“Why you go to Bali”
Review of Kebun Indah

Kebun Indah
Ranked #132 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I have a hard time imagining that there's a better mid-range hotel in Bali for many reasons, but to list a few:

- Quiet: The cottages that make up Kebun Indah are set off the road and behind a small rice paddy, so you don't hear the incessant buzz of moped traffic. However, it's still in easy walking distance to restaurants and the monkey forest.
- Clean: I stayed in one of the newer rooms, which was immense (king sized bed, day bed and probably room for two more cots) and meticulously maintained. The inside was spartan, but it had a few pieces of Balinese art that were nice. The bathroom was also swept and mopped everyday. The room had an AC, which was great. The heat and humidity in Bali was unreal.
- Details: Breakfast was included in the rate. You order at the desk and ten minutes later, a gigantic meal is brought to your private patio by a smiling woman. I felt like a princess. At dusk, they will also light a couple of incense coils at your front door, which I loved. Hard to enjoy a sunset when you're being eaten alive.

I had Kebun arrange the airport pick up for a competitive $25 and was glad I did. Traffic and road conditions in Denpasar and Ubud weren't great. I liked my driver so much that I hired him on to do a day tour of western Bali.

Finally, book ahead. I booked almost a month in advance and got the last room.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank AppleBiter

Reviewed December 2, 2011

My family stayed at kebun indah for five nights, but we could have stayed for about a month! When we entered the hotel, we had a quick look at the souvenir shop at the front until we were shown our rooms, kondok 1 & 2. They were really nice, with beautiful bathrooms that had pavings in the shower. The beds were very cozy, with mozzie nets offered and the room had some beautiful balinese architecture. Kondok 2 had a day bed and a pretty little garden. Breakfast was included and we ate it outside everyday, in peaceful tranquility by the rice paddies. The breakfast itself had a great variety of options, including a delicious black rice pudding and a banana jaffle with honey seeping out. Afternoon tea daily was also included which consisted of tea, coffee and cake. The pool was nice, a bit too shady but still relaxing and there were many activities you could do at the hotel, including basket weaving which my sister and i did with the lovely Wayan helping us. The staff service and friendliness was all to an exceptional standard. For 25 dollars a night per room, you get way more than you pay for! Stay here!

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Anna-bina
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We stayed in the Kodok 2 room - it was absolutely perfect. Very clean, lovely decor, spacious and reasonably priced. The staff are fantastic - very friendly and helful. The breakfast is amazing and the tea and cakes in the afternoon was a great treat. I would definitely recommend this place. We stayed here a week and loved every minute of it. The hotel is a little oasis and was a highlight of our trip to Indonesia.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wendy2223
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I really wasn't expecting this Hotel. It was built by a local Artist, and couldn't have been more beautiful. It is tucked away from the street traffic. Lush tropical surroundings, and loads of nature. The rooms are all different - go to thier website for photos of them. Much of the staff has been around for many years, and all of the guests we spoke to had been there before - multiple times. We heard of one guest who has reserved a room for 10 years in advance. It's that kind of place. Breakfast is served on your terrace or balcony with views of the Rice Fields and Great pool area. This property does not have Air Conditioning, but the company has 3 other similar properties that do. This hotel is in the foothills, so less humid. We were fortunate to have a couple of small Gecko Lizards in the bathroom - so no bugs. Expect a cottage experience unlike any hotel you have visited. Good food and shopping in the area, and cultural dances nearby.

Room Tip: There are only 6 rooms - so book it when you can get it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MGMTraveler
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed at Kebun Indah as part of a personal Yoga retreat. I had researched on Trip Advisor andfound the other hotels of Alam Indah group were booked. As it turned out Kebun Indah was perfectly located for me, just a couple of hundred metres walk to the Yoga Barn and with many good restaurants within metres. The accommodation itself is tucked away behind the noise and bustle of the street through a rice paddy lined walkway to an oasis of peaceful serenity. I stayed in Kodok 2 and had a very large room and bathroom and my own little garden to sit and look out upon or snooze on the daybed. Tea/coffee and cake were served to me anytime of the day i requested and the breakfasts were more than i could eat and all delicious, delivered to my own private patio. Fresh flowers were arranged and brought to my room daily as well as room servicing and laundry - all this for $30 a night! Oh and any time i wanted a lift (anywhere) i just had to let the office know or call in to one their restaurants and they would call a driver or take me home on a scooter - no taxi's ever, it was like having my own personal chauffeur on call! By the way, I had the best meal and saw the best show ever in Bali at their Laka Leke restaurant, so would highly recommend that too.
kebun Indah is not 5 star, and it's a bit worn around the edges and the pool tiles could do with a good scrub, but the service is impeccable and this is a traditional Balinese homestay at it's best and represents excellent value for money. I would not hesitate to to try another of their properties in the group.

Room Tip: Kodok 2 has a lovely private garden adjoining it as well as a daybed on the verandah.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank susieQNoosa
Reviewed November 13, 2011

great place to stay very clean nice location good pool food very reasonable priced near all attractions

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is not a five star luxury establishment - but it is an honest, good value, down to earth hotel in which I could happily spend another holiday. During my stay the Kebun Indah staff were always accommodating and helpful - mostly business like - never fawning - but in typical Balinese style never 'too busy' to engage in warm conversation if offered the opportunity. My only reluctance in writing this review is that (a) once the secret is out it may become too popular! and I may not be able to get a booking when I next want one, and (b) some visitors to this hotel, with its evident rustic charm and shabby chic, "just might not get it"....

ps the breakfasts ARE as good as the other reviewers say.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo