“Michi is a unique treasure” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Michi Retreat

Michi Retreat
Ranked #172 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Michi is a unique treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

My fiancee and i spent a four day romatic holiday getaway and loved the resort and our room. we enjoyed our whole experience from the checkin all the way thru to the check out. the food was delicious, service was a bit shy but so friendly and eager to please. there was an amazing burial festival and the town of UBUD is so charming.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank donchef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

I booked the Michealangelo room and found it too secluded for my liking as I was staying alone. In the day it was nice with the river running below but at night, it seems too dark and I was the only person staying around that vicinity. The room has a quirky design though.

I changed to the Hitaro room which is nearer to the restaurant and less quiet. It has a beautiful view of the rice terrace and this really recharge me a lot as I spend a lot of time just observing the rice terrace. It was soothing.

The Hitaro room is fairly large, but it should have been cleaner. The bed and toilet was not that clean. The balcony door is really in need of repair as it can break anytime i push it open. There is no tv or telephone in the room but it's ok if you really want to relax. The Wifi is quite good in the Hitaro room.

I consume food in the hotel as it's far to go out to Ubud town. Food is average. The restaurant staff is pleasant. There are two free shuttle to Ubud town in case you need to get out of the place.

You can spend your time walking around the place and explore the other rooms. No two rooms are alike. It should be fun if you go with a group and stay here. But generally, the housekeeping standards can be much better.

The pool is just average and I don't feel like it's clean enough.

At the end of the trip, I was issued a handwritten invoice. I don't really feel good about that.

This place is good if you want to spend your time away from the hustle and bustle of city life but you have to forgive some of its shortcomings.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank jaysg
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

We were shown to our $60 room (certainly at the lower end of their range) to find that it didn't have a balcony - or indeed a window - despite being promised such things by the description of that particular room on their website.

We kicked up a fuss and were upgraded to one of their high end rooms; it would have been on the order of $150 per night judging from their website. It wasn't nearly as nice as the $25 room we had at Ubud Bungalow the night before.

The place was completely empty. It quickly became apparent why.

The upgraded room was OK. Nothing particularly special, lots of strange (barely functional) touches and a severe dearth of anything remotely comfortable to sit on.

The location isn't much good - you probably need to rent a scooter to be able to do anything convenient/interesting/fun. It's a rather long walk along a main road into Ubud town.

The pool area is hilarious - keep your eyes on the uneven ground or you will probably break an ankle.

Only saving grace was the views over the rice field - that was quite nice. But obviously you need one of their vastly overpriced rooms with views for that.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

I went to Bali alone for a much needed rest in August 2010 and was thrilled to be able to find somewhere with a room for me at short notice during peak period. First of all I have to say the room was REALLY cheap. The surroundings were charming and quirky and I loved the sound of the river tumbling over the rocks below my room, and the rice terraces etc. I didn't mind the fact that things looked in need of repair in places. The kapok mattress in my room wasn't terribly comfortable- but what do you expect for $35 a night! The real disappointment was the food in the restaurant, however. I became exasperated with being presented with the same menu at each sitting- only to be told most things on it weren't available time after time. The limited menu didn;t change while I was there actually. The staff were smiling and pleasant but couldn't seem to recall from one day to the next to eg bring milk with the coffee, honey with the pancakes etc. They also kept bringing the main course while I will still eating the soup and didn't seem to have any idea why I didn't want that. Bringing the main course back later - re-heated just made things worse. The quality of the food varied from ok to revolting. I learned that the smart thing was to eat elsewhere and the staff were happy to take me into Ubud whenever I wanted during the day- although the service ceases at about 6pm, so I had to get a taxi back. I found the staff very pleasant generally- but the yoga and other classes and activities mentioned on the website were no where in evidence while I was there. I couldn't get any tourist information from the hotel either; in fact, the staff seemed to have no idea I was coming, nor to have any idea how much deposit I had paid- or what I had paid for a car transfer from the airport. etc etc which made be suspicious about a looming dispute over the bill- which thankfully did not eventuate. The one massage I had left me sore for days - and I found it very awkward to be lying there topless while they brought a male guest to be given a massage on the bed about 30cm away from mine. It was even more awkward when I had to get up to leave and try and cover myself up. I do think they should have used another room (there were others available) - or asked me did I mind them bringing this guy in. I suspect he was as uncomfortable as I was! They were doing some upgrade work in the 'spa'- so maybe that was the reason, but it was by far the most expensive massage I had in Bali, and the most uncomfortable experience. Professor Kung was a charming, interesting and delightful host and seemed frankly embarrassed with the deficiencies in his staff. I noticed he tried to spend time with all his guests (including me) which was a treat- as he is a very interesting man. The evening I dined with him the food was about 300% better than at other times, so it was clear the kitchen staff can do better if they try!. The pool was nice and clean, but it took me a couple of days to find the pads for the loungers and the pool towels. I was offered a drink by the pool once- which was a nice surprise, but the rest of the time there was just no-one around to give me anything and with no pool bar, I had to bring a bottle of water from my room to the pool with me. I would happily have paid for morning/ afternoon tea, but it just wasn't available any time I asked.
When I arrived having missed lunch I was just told there was nothing available but oily (prawn) crackers. I can't decide if I would ever go back. On balance I probably would not- mainly because of the restraurant and the fact the resort is some distance from Ubud which means you can't really walk there and back for a (decent) meal. I have to say Michi was the only place in Bali where I had a bad meal- so the staff were really doing something wrong there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

Michi Resort is the creation of a charming character named Professor Kung and if you're lucky, he will be there to give you a tour. It's a maze of delightful rooms on multiple levels, all decorated with mozaic tiles, bits of glass, curvy beds of cement inset with marbles...Nice setting if you would like to be slightly out of town in Nyuh Kuning. We just stayed for 2 nights as we wanted to experience a variety of hotels. Kids would love it but there are a lot of steep drops here so you'd have to mind them well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thebudgiesmuggler
Madrid
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

I cannot add much more than what others have already said. Strangely I agree with all the good and not so good reviews. But the important thing I have been meaning to write here all this time is how very happy we felt there. Sure, we were honeymooning, but every person we met did MORE than a lot to make us feel like royalty. We know great service is to be expected here, but it was beyond exceptional from our points of view. I could tell you about all the little and big things they did for us while we were there, but I would hate to ruin the surprise. Professor, we thank you for your unique hotel and the fabulous memories. You would be amazed at how often we smile and laugh about our wonderful times spent with you all there. No return trip of ours to Ubud would ever be complete without a stay at Michi Retreat.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clubritz
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

As lovers of mosaics and peaceful locations we were attracted to Michi on asiarooms.com and booked several nights in advance. We were allocated the Michelangelo Room for rp300,000 per night. On arrival at Michi the friendly staff immediately informed us that they had a problem with Asiarooms and that the Michelangelo Room was 'too small' for two people. They insisted on 'upgrading' us to the Coffee Room but that the price would be rp575,000 including tax - or nearly double! We had been staying at Losmen elsewhere in Bali and were used to smallish rooms but on asking several times to view the Michelangelo Room we were told 'not possible' as it is too small. Only after deciding to look elsewhere in Ubud were we offered a discount to a more affordable rate, although at 450,000 still much more than we expected. Interestingly another guest shared a similar story with us and I've seen others on this forum. Perhaps this is a problem with Asiarooms but it really should be sorted before guests arrive.

On the positive side the motel is quite beautiful and located over a gorgeous view of river and paddy fields. The owner 'The Professor' is a very lovely and wise sage-like man who is always willing to stop for a conversation in his roams of the premises. The distance from Ubud suited us perfectly as it was well away from the partying and shopping frenzy. We loved the creativity of the buildings and surrounds and how it reflects the life of its owner, and the pool was very clean and inviting.

The food was excellent but, being on a travellers budget, we found it quite expensive and the serves small. Luckily we found a very very pleasant Warung not far from Michi towards Ubud run by a lovely couple with a talent for good cooking at Warung prices. If you take this option say hi to Royan and Kadek at D'Warung.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple