“Not a gracious host”
Review of Cafe des Artistes

Cafe des Artistes
Ranked #86 of 768 Restaurants in Ubud
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
New York, New York, United States
“Not a gracious host”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I chose to dine at Cafe des Artistes because we were looking for a break from Indonesian cuisine while in Bali. It was also suggested in our Lonely Planet travel book. The setting is lovely, but the servers are so timid. The servers obviously have never tried the food because they weren't even able to make any recommendations.
We chose the mussels as a starter. . . 5 covered in cheese with mixed greens. Eh. . . I had the lamb medallions, which I really enjoyed; however, my husband's chicken cordon bleu was mediocre. The ambiance is nice, but it is all open air. It was a hot night, and we asked to move to sit underneath a ceiling fan to cool off.
The restaurant, service, and food were all fine. . . nothing fantastic. The restaurant advertises Belgian food, but the selection is extremely poor. Same with the beer. Only 3 Belgian beer options: Stella, Hoegarden, and Leffe. Apparently, Belgian beer isn't even always available, which is advertised on the tables. I assume this has more to do with importation than anything, and is not the fault of the restaurant.
My biggest complaint with Cafe des Artistes is that during our dining experience I noticed a group of men behind us who seemed very important. I work in hospitality and service in Manhattan, and understand how the restaurant business works. I realized one of the men in the group was the owner of the restaurant. In my opinion, if you are managing/own a business, your job is to make sure everyone who is spending money in your establishment is happy. You are the host of the entire restaurant, not just of your loud friends. When I realized this man was the owner, I wanted to introduce myself and compliment him on his business; however, as my dining experience continued, I changed my mind. I realized this man didn't care about anyone in his restaurant except his friends. He gave off the impression that he was doing us a favor by providing us with this dining opportunity in Bali. Total turnoff!
Skip Cafe des Artistes and go down the street 5 minutes to teraZo!!! The staff understands their menu, wine list, and proper steps of service ten times better than anything this mediocre restaurant can offer. They are also friendly and thankful for your business!

1 Thank BFadoul

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
“Not has expected...”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Every UBUD's guidebook I look into was mentioning the Café des artistes, so we went to have lunch after a scooter ride around UBUD. I was expecting a nice Café in a great emplacement and good food. Not quite.... the food was ok but with all the good restaurants in UBUD you can get better food, beautiful location for a better price.

2 Thank Vadam_mtl
Oirschot
“A very good place in Ubud if you like Belgian beer and delicious food.”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Cafe des Artistes is a restaurant in Jalan Bisma in Ubud (Bali). It is a place where you can find real Belgian beers and delicious food. It is a little more expensive than most restaurants in Ubud but it is also much better than most restaurants in Ubud.
Ubud is getting more and more busy and it's charm is dissappearing, but Jalan Bisma still is a street which has something special because it is close to the ricefields.
So, if you visit Cafe des Artistes, you won't be dissapointed.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Kees S
Bali, Indonesia
“Cafe des Artistes - the Cafe of Artistes?”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Cafe des Artistes is one of Ubud's most popular restaurants but one wonders why. The artistry of the chef was not apparent. I could do a full food critique but I will spare you the trouble. Suffice to say, the garlic bread was sent back. Our steaks came soggy and lacking flavour. Twice we sent them back to try and get them seared and the end result was marginally better. The chocolate cake stuffed with cream was overly sweet and we left half of it on the plate. All the other desserts were local ice cream with various toppings. Why? when there is so much fantastic produce in Ubud! The drinks were fine and a good price. The music - a kind of jazz blues was fantastic. perfect pitch and just loud enough to enjoy with dominating the room. However in the end, the bill was high enough t warrant a meal of a much much higher standard. Go again? only if invited!

2 Thank nosourgrapes
“Whoa”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I dont understand where some of you have been eating. This place is not good at all. Ambiance is a combination of things, this place had really bad cheesy 90's background elevator music going. You can just download some good tunes online. If all else fails just throw on some jazz or a cafe del mar cd. Secondly i went in for steak because you were raving on about it. Steak was way overcooked and had two frozen chunks of garlic butter on it. I returned and staff said thats how we do it here and i said okay i will wait for it to melt. Still frozen even after i finished my meal. Salad accompanying the steak was no good at all. Just cold veggies.

All in all it really was a tourist spot that Shows that ubud still has a ways to go before really offering up some culinary gems. The day i secure a land deal there i will bring you all something more legit. Show em how its done

1 Thank 4121981