“good location, charming garden bungalows”

and 1 more site!
Sania's House Bungalows
Ranked #158 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I have been visiting Sania's since about 1996 and always enjoy coming back. It is a quiet oasis very close to the main market and an easy walk to some pretty rice paddy walks.

Sania's has grown a lot and has shifted from a bare bones backpacker sort of place to a more upscale family place, and the prices reflect that. The old bungalows have been torn down by now and replaced with fancier units with Balinese carvings, large patio areas, aircon, etc.

My advice is to only stay there if you get one of the rooms next to the pool - there are some in the back that are dark, mouldy-smelling and not as pretty (blue toilets, sinks and tubs?!).

If anyone from Sania's is reading this, please, please change the breakfasts!! They are the same since 1996: terrible white toast, standard pineapple/papaya fruit salad, a greasy omelette and so-so tea/coffee. And palm oil spread instead of butter! Surely if they are charging $35/night they can afford to buy some decent bread and serve a more sophisticated breakfast. We got so sick of it that we asked for fried rice (they won't serve local food) and just ended up eating out every morning.

Anyway, still a charming guest house but among an ever-growing number of charmin guest houses in Ubud.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Explorasi

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Sania's House makes for a really comfortable budget spot in Ubud. My companions and I have spent about 150-250 Rupiah/night for two people across different locations in Bali, and Sania's offers one of the best deals in that price range. Rooms are tidy, the property is gorgeous (and the pool hits the spot), free coffee and breakfasts are lovely!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Megan S
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed here about a year ago and had a good time so I headed straight back here once in ubud. This time however the room I received was very mouldy smelling, including the towels. Overall.. The pool has too much chlorine in it, the power in my section of the premises was on and off each night for 3 nights, workmen were bashing away on more buildings in the complex from 7am. I checked out when I awoke to find my room full of smoke from burning god knows what 20 metres away. I opened the door and couldn't see anything, it was that bad.. To top it off the staff were indifferent and the place constantly had weird smells. I've traveled over Asia for almost a year so I am in touch with 'the norm'. I moved to a v clean and nice hotel in a parallel street (east) with a pool and wifi in the rooms for half the price. Enough said.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank VanDieman
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Very shocked to see the price of this place has tripled in 4 years.For 12 a night it was ok but for 35 dollars a night???????? I think you can do better.
My wife called this place Sanias Roost because of the non stop roosters crowing.
bring ear plugs.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seamillfarmcom
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Ubud sure is a nice place to stay for a little while. Sania´s place was both good and bad.

Sure the staff is nice and very patient. They take your wishes seriously and they fulfilled my laundry service in an outstanding manner.
Meals were ok, I had breakfast included but after the third time I really did not enjoy the taste of it anymore. But each to their own.
Rooms were spacious in comparison to other hostels, but so were the prices, too. Clean rooms, nearly no Geckos roaming the walls.

What I totally disliked was the fact that I had to pay 250.000 Rupiah per night (full price) although the place was under construction. Scarfoldings and bricks plus the sound of hammers and hammer swingers etc. I tried to get a cheaper price, but the Sania´s wife was very hard to bargain with, 225.000 was the last price. But sure this place is nice with its tiny swimming pool and its flora.

Before I went there I intended to stay seven nights, I left after three. WLAN and the family dogs were additional reasons. WLAN did not work well in my room, I only had signal at the reception. When returning from the various places in Ubud at night, roaming and barking dogs in the streets are obligatory, but when trying to enter Sania´s place, the three family dogs attempted to attack me aswell. So if you dont feel fine with the paradox feeling of those creatures threatening you at night and petting them at light day, you should find another Homestay in the first place. The fact that this place is mentioned in the latest LP might have brought a change to the behaviour of its owner. Farting and other human sounds were the only things I could recall as Sania´s part of conversaton. But sure this is not a thing that would put off other tourists that much.

Around this homestay are various other hostels etc. with similar (or in my experience even better) offers to more reasonable prices.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Harry H
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Stayed for one night and noticed bedbugs Cimex lectularius in the matress. we went to reception asking for a new room with clean bed. Staff was not polite and made us stay in a more expensive room if we wanted to change. These bedbugs are really hard to get rid off if you take them back home. BE AWARE. When ext morning we checked out nobody said sorry or anything just made us pay a lot of money for a terrible night.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anna N
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I stayed at Ubud house 5 Mins from Ubud central. Amazingly quiet with 2 bedrooms and loft, self contained,amazing pool and gardens.Wayan will come daily and cook breafast and attend to your needs. Great value at $25. Good to have a motorbike for quick runs into town for supplies.

Room Tip: Is a 2 bedroom house