“Beautiful ubud”

Puri Garden Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #163 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Really friendly, helpful staff, beautiful rooms, beautiful pool. The shower plumbing needs fixing as the water would go hot, cold, hot, cold but otherwise a very lovely place to stay. Close to the petrol station, close to the monkey forest and plenty of close shops to see, the farthest walk we went on was about 20 mins.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank reddellc

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Lovely place, delicious foods!!!! good service, great staff, nice view, quite enough, we stayed for three days and We both love it. Thank you Mr Cokorda Oka (owner) for the best price! We will come back with another guest for you :)

Room Tip: Upstair rooms are mostly better. Nice view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The location is good. You can walk 5 minutes to large supermarket. Many dinning places locate around the area. It is very close to Monkey Forrest. The hotel is decorated in Balanese style. Impressive. I found that there was a construction site next to the swimming pool but it was not annoying or . The swimming pool is clean. However, it is a bit too dark during the night. So, I suggest the hotel should add more lights at the swimming pool.

Regarding the room. My room is in 2nd floor. I can see rice field and sun rise from my room. The room is quite clean and new. I guess that it must be renovated recently. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Check-in process is pretty slow although there was no guest at the time I checked in. I need to wait at the reception area for 10 minutes!!!

Breakfast is just OK. Nothing is outstanding.

Lastly, I would say I will stay in Puri Garden hotel again and recommend others to stay as well.

Room Tip: Pool view is not a good decision. :)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Panachai B
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is like the tenth time I stayed in this hotel. As Ubud frequent visitor I always stay in Puri Garden. The hospitality is exceptional. Staff are helpful anf friendly, the location is perfect. Not too close to the main shopping area so it is quiet but not too far either so I can walk to the shopping arcade. Good value for the money. I assure you will have a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I saw other negative reviews. I want to say that I had no stained bedding and that the pool was no longer dirty. My door did not lock with a padlock (but, I might add many traditional doors lock with a padlock and I see nothing wrong with that. Lights did not flicker and the air conditioner was not noisy. Ok the food could be improved and by comparison to the invariably high standard of food in Ubud the restaurant here was pretty poor. The rooms are a little tired; specifically the bathrooms but the bedroom area at least has character in it's furnishing and it's general outlook. So, a bathroom fix would make sense for the owners if they want to please guests.
As was stated the staff are typically pleasant, friendly and helpful. Their abilities in English were quite adequate in my view - they clearly understood all I had to say and vice versa.
The gardens are pretty much as good as any in Ubud accommodation, as with the food the standards in this region for ambiance and beauty are very high and it's rare to experience anything less.
The location is good but again this is shared with the vast majority of properties in Ubud.
So, I really have no complaints at all except to say the food and the bathroom was ordinary but both were adequate. I would certainly stay here again except that Ubud has so many hotels it is an experience to move around as long as you don't travel with vast amounts of luggage and want to lo look for the exceptional. That can be found in Bali by the way but it is unlikely on a budget but good value is also very important.

Room Tip: Upstairs at the back of the property.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at the Puri Garden for 3 nights and chose the hotel based on location and trip-advisor reviews. Sadly, I feel tripadvisor reviewers let us down on this occasion.

First impressions are very good, you enter the property through a decorative Balanese doorway and walk into a pleasant reception and the staff are courtious and polite. Our room was on the first floor and the balcony overlooked the pool ... so far, so good.

Closer inspection of the room showed it to be quite 'tired'. The sheets were stained, lights flickered, doors locked with a padlock, the shower head was very low. The balcony light had no switch and the bannister on the steps was lethal - so loose you could easily fall if you leant on it.

The gardens were pleasant, but the pool was disgusting. It had murky water and the tiles green with algae. I didn't ee anyone using it!

Breakfast buffet is included and taken above the restaurant. Probably the worse breakfast we have had - warm fruit and cold fried eggs served with stale bread.

We ate at the restaurant on two occasions (15% discount for guests). Both meals were okay and reasonably priced. My disappointment came when we ordered beer - 'Bintang' was on the menu but not in stock on our first visit, three days later they still hadn't got stock!

The hotel offered a Laundry service which stated "deliver by 10am, ready by 6pm" ... not so, the laundry is returned the next day. The laundry itself was very good, nicely folded and reasonably priced.

Overall I was disappointed with our stay which is a shame because other tripadvisor reviewers seem to like it? In my book, clean sheets, a clean pool, cold fruit and hot eggs are basic requirements!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ted B
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This place has a few positives which are worth a mention. In particular, the garden area is quite nice - sort of Balinese quaint, the girls on the desk always seemed lovely and very polite although they had very little English between them and the view from my room onto the back of the property onto a paddy field was a good one.

The only notable minor negatives would be stained bed linen and towels which could do with replacing and below average breakfasts.

This place would have probably got 3 stars from me if this were the full story.

Unfortunately, I've taken to writing this review and feel I have to give it a 'terrible' because I had an especially bad experience of this place that goes far beyond the quality of the bed linen...

After a long flight, the first problem was that the airport transfer that had been confirmed did not show up when I arrived at Bali airport. Having managed to call the hotel I originally had a failed conversation with a member of staff who couldn't speak any English and then finally was put onto someone who did. It turned out their driver was on holiday - nice of them to have let me know in advance! So I had to get another cab from the airport.

When I arrived, quite dazed, exhausted and still acclimatising to being in Bali I was pounced on by a porter who against my will insisted in taking my bag a very short distance to my room. Having done so he strongly hinted for a tip so I just took the first note from my wallet and handed it over. He took it and as he left he laughed and muttered something to a boy who was clearly a helper in the hotel. Unfamiliar with the currency, I took stock and realised I had given him a very poor tip and felt a bit bad but his insistence on carrying my bag, the short distance involved and his subsequent reaction certainly took the edge off my guilt.

The next day I had a couple of bizarre moments where there was a knock on my door from the same porter who looked surprised when I opened it and then had said he was just checking that I was enjoying my stay. Attentive service is nice but this was a bit strange.

I only mention the above episodes, which would otherwise be fairly insignificant, because in piecing everything together and by process of elimination I've come to the conclusion that my poor tip, and maybe the sense that as a lone traveller I might have been an 'easy target' is what led about half of the currency I had stashed in my bag (there was no safe in the room) to go missing. This added up to a lot of money.

I only noticed what I had lost when I got to my next place in another part of Bali and I retraced my steps and thought through every possible explanation for the loss - errors on my part and other opportunities for it to have been lost/ taken. I was upset to have to face that it went missing when I was out on my last evening out of my room at Puri Garden.

I doubt the owner of the hotel had anything to do with this - I'm sure it was a single rogue member of staff. Having been constantly impressed with the hospitality and politeness from pretty much everyone in Ubud, it's a shame to have had this experience slightly taint that perception. Here as much as anywhere, I'd urge all travellers to be careful to keep their possessions as secure as possible.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo