“Everything they say - and more”

Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique
Ranked #57 of 860 Restaurants in Ubud
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mozaic Restaurant is a fresh oasis of ingenuity in the world of gastronomy. It is the uniqueness of the experience that has become the hallmark of its reputation, encompassing the quality of the ingredients, the perfect execution, the sheer multitude of flavours and the quality of the service, all to be enjoyed in a lush tropical setting. Mozaic's ever-changing menu consists of a la minute creations which evolve, disappear and return in accordance with market availability. Chef Salans and his chef de cuisine prepare what inspires them in the moment, orchestrating their tasting menus like a symphony, a sequence of marvelous colours and flavours served by knowledgeable waiting staff before the sommelier indulges guests with his expertly paired wines. Mozaic is a true gustatory adventure, a dining experience as yet unrivaled in Bali. Awards: 1. Les Grandes Tables Du Monde Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique, is the first restaurant in Southeast Asia to be recognized by the prestigious Traditions et Qualite association as a member of ‘Les Grandes Tables Du Monde’ (The Grand Tables of the World), joining an exclusive membership including world most famous restaurants such as Lucas Carton (Alain Senderens), Le Louis XV and Plaza Athenee (Alain Ducasse), Guy Savoy (Guy Savoy) and The French Laundry (Thomas A Keller). 2. Wine Spectator - Award of Excellence 2016 Wine Spectator’s Restaurant Awards recognize restaurants whose wine lists offer interesting selections, are appropriate to their cuisine and appeal to a wide range of wine lovers. To qualify for an award, the list must present complete, accurate wine information. It must include vintages and appellations for all selections, including wines available by the glass. Complete producer names and correct spellings are crucial, and the overall presentation and appearance of the list is also taken into consideration. After meeting these basic requirements, lists are judged for one of the awards. 3. World Gourmet Summit 2015 MARTELL Asian Restaurant of the Year (Regional) This award seeks to recognize a restaurant / restaurant chain which serves Asian cuisine and promotes culinary and service excellence in the region. Eligible restaurants must have been in operation for two or more years (at the point of nomination). The nominated restaurant must have consistently exceeded the standards of excellence and provided extraordinary dining experiences for guests.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We chose Mozaic for our wedding anniversary dinner. We booked from Perth before we left Australia and found this an easy process. On arrival, we loved the look of the venue inside - outside is unprepossessing. The whole experience could have been had in any first class restaurant anywhere in the world. We sat in the garden restaurant - not an experience you could have anywhere - this was special and beautiful. The food: beautifully thought out. Wonderful blend of Asian flavours teamed with the French influence and flair. Each course was explained for us - we are foodies and had many questions about where ingredients are sourced and how they were used in the various dishes. This is not Asian food - not a grain of rice to be seen - and we recommend that you go and experience this wonderful restaurant. The paired wines rounded the entire thing off beautifully. Yes, it is expensive especially by Balinese standards but in our view, worth paying for the great service, great wines, amazing food and service. Understand before you go that you will pay for this - then sit back and enjoy being truly spoiled.

1  Thank Willy013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,664)

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I don’t normally enjoy restaurants where you’re required to go with a tasting menu / price fixed option but was very happy with the choice for Mosaic. We went with the local menu – they lay out for you the 6 local ingredients that will be featured dish by dish which I thought was a very nice touch. Also, we found we got Indonesian flavors but not traditional Indonesian dishes which was a nice break.
Note – they sell cigars as well including Cubans.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had heard great things about Mozaic and my husband was very excited to book it for our honeymoon trip. It was quite honestly the only letdown we had on our trip. It is overhyped. For starters I find it annoying that they serve you the amuse bouche at their lounge, probably to swindle you out of more money. They recommended their champagne cocktail at $25 USD. We opted for only one drink and a bottle of wine once we sat at the table which was not particularly good even though the bottle's price merited at least an average taste. We decided on the Chef's surprise menu. Some dishes were good even if it was a bit odd that they would give us different dishes though we both had gotten the same tasting menu. But the biggest problem we had were the absolutely horrendous desserts. Simply put the desserts were gross. A $400 meal should never leave you feeling disappointed yet this meal definitely did. Save your money! Go to Lemak or the Chedi Club restaurant if you want a nice meal.

1  Thank keli22o
gm-mozaic, General Manager at Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Mozaic Guest,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post a review about our internationally awarded Fine Dining Restaurant. Your comments have been taken on board and will be reviewed by the team and myself personally. I am very sorry to hear that unlike most of our guests you haven’t enjoyed your experience in Mozaic and that our Chef’s creations were not of your liking.

Every guest, upon arriving at Mozaic is escorted to our lounge prior to the dining table as most of our customers enjoy a drink before going for dinner. Should anyone wish to go directly to the table, it is also possible, just a word with our hostess and she will be please to oblige. Together with the eventual drink, our staff brings a complimentary canapé to enjoy with the cocktail or the wine.

