“Sanctuary in Sayan”

Ranked #61 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Salt Spring Island, Canada
“Sanctuary in Sayan”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

If you are looking for an authentic Bali experience, make sure you try Bambu Indah, a 10 minute drive from Ubud. I stayed there for a family wedding and it was the perfect place to celebrate together as a group. It is also a welcome retreat from the hustle & bustle of Ubud. The hotel features a collection of restored Javanese bungalows, grouped around a spring-fed swimming pool, on the edge of the spectacular Ayung river valley in Sayan. Tea is served on the terrace in the afternoons, with a panoramic view of rice terraces across the valley. Each bungalow has its own unique character, with antique furniture, colourful cushions, and traditional decor. The bathrooms are set outdoors in private gardens. Surrounding the bungalows are organic gardens growing rice and vegetables. The pool is wonderfully refreshing, spring-fed, with a continuous flow of water, lined with rocks - though a bit slippery, so be careful. The staff were all extremely courteous and helpful, and the restaurant serves delicious and nutricious meals, including the best Balinese food I enjoyed during my stay in Bali. Our family enjoyed several festive occasions in the spacious pavilion, watching the sunset over the rice terraces. There is also a large area for Yoga classes, and massage rooms above the restaurant. The hotel was happy to organize local massage therapists to come to the hotel. There is plenty of inexpensive taxi service available in the village. I highly recommend Bambu Indah if you are looking for a quiet sanctuary in natural surroundings, a unique Bali experience, or a private group facility for a special event.

Room Tip: Best views are from Afrika & Padi House, but for older folk, try Elora House or Java Lama, as so...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I will not forget our stay at Bambu Indah for a very long time!!! Breathtaking views and surroundings, lovely staff, outdoor bathrooms, fresh organic food, and a true feeling of being away from it all (although you really are only a minute from the hustle and bustle of Bali living).
We stayed in Padi house but also looked at 3 of the other houses... Padi (and Africa) does have the best view and direct access to the pool, although the other houses had their unique selling points too - a glass floor over water, or surrounded by a pond of koi fish, better bathrooms etc...

Dining options are somewhat limited - although that's probably due to the small number of guests - but the food that we had was so fresh and wholesome. Afternoon tea is between 4 and 6pm and in keeping with the rest of our stay, it was very relaxing and pleasant as you watch the sunsetting over the paddies.

My only suggestive feedback would be that they provide a few more toiletries (e.g. shower cap, moisturizer etc.) and that perhaps they could do a few shuttles each day to Ubud centre (although the drivers are pretty cheap).

Despite all the above, I'm not sure Bambu is for 'everyone' e.g. my mother! The pool is all natural so that means little bugs/fish/frogs and slippery footing