots. But, on most days we found ourselves missing the Villa because we were equipped with everything we could have possibly needed or wanted.

I loved the spacious nature of the rooms, the functionality of the kitchen, and the relaxing outdoor area. Great western style bathrooms featured hot showers (which i was definitely a fan of), beds that made me sleep better than I had in years, and great wi-fi connection! They offer impressive massages (minutes away from your front door) and an array of delicious food, Indonesian and Western, at the on site restaurant. The exterior landscape of this place is absolutely stunning and almost immediately after we were welcomed in it felt like an "enhanced home away from home"!

This was absolutely what I would consider the "ideal" location. The villa is situated beautifully amidst serene rice fields and I loved that it enabled me the experience of living in a "traditional Balinese village". Furthermore, it allowed easy access to the culturally artistic mood in town where transportation to and from, is no more than 10 minutes, and never an issue. I was especially keen on having the balcony space to practice yoga (or meditation) with the option to do a morning jog, or bike ride, through the surrounding village. I suppose this is why I find it an "ideal" place to stay... because it assists guests in making their stay exactly what they want it to be.

The vibe at the villa is warm and welcoming, on every level, as were the other guests we met. I was so impressed with my experience that I have returned, and am writing this review poolside, relishing in a double dose of Villa Agung Khalia goodness! Many thanks goes out to this incredible staff and place. It is highly recommendable for travelers seeking a true Balinese treasure.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gina B
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This place is a miniature palace with amazingly beautiful manicured gardens and landscaping which is in the middle of the most picturesque rice fields. I thought the rooms were well furnished with lovely finishing touches like the fresh flower arrangements. The staff are absolutely fantastic, you'll feel like royalty staying here they take such good care of you. So friendly and caring. We stayed here with several families for 2 nights we all had plently of space, wish we had stayed much longer. I felt so safe and relaxed here, no where else in bali did I feel I could just let go like here.

There are plently of great trips to do in the Ubud area like the monkey forest and the Bali Elephant Safari in Taro. They provide transfers to and from the shops in Ubud and even gave us a mobile phone so we could call when ready to be picked up. The kids loved the pool and the blow up pool toys they provided. Agung, Guru, Nyoman, Komang, Dewie, Ayu and all of the staff Thankyou! I really hope to come back!

Room Tip: Get yourself to Ubud and then call Agung Khalia to pick you up or have the driver call them for dire...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family