Jati Home Stay
  • Pool
  • Free Internet
Cinta Inn(Ubud)
View Hotel
All reviewsricehanoman streetfamily compoundnice balconyrooms are cleanwifi connectionbalcony overlookingcomfortable staycentral locationevery morningubud markethome away from homemonkey foreststayed here for nightsdewabamboohomestay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I originally booked with Dewa, the owner of Jati Homestay in August when I was preparing my tow month itinerary in Bali. Doing a yoga teacher training I knew I wanted to stay in one place for the entire month and not having to worry about finding accommodation. It was the best decision to do so and I ended staying here the entire time I was basically on the island of Bali.

The team at Jati - Ayu, Dewa, and Putu - were more than helpful in every way. Because I was staying for so long I was frequently using their fridge to make my own food. Also, because of my rigid schedule for the training I often missed breakfast. They were so kind to make my breakfast when I came back later in the day - can't get enough of the Balinese fruits and snacks!

The room was clean, spacious (two beds - one double and one single), and had a full bathroom/tub. Laundry hangers were provided for cleaning and the small balcony right outside the room was great to just hang and lounge when tired. The view of the rice paddies is serene so despite the busy busy hectic roads of Hanoman St, you can really get away from the noise in just a short walk.

I highly recommend this place to anyone - long-term or not - coming to Ubud. Great location, great people, and great times all around.

Shizu

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank shizz154943
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The location of Jati Home Stay is like a puzzle, but its makes us so curious and heart-beating. But its so worth it, we arrived at night about 07.30 pm and stayed 2D/1N (we hope we could stay longer, but we already booked a hotel at Sanur). And this place so quiet and cozy. I felt like home in there. The receptionist staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms didn't have an Air Conditioner (AC), but its not necessary because the weather was cold in Ubud. I had a very good quality sleep, accompanied with cricket voices. Its just so peaceful. In the morning, when we had breakfast, we were talking to the owner, Mas Dewa. He is so friendly. We talked about many things, especially the homestay. I convinced myself if I go back to Ubud, I will stay at here longer. Love it!

Room Tip: Choose the room at the second floor, so you couldn't bother with people that passed by in front of you.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading many reviews about the friendly and helpful owner. I read that the accommodations were "basic" but my husband and I are quite easy-going so I thought it would be just fine for us. It was more important to me to have a good location with helpful staff.

When we arrived the owner (I assumed he was the owner anyway) seemed almost mildly annoyed by our presence, like he just didn't want to be there. It was fairly early in the morning so I just chalked it up to him being tired and didn't really mind. He asked for our passports and as he was writing down our information he abruptly stopped and demanded, "how long are you staying?" Just the one day. "Why would you come to Ubud for just the one day?" We explained that we are living in East Java for a few months due to my husband's work but he only gets the weekends off so unfortunately we have to make due with a short, weekend trip. "I don't think you can see all of Bali in one day. You should stay for two days." (Previous to this in his conformation email he had us down for two days, which I corrected) Then he kept pressuring us to answer what we were planning to do the next day. I vaguely said we were just going to explore Ubud and maybe visit some of the nearby temples and he actually scoffed and pressed for more information "what temples? what exploring?" I felt like he was trying to get us to book tours with him or something but he finally stopped asking questions when we said we already had a tour booked. We finished feeling a bit interrogated.

He showed us to the room which was like everyone said, basic. There was no a/c (which I knew before booking so I don't fault them for it) and no hot water (I'm not sure if they said they had it or not but the water ran for some time and never got warm). The sheets looked very old and there was only one lamp in the room so the lighting was very poor. At this point we thought, "oh well, it's only one night and it's in a good location". Also, to be fair, the location is very nice. You walk through a little pathway off of Hanoman St. and through some traditional houses to some nice rooms overlooking a small rice field. It was very quiet and soothing, away from the noise of the main streets. However, there were tons of dead ants in the bathroom. This is where my husband and I were dumb and we still just thought "oh well, it's still ok, we can make due" and we just headed out for the day without really looking over the room. When we came back around 4:00 to shower before dinner I looked at the pillows on the bed and noticed a huge amount of sand/dirt all over the pillows (I posted a picture also). This is when we decided to check out. They obviously do not clean or even take a look at the rooms before they assign them to a guest otherwise they would have noticed how glaringly filthy it was.

We told the first person we saw that we wanted to check out and she called the owner. After 15 minutes of waiting he still hadn't shown up and finally the phone rang and he asked to talk to us. We politely explained the situation, he still wanted us to pay the entire fee. We agreed upon paying half since it was our mistake to not check the room right away. We walked only about a block down Hanoman st. to Dana Sari, which was the first place to still have rooms available. It was also back from the street so it was quiet and it overlooked a rice field. We got a second floor room and it was breezy with a nice view. The room was clean with new linens and a hot shower all for the same price as Jati.

Jati had potential to be a cozy place to stay but in our experience it was very bad. Hopefully this review helps you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emily P
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Jati Homestay was recommended to us from a friend and we are happy to recommend it to anyone who wants to have a very good time in Ubud in an authentic balinese-bamboo-style ambiente with friendly and very helpful staff. The included breakfast is a different balinese speciality every day and very good. You can sit on the terrace and look over the rice paddie. There's no traffic or any other noise the whole day (apart from frogs, geckos). Rent a motorbike and find your way to all the sights in the Ubud area, the managers can tell you what's good! Also, there are very chatty and good drivers from Jati to bring you to any place on Bali - just organise with Dewa.

The are some minor things to complain about: the bathroom in our first room (downstairs) was full of dead ants and there were no towels or toilet paper. After changing to an upstairs room there were no towels and toilet paper again, but the room was clean. All in all nice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Down a side street in the middle of Ubud is this fabulous home-stay. Such a helpful owner and a lovely simple room with a balcony. Bamboo walls mean you can hear your neighbours but that isn't much of an issue. Such a fabulous location! Such a fabulous place!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple