“Little piece of heaven”

and 1 more site!
Michi Retreat
Ranked #185 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed July 15, 2010

The first time I stayed at the Michi Retreat I was really looking for a peaceful place to relax as I needed to disconnect from the business of day to day. And I couldn't feel happier when I saw the beautiful landscape, the friendliness of the staff and owner and the exquisite architecture and decoration of the various rooms and villas available, each with its unique and artistic style. So I decided to go a second time and this time with my partner as I really wanted him to enjoy the same wonderful experience. At the Michi Retreat you can have a good massage overlooking the river, private yoga sessions and great food in the restaurant. And all this in just 10 min. distance from Ubud centre!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oyster_w0rld

Reviewed June 17, 2010

I stayed at Michi for 2 nights booking from Asiaroom with the rate of 150$ for 5 persons 2 nights. When I reach there staff are really nice and there're only me and my family staying here. When I checked in , Manager (her name is Shivali), explained to me that the price wasn't 150$ as shown booking form because Asiaroom gave me wrong price so she offer me discount 50% for second night. She wrote in a piece of paper said that she discount for me to 300,000 IDR per person for 2 nights (total will be 1,500,000 IDR)so I accepted this offer and signed.On the second day of my stay, I made payment and found on invoice that the amount shown 3,000,000 IDR I was shock how come its double price as she written on paper is 300,000 IDR /person so total should be 1,500,000 IDR. She look at the paper and said ohh....its her false that she has written wrongly and said sorry to me but I was quite shock because this is a big different. This is not my false so I was asking her to give me discount, finally she gave me discount to 2,500,000 IDR. (means I have to pay extra 1,000,000 IDR.

By Right, manager of michi should inform me before my arrival that the price that Asiaroom gave me is incorrect but she pretend not to say.

I feel really disappointed in this resort and would recommend people better find other place to stay in UBUD centre area because there's alot of them. Also Michi is too far about 7 kms from Ubud centre, without their car pick up you wouldn't have a chance to go to ubud centre. Hotel itself are quite nie and beautiful except staff are suck!! I wouldn't recommend to stay, this is the most terrible accommodation that I've ever seen.!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank missmayamania
dkung, Guest Relations Manager at Michi Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2010

We apologize that you feel you were cheated. You seemed to be seeking backpacking accommodation near all the action in Ubud and received misleading information on rates and location from one of our online reservation affiliates. This was not your fault and hence we did give you a big discount as well as a detailed explanation and thoughtful apology. We did all we could to ensure you a pleasant stay.

We feel sad that you chose to write a review that is untrue. The staff at Michi are all wonderful and seek to serve all our guests with honesty and kindness.
We also feel confident that the other reviews on this site will balance your harsh comments and people will discover for themselves the beauty of Michi Retreat and the staff.

We have since ended our contract with the online reservation company that you used and will continue to do all we can to ensure Michi offers wonderful rates and service to people.
We hope you have more enjoyable experiences in Bali in the future.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

Michi Retreat was a very interesting place. It's laid out horizontally. There's a river a couple dozen meters down and some beautiful rice paddies on the hill across. We stayed in the Niagara suite. It had a nice little pool for cooling off. There's three rooms with double/queen beds (two with AC and refrigerators).

There is a bathroom upstairs and down. The downstairs one is open-air and next to the pool, which was fine for us, but just letting you know. Wifi is available in the lobby and rooms, but is spotty. There's also a computer in the lobby if you need it.

There's a man called the Professor who is very friendly and interested in his guests. He gave us a nice welcome upon checking in.

I'm not sure of the prices, but I'd assume this isn't for budget travelers. The only downside to this place is that it's not directly in Ubud, maybe 10-15 minutes away by taxi. But they provide you with a driver for free to get in and out of town.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank paulieweb
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Had to admit that we got a good value when we stayed there from a friend. Was an excellent stay for our honeymoon.. despite the secluded location, the staff are more then happy to take us anywhere around Ubud. The room was awesome as they upgraded our room for free (this is upon availability), but all the rooms at Michi are unique. I must say you have to be careful if you are bringing children here as there are many stairs and dangerous spots. But overall you wont regret staying here, feels like finding a secret treasure.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chaviola
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Michi Retreat was to be our first port of call on our first trip to Indonesia and first overseas trip for our two children aged 10 and 8. I booked Michi based on its website and reviews, some good and some which were average. As with any place booked without personal recommendation I was extremely nervous. My nerves proved to be completely ungrounded. From the moment we were picked up at the airport by Kadek and Doni, our two delightful drivers we were given nothing less than faultless hospitality and generosity. The staff at Michi bent over backwards to make sure that we were happy and comfortable. They loved our two children, learned their names quickly and interacted with them in a warm and friendly way without being obtrusive.
Michi as a place to stay is nothing short of magical. Set in picturesque rice paddies it is a stage for a multitude of amazing artworks commissioned by local and overseas artists. Each room is themed; ours the Wos room in Balinesque style. A tour of Michi to see the different rooms is an absolute must to appreciate the ten years devoted to its creation and establishment by Professor David Kung. This delightful 80 year old man is ever present to greet and chat to his guests sharing his stories and having an open ear to yours. He has special ear for kids too!
This hotel really is an incredible place to see. We swam in the crystal clear pool every day of the four days we were there and made good use of the dance studio and yoga room. Spas, massages, beauty treatments and yoga classes are available at extra cost. My daughter reveled in being dressed as a Bailnese dancer and taught a few 'moves' for a mere $4!
The food at Michi is good but quite expensive. The staff have no problem in shuttling you back and forth to Ubud central and few kms away to eat in the warungs there and experience all that beautiful Ubud has to offer. They also helped us organise transport to various cultural locations.
Michi is without doubt a very special place to visit and we would have no hesitation going back there. Be aware that the weather is hot and that not all the rooms have air conditioning. Ours didn't but it did have effective ceiling fans. Yeah hot but that is to be expected. Our room was pristine clean and we were provided with fresh linen and towels daily.
Now, having stayed in several Indonesian hotels, we can fully appreciate the magic of Michi. It is a magic that is not to be missed if you travel to Ubud!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MJLAustralia
Reviewed March 15, 2010

We came to Michi and had a very relaxing time there. The staff was very friendly, the food quite good and not to speak of the individual furnished rooms: amazing. If you go there stay at the Japanese Room, GREAT!! We loved staying there for almost a week... Manuela & Carsten

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeaShepherd
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We stayed at the Nagare 3 bedrooms villa with private pool n jacuzzi. Very down to earth n one has to compromise that this is NOT the usual hotel stat n thus facilities n room amenities are not full. No toothbrush, no extensive bathroom amenities, no buffet breakfast but simple set breakfast. Lots of stairs n long walk to our villa thus a little inconvenient for senior n kids.

The good things us that the rooms are very nicely decorated n the environment is not that u'll find in any other hotels. It's like u've entered into a magical land in the movie. Fantasy brought to life. Staffs are friendly n services was good. A few lights n doors doesn't work perfectly n there's no tv, but it's alright, cos there are some things that u can live without as u have wonderful views of the river, paddyfields n forest all around u.

Frankly, the best thing bout this hotel to me is the natural environments n vegetations. This u can't get in most hotels down there. Waking up to the sound of the rivers n birds, sunrise over the paddyfields n mountains backdrop. It's magical.

Let's get to the rooms. We had Nagare with 3 bedrooms. 2 bathroom but the one on the ground floor is open concept. No doors at all n next to pool. 2 bedrooms with Airconditioned mosaic decor, and 1 wooden Japanese room with only ceiling fan. Rooms not hot but not cooling but when night falls, it's a little cooler. Prob bout 25degree?

Overall an enjoyable stay for me as I'm a nature oriented person. But if u dislikes friends from the forest, butterflies, snails, geckos, lizards etc, I'll advise u to reconsider this place.

1  Thank suitejoe