“Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Bambu Indah was the highlight of my trip to Bali. The pristine green organic gardens and grounds, overlooking fields of rice pads in the valley below, offered a magical backdrop to the very cool Bambu structures and wood bungalows. The service was amazing, the staff super friendly and the food delicious. Great to start my day with a yoga class overlooking the beautiful gardens. Can't wait to return to this very special place.

Room Tip: Stayed in Kona room which has a rope swing from the window to pool below. Fun for kids.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

When I arrived at the Bambu Indah I was greeted with "Welcome to the Jungle". As a frequent international traveler I was in need for some back to nature and plenty of R&R. I must say that this trip accomplished both of these goals with stellar performance. The staff was attentive to my needs and always ready with the guidance needed to tour around. They arranged a driver, planned our tour and even packed us some local clothing for our trip to the Temple. The organic food grown on the property is used to prepare their menu items. I can vouch for the breakfast, lunch and tea time that the food is amazing. Don't miss the Bambu Indah !! My wife and I will be back.

Salt Spring Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

If you are looking for an authentic Bali experience, make sure you try Bambu Indah, a 10 minute drive from Ubud. I stayed there for a family wedding and it was the perfect place to celebrate together as a group. It is also a welcome retreat from the hustle & bustle of Ubud. The hotel features a collection of restored Javanese bungalows, grouped around a spring-fed swimming pool, on the edge of the spectacular Ayung river valley in Sayan. Tea is served on the terrace in the afternoons, with a panoramic view of rice terraces across the valley. Each bungalow has its own unique character, with antique furniture, colourful cushions, and traditional decor. The bathrooms are set outdoors in private gardens. Surrounding the bungalows are organic gardens growing rice and vegetables. The pool is wonderfully refreshing, spring-fed, with a continuous flow of water, lined with rocks - though a bit slippery, so be careful. The staff were all extremely courteous and helpful, and the restaurant serves delicious and nutricious meals, including the best Balinese food I enjoyed during my stay in Bali. Our family enjoyed several festive occasions in the spacious pavilion, watching the sunset over the rice terraces. There is also a large area for Yoga classes, and massage rooms above the restaurant. The hotel was happy to organize local massage therapists to come to the hotel. There is plenty of inexpensive taxi service available in the village. I highly recommend Bambu Indah if you are looking for a quiet sanctuary in natural surroundings, a unique Bali experience, or a private group facility for a special event.

Room Tip: Best views are from Afrika & Padi House, but for older folk, try Elora House or Java Lama, as so...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I will not forget our stay at Bambu Indah for a very long time!!! Breathtaking views and surroundings, lovely staff, outdoor bathrooms, fresh organic food, and a true feeling of being away from it all (although you really are only a minute from the hustle and bustle of Bali living).
We stayed in Padi house but also looked at 3 of the other houses... Padi (and Africa) does have the best view and direct access to the pool, although the other houses had their unique selling points too - a glass floor over water, or surrounded by a pond of koi fish, better bathrooms etc...

Dining options are somewhat limited - although that's probably due to the small number of guests - but the food that we had was so fresh and wholesome. Afternoon tea is between 4 and 6pm and in keeping with the rest of our stay, it was very relaxing and pleasant as you watch the sunsetting over the paddies.

My only suggestive feedback would be that they provide a few more toiletries (e.g. shower cap, moisturizer etc.) and that perhaps they could do a few shuttles each day to Ubud centre (although the drivers are pretty cheap).

Despite all the above, I'm not sure Bambu is for 'everyone' e.g. my mother! The pool is all natural so that means little bugs/fish/frogs and slippery footing. The outdoor copper shower is a novelty but an outdoor bathroom is not conducive to spending long amounts of time outside in the evening given mosquitoes etc. You are away from the action - you can't really walk anywhere of interest. There are no tvs, music dock etc. so I'm not sure how long you would want to stay there with kids? (I don't have kids, so may be wrong here). We mixed our stay at Bambu Indah with a 'traditional' swanky villa stay in Seminyak which has given us a perfect combo of relaxation and accommodation styles.

I would definitely go back if ever in Ubud again.

Room Tip: Padi and Africa have best views. But all rooms seemed to have their good points!! Loved the one whic...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Bambu Indah is the place to go to unwind and reconnect with nature. The grounds are lush, green and beautiful and there are only 11 traditional "huts" or houses so you really have to book early to get the ones with the better views (Padi and Africa has the best views FYI) I stayed at Padi House and you can see the padi fields and the natural "pool" is right outside my hut! The staff were really sweet too, to decorate the porch with flowers that read "Honeymoon" :) The first night there was quite eventful as we were woken up in the middle of the night as the roof was leaking during a storm! The staff came soon after we called them and we had to move to another hut for the night in almost pitch darkness (quite an adventure, I must say). They fixed our roof the next day and they had to fix the toilet as well (couldn't flush). When we arrived, the staff explained in great detail about the high-tech japanese toilet but the butt-cleaning functions of the toilet never did work (before and after the repair). Other than this 2 hiccups, we still enjoyed our stay there. Lovely place.

Room Tip: Choose Africa House and Padi House if you want a good view
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Bambu Indah reminds one of traditional living in Southeast Asia. Guests room in beautifully restored Javanese houses and the pond/swimming pool was amazing. I stayed in the Padi House and lying on my porch with a book in hand, watching the sun set was one of the most unforgettable experiences I have had. Travelling to Ubud was extremely cheap too because I rented the scooter.

I highly recommend this place if you are looking for something different and is ready to be blown away.

Room Tip: The Padi and Africa houses are the most expensive for a reason - they have the most stunning view of...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hongkong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Not sure that I should share this review as I think Bambuh Indah should remain a well kept secret...however...I just had the magical experience of being there for my daughter's wedding...it was the most magnificent, intimate, beautiful backdrop...a rice fields view in the glow of a Balinese sunset. We had the place to ourselves and our wedding guests as there are only 11 houses in the resort. Staying in Jawa Lama house provided all the facilities of a 5 star resort but with the ambience of a 1000 year old Javanese wedding house complete with squeaky floorboards. If you love nature, Bambuh Indah is for you...our house had a view of the jungle and rice fields below. The beds are securely netted from mosquitoes. The staff are typically friendly Balinese and did everything they could to provide us all with a happy experience...the food was deliciously home grown. Thank you for the memories Bambuh Indah.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family