“More than lives up to the hype”

Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique
Ranked #49 of 780 Restaurants in Ubud
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mozaic Restaurant is a fresh oasis of ingenuity in the world of gastronomy. It is the uniqueness of the experience that has become the hallmark of its reputation, encompassing the quality of the ingredients, the perfect execution, the sheer multitude of flavours and the quality of the service, all to be enjoyed in a lush tropical setting. Mozaic's ever-changing menu consists of a la minute creations which evolve, disappear and return in accordance with market availability. Chef Salans and his chef de cuisine prepare what inspires them in the moment, orchestrating their tasting menus like a symphony, a sequence of marvelous colours and flavours served by knowledgeable waiting staff before the sommelier indulges guests with his expertly paired wines. Mozaic is a true gustatory adventure, a dining experience as yet unrivaled in Bali. Awards: 1. Les Grandes Tables Du Monde Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique, is the first restaurant in Southeast Asia to be recognized by the prestigious Traditions et Qualite association as a member of ‘Les Grandes Tables Du Monde’ (The Grand Tables of the World), joining an exclusive membership including world most famous restaurants such as Lucas Carton (Alain Senderens), Le Louis XV and Plaza Athenee (Alain Ducasse), Guy Savoy (Guy Savoy) and The French Laundry (Thomas A Keller). 2. Wine Spectator - Award of Excellence 2016 Wine Spectator’s Restaurant Awards recognize restaurants whose wine lists offer interesting selections, are appropriate to their cuisine and appeal to a wide range of wine lovers. To qualify for an award, the list must present complete, accurate wine information. It must include vintages and appellations for all selections, including wines available by the glass. Complete producer names and correct spellings are crucial, and the overall presentation and appearance of the list is also taken into consideration. After meeting these basic requirements, lists are judged for one of the awards. 3. World Gourmet Summit 2015 MARTELL Asian Restaurant of the Year (Regional) This award seeks to recognize a restaurant / restaurant chain which serves Asian cuisine and promotes culinary and service excellence in the region. Eligible restaurants must have been in operation for two or more years (at the point of nomination). The nominated restaurant must have consistently exceeded the standards of excellence and provided extraordinary dining experiences for guests.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I dined at Mozaic last night and it was everything we hoped it would be. From the minute we walked in and were led by our gracious hostess to the hip lounge area where we were served well made martinis and complimentary cheese puffs filled with truffle melted butter - to the moment we returned to the lounge to enjoy our chocolate soufflé dessert while listening to the live jazz trio - we were impressed.

There were four 6 course menus to choose from, including vegetarian, chef's surprise - where the chef picks for you - a slightly lower end "discovery menu" and lastly, the showcase "chef's tasting menu" which changes daily. One can select a bottle of wine from their extensive wine cellar, or choose to do pairings with each course - regular or premium.

My husband and I each selected the chef's tasting menu with the premium wine pairings. We were first brought an amuse bouche of salmon and salmon roe in creme fraiche rolled into a mini cone and presented standing in a tiny glass vessel filled with I believe black and white sesame seeds. It was delicious! We had short ribs, tuna sashimi, an amazing little dish of some sort of mollusc ceviche served with fried Parma. It was all incredibly delicate, inventive and wonderfully tasty. I recommend it most highly - the wine pairings were also perfect and the staff friendly and trained to a very high level. It is very expensive, but if you can afford it - Go!

There are newer reviews for Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our second time dining at Mozaic and if anything I think it was better than the first amazing time. Mozaic is very expensive even by Australian standards and especially in Bali but as it was our wedding anniversary we were happy to splurge.

We chose the Chef's Choice menu and the premium wine matching option and were very impressed with both. The six course degustation was really delightful especially the Prime Angus Beef (which the previous reviewer called veal?!). The slipper lobster dish was sublime. The only discordant for me was desert of "chocolate soup" which was very similar to a chocolate fondant and struck a rather clumsy note (in portion size and taste) in comparision to the dainty, pretty and artistic previous dishes.

The service was professional and courteous and the Manager/Sommelier was very informative and charming when he stopped at our table for a chat.

The setting for dinner in the beautiful garden is just magical and romantic.

Although expensive, Mozaic is, for us, one of Bali's special places.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner and I recently went to the Mozaic restaurant in Seminyak and were delighted with service and the quality of the food, although pricey in comparison to the same standard of restaurant in the area.

On eating at the Ubud restaurant we were very disappointed. We both had the Chefs surprise menu. The dishes were not well designed and tasted bland and over complex. My partners lobster dish was not fresh and the sauce was not ideal to accompany the lobster. The veal was lovely however overall this meal did not represent value for money.

The staff were fantastic however did not handle the fact we were sending meals back barely touched. I certainly hopebthisvwas just a one off night as the restaurant has a great reputation that was not shown on this night.

The desserts were once again not up to par with some combinations that did not work such as beetroot, olive and apple sorbet.

For 600 USD I would expect a much better quality meal and will stick to other restaurants in the future.

gm-mozaic, General Manager at Mozaic Restaurant Gastronomique, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Mozaic Guest,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post a review about our internationally awarded Fine Dining Restaurant. Your comments have been taken on board and will be reviewed by the team and myself personally. I am very sorry to hear that unlike most of our guests you haven’t enjoyed your experience in Mozaic and that our Chef’s creations were not of your liking.

Mozaic is a Fine Dining restaurant and it is unique in the panorama of the dining scene in Bali; we do innovative cuisine blending local flavors with the best imported ingredients on the market, using modern cooking techniques. Sometimes our chefs’ creations can be challenging for the palate but it’s these types of creations that made Mozaic cuisine famous worldwide. I’m personally very sorry that you didn’t like it and that my team was not attentive enough to notice it and adjust the menu to more classic tastes. I will make sure that we as a team will learn from this.

With regards to your remark about our service staff not noticing the dishes sent back though, I had an internal investigation (as it is standard procedure to check the satisfaction of every customer after every dish and proceed to immediate replacement of the dish in case of need) and it emerged that your table sent back untouched only one dish (the lobster) and our staff asked you if something was wrong about it and you answered that it was your personal taste. As per our standards, we offer to replace the dish and you declined.

I have also taken on board your remark about the pricing, and on this matter I would like to clarify that our prices start from 65 USD (plus taxes and service charges) per person for a six course menu, a fraction of the price for similar menus anywhere else in the world; and should you wish to pair each dish with a carefully chosen glass of wine from our extensive list, you can purchase an optional wine pairing priced based on the high costs of imported alcohol in Indonesia (approximately 400% of import duty on a bottle of wine) starting at 60 USD per person. Our guests can also choose to get wine by the glass (with prices starting at 14 USD per glass) or by the bottle and the possibility of bringing your own bottle of wine is also contemplated.

Thank you once again for sharing your point of view with our readers, I am personally sorry we were not able to please you entirely and my team and I will continue working hard in our efforts to please every Mozaic customer.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have heard much and read a few reviews on this restaurant and now i have tried it. It is always a pleasure i think to find someone in this world who strives for excellence in what they do and that is the feeling we were left with. Beginning in the lounge the cocktails we were served were delicious and prepared with obviously a very experienced bar staff, we will go back just to enjoy another of their delicious cocktails and a sample of the bar menu. For dinner in the garden we sampled two different menus. One was the vegetarian and the other was the chefs discovery with his premium wine choices. I would imagine when serving 5 or 6 different courses to each person it is difficult to have a 100 percent rave reviews on each coarse. I enjoyed each coarse of the vegetarian menu, it was beautifully presented by very a professional and polished waiter. My husband who had the discovery menu was less fortunate with his choices but the standard of the food and the staff involved is simply excellent. A great team of people working together on all levels to offer customers a completely enjoyable experience, and that is what we took home..

Reviewed February 14, 2013

It is amazing, the chef's menus is better than the discovery ones. foods are amazing, very tasty. It is just unforgettable. And the price is actually reasonable for a 3 stars Michelin restaurant - I've tried a one start in Paris with double price.

I think it is a must go place in Bali. highly recommended!