Unfortunately wine price in Indonesia is highly affected by import duties and taxes: roughly 400% of initial price. We try to do everything we can to keep the price of bottles and glasses reasonable, and Wine Spectator upon giving us their Award of Excellence for our wine list, recognized our efforts and put in the comments of his website that our list is “inexpensive”. Still compared to Europe or other overseas destinations, prices are still higher than anyone would expect. I’m sorry you didn’t like the bottle you chose and ordered, in the future I suggest you to ask advice to our trained sommelier before opening a wine you were not familiar with, he would have been suggesting you a wine more close to your personal tastes.

Thank you once again for sharing your point of view with our readers, I am personally sorry we were not able to please you entirely and my team and I will continue working hard in our efforts to please every Mozaic customer.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We are thrilled to be living in Bali so we can come back to Mozaic again! From the instant I emailed to make a reservation I was met with nothing but incredible customer service, ranging from advice on local hotels and willingness to change our reservation details even down to the last minute. The atmosphere is lovely, with welcoming and very knowledgeable staff; we loved taking time to sit in the lounge and enjoy a drink and at no point felt rushed to take our seat. The outside dining area is stunningly decorated; simple yet beautiful and the perfect place to celebrate my partner's birthday. Attentive service, with pauses between each course was appreciated...and then there was the food!

We chose the Chef's Surprise menu, each opting to have something different for each course...by simply providing information on what each of us didn't like, somehow every single course was perfectly suited to each of us. Even better, because we chose to have different dishes, we were able sample each others and so we really got to try 12 delicious dishes...who could ask for more?!

We have eaten at a large number of restaurants on Bali, and there was a few that are up there with Mosaic, but this restaurant stands above the rest not only in food, but also in the level of service that is provided, and the beautiful setting. And prices are also no more expensive than other restaurants of this standard on Bali.

Everything was absolutely perfect, and we can't thank the Mozaic team enough for helping make my partner's birthday that much more special. We will be back!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I just read something that San Francisco was voted one of the snobbiest cities because of our food culture. So I'll preface this by saying I live in SF and yes, I have high standards. That said, for all the raves I've heard about Mozaic, it hasn't been the food is great for Ubud, what I heard was it is on the global culinary map which is why in the land of $6 USD meals, we decided to splurge.

The service was good, the ambience is fine. The food was just not tasty. We got the traditional Balinese tasting menu and the other traditional tasting menu. What I liked about the Balinese tasting menu was they brought out a platter of the local ingredients (tamarind, ginger flower) which is quite nice. But the way the ingredients were used in the dish was disappointing. Rather than being integrated into the dish, the ingredients seemed to stand out on their own. For example, a tamarind past painted onto the plate or minced ginger glower on top of fish/shrimp (can't remember which it was). And while we had spent a week in Ubud and very much enjoyed the local food (if you eat pork, you must try babu guling at Ibu Oka for $4 USD), we didn't enjoy Mozaic's take on Balinese food.

Overall the food didn't feel balanced. The above are examples but it really permeated most of what we had. One ingredient overpowering another, too much foam, etc. I ended up giving my husband most of my food because I just didn't enjoy it much.

And our meal, without drinks, came out to be over $200 USD which is quite expensive in the states and outrageously expensive in Ubud. I wanted to like it, I really did, but I won't return and caution you to think about where you want to spend your money. Minami a few doors up has lovely Japanese cuisine and we ordered way more food than the average person and it was ~$60 USD. And I don't know if only guests can dine at Bambu Indah, but if you can eat there, you should as they have some of the best food we ate while in Ubud.

Happy travels and good eats!

Dear Mozaic Guest,

Thank you for sharing your point of view about Mozaic and I am sorry that unlike most of our guests you haven’t enjoyed your experience in internationally awarded fine dining restaurant. I would like to take this occasion to thank you for your nice words about our service and staff, Mozaic commitment to high quality and great service has been confirmed again this year by the Miele Guide that awarded Mozaic as #1 in Indonesia in their Asia’s Top 20 Restaurants list and from ranking in the San Pellegrino Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants.

Mozaic is a Fine Dining restaurant and it is unique in the panorama of the dining scene in Bali; we do innovative cuisine blending local flavors with the best imported ingredients on the market, using modern cooking techniques and I am personally very sorry that you didn’t enjoy it. Just to clarify though, we are in no way doing Balinese or Indonesian cuisine, we do modern french cuisine with Indonesian flavors. We offer four degustation menu and our prices start from 65 USD for a six courses menu. We do understand that our flavors are somehow innovative and for more traditional palates a little complicated to accept, but it is this peculiarity that in the past 12 years made us unique in the Indonesian gastronomical scene.