“Quirky and eccentric”

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quirky and eccentric”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

A must see even if you're not a big art fan. The resident birds are a sight and the building itself is quite stunning. The 500K entry includes a welcome drink, so hardly expensive. And, Don Blanco's art is certainly an eye opener...

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bali, Indonesia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“phenomenal 'mad' artist gallery pack in one”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

the story behind Don Antonio Blanco and his family life is the most interesting part of my visit. I personally understand nothing about paintings and arts. but this museum is just cool. fits for anyone.
Don Antonio Blanco designed his own frame along with his painting, so its pack in one theme. everything is so original and well designed.
Don Antonio Blanco's son also has his own gallery near his studio.
this museum has a special room suitable for kids above 17 y o. displayed sensual arts.
you can change your entrance ticket for a welcome drink at Rondji Restaurant.

Ubud, Indonesia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The best thing about this place is the birds”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

They have many different kinds of gorgeous exotic birds on the grounds here. They give you a drink on arrival which is nice. The building is impressive and the view from the top is great. However, the art was "old beatnik." Kinda lecherous and not in a sexy way, just pathetic. Lots of artsy fartsy collages and tacky 60s era paintings. If you go, you have got to see the photo of Antonio Blanco with his family. He's flourishing paintbrushes and has the most ridiculous "I'm so full of myself" pose. It's a laugh though I feel sorry for his family.

Visited June 2012
Trafalgar South, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Not for me”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I went with my husband and a friend to see this 'museum and I was highly disappointed.

My husband wanted to go as we missed the opportunity last time we were in Ubud, so we made a special trip to it.

I don't know why people complain about costs here in Ubud...50,000rp to get in? Big deal, it's only $5 bucks out of my wallet and I'd pay much more for the experience in Queensland being photographed with parrots. So, value for money it was ok and worth it just to have photos with the gorgeous parrots.

The grounds are spectacular and the buildings amazing. The first thing you notice is the grand entrance that looks like some kind of twining serpent...except it's the artists signature in a stylised format. I didn't realise that the Blanco Museum was a monument to one person, I thought it was a collection of works by a person or the a 'white' building.

So, we go through the doors and I'm gobsmacked at the overindulgent opulence of the place. And that's just the building...the artworks themselves are like being force fed fairy floss and then spun around at 100mph...it's dizzying seeing all of this over the top, mad-hatterish style framing and self aggrandising adornments on most of the work.

I'm no fine artist, but I do know art, and Antonio's work is lovely and skilful, showing a unique style he made all his, yet to me, his fixation on the erotic and the over-endowment of his women, made the visit less than it could have been. Here was a talented man who found himself on a tropical island where all his european fantasies, fed from national geographics and Margaret Meade, came to life in the innocent balinese women.

As I made my way through this 'mausoleum' of sex I noticed many of his works seemed to have the genitalia erased and darkened...wasn't sure about why, given the erotic nature of most of his works on display.

Don't be mistaken, this is a man who was very talented and forsook the standard art school teachings to develop his own style, and his lifestyle may not have been to everyones taste, but he wasn't a fool when it came to monetising and cashing in on the people he met, mentors and his ability to work a canvas.

As I went through the exhibition it was apparent to me that a number of pieces were mere reproductions - reproductions printed on canvas. I can buy this material and print my own reproductions, and I've seen this before, so I was deeply disappointed by this.

Another thing that bothered me was the exiting of the building. I would have loved the opportunity to purchase some of the works in printed reproductions, but there was nothing available like this. Most 'museums' have this, so it was a lack I felt keenly...something light to take home as a memory in my luggage or to send to friends would have been very good.

We were directed to the studio and then we went through some other buildings...and then we exited into the carpark and had to re-enter the facility again in order to get to the restaurant.

Would I go again or take anyone there? No.
Would a serious artist be interested? I don't think so.
Would I recommend this to a visitor? No, I don't think so.
Was it expensive? No
Did I get something for my money? Yes - pictures with gorgeous parrots.

There is a very steep climb with no stairs to get to the museum, and it's not pram or disabled friendly in any way.

The restaurant has a lovely menu, and considering the range of prices in Ubud, is mid range. $9 approx for a main meal. It's not pretentious, and has great bathroom facilities. They give you a lovely caramel coffee iced drink after your visit which is delightfully refreshing. I'd go back to the restaurant for a meal, but they are desperate for customers and will push you for a booking/reservation.

1 Thank cagfire
Ubud, Bali
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Stunning”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I love the story of the founding family. The museum building and grounds are a trip in themselves. The art is an added bonus. They have recently opened a restaurant but I have not yet been there.

Visited September 2012