“Sania is spelled Hospatility”

Sania's House Bungalows
Ranked #126 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Ormstown, Canada
“Sania is spelled Hospatility”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

Expecting another little family run simple set of rooms, we entered instead the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Humbly referred to as Sania’s House, it is off the main drag and is serenely quiet. It’s entrance gateway is magnificant and upon entering, you feel as if you have stepped back in time to the secret city of some exotic ruler. Each unit is on a different level affording some privacy to each and each is a unique piece of traditional Balinese /Hindu architecture. With a large covered portico and intricately carved wood doors, a thermos of tea was waiting on our marble topped mahogony table. As I sit on my carved wood setee, I attempt to do it justice. I hear roosters, and running water, and watch the verdant folliage around my porch swaying in the light breeze. I smell the tropical flowers in dish gardens on my deck and I sip the tea in a thermos replaced each morning. The staff is helpful and lovely and the $30.00 room includes breakfast served on our private balcony overlooking a swimming pool. The hotel also arranged a 1 day biking tour with an Eco Tour C. which turned out to be one of the most amazing days in 5 trips to Asai. Can life get any better than this?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hoppiewanderer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

Right in the centre of Ubud though on one of the very few quiet streets in town, just between the soccerfield and the market, Sonia's House is a very nice homestay with beautifully arranged and decorated rooms spread along the relatively large compound (which even has a small swimming pool to cool down after a hot afternoon).
It gives a very nice and cosy feeling, living amidst other families who continue their daily activities. Service and staff is okay (even with free tea brought to your veranda) and free wireless internet available (even in our room). We stayed in a luxourious room (spacious with two double beds and a airco without enough power to blow cool air in our room) and paid 400.000 IDR (almost 35 Euro) incl. a nice breakfast served at our veranda, which nevertheless I guess is overpriced compared to other homestays in Ubud.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

Stayed in Sania's House during my week working at Bali Adoption Rehabilitation Centre / B.A.R.C. (= straydogshelter). I had the ground room with airco for 300.000 per night (incl breakfast on my veranda). A real family-rum hotel, complete with a dog and a sweet puppy. There were also a few lovely cats and kittens in the garden. I feeded them daily as they were totally neclected by the family......so sad. Still recomment this homestay in the center of Ubud, but please look after the cute cats!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Astrid1058
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

This hotel is in the centre of Ubud. It's a great location close to the central market. Ideal if you like explore a town on foot. The pool was essential for survival in April.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beau013
auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

I read several great reviews for Sania House and was sadly dissapointed. I stayed at '7 places during my time in Bali and the rest were great -clean, friendly, etc. Can not say the same about Sania House. I assume the family and newer rooms are much better based on the reviews I read prior to booking, but this was not my experience at all!

The room I had on the first night was damp and not very clean - actually wet - after 5 minutes in bed (despite laying on a sarong) everything was damp - I told Sania really politely that my bed was wet and she couldn't care less, told me there were no other beds, refused to offer me a discount and I had to ask for extra towels to sleep on which were given grudgingly. Sleeping in a wet bed is not a pleasant experience. With the exception of 2 young boys, the rest of the staff at Sania house were the least friendly I met on my entire month of travels in Bali. The toilet was broken and filthy to look at, worse still to flush it because the top was broken off you had to put your hand in the cistern part with all the filthy water and push the button. The second night I was moved into another room, less damp. I checked out after that and spent my remaining 6 nights at the Gayatri Bungalows 2 - that was soo lovely, very clean, big pool and very friendly staff. A complete opposite of Sania House which was the worst place I've ever stayed in my reasonably extensive travels!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank kiwi_travels_10
amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed he're for 6 nights. The compound looks very nice. We had a nice and very clean room with a huge balconie overlooking the swimmingpool.

I think we payed a littlebit to much for the room. We only had a fan and no airconditioning.
Curtains in the room are white so at 6 in the morning I was always wide awake.
Bathroom is ok. We had a bathtub.

Breakfast was very good and served on your own balcony. Especially the bananapancakes were delicious! Also you get a nice fruitsalad. They serve free tea during the day.

They do try to sell you trips, but they are not pushy at all. So for us that was not a problem at all.

Location is very good. Nearby the Pasar and lots of restaurants. We loved eating at Budy's Warung that's nearby and much cheaper than the restaurant in Monkey Forrest Road.

The swimmingpool is small but very nice cool water.

They have wi-fi, but receiption is not perfect. Constantly I saw people walking by with there laptop to find good receiption. But it was good enough to get to my e-mail.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank monnike
Helsinki
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2010

I was really impressed with the compound when I arrived, the family shrine and pool are very nice, and location is central. Room was very clean and views from balcony great. However, the roosters and dogs in the surrounding dwellings start to crow very early and the top rooms are quite warm with only a fan. Considering you can get a decent room for 100 000 rupiahs in Ubud, the 300 000 I paid was a bit steep.
Also, the noise problems plague many places, if it is not scooters, then dogs and roosters, in Ubud many small roads may have a surprising amount of traffic. I am happy with the place I found now, it is close to Monkey forest road but very quiet.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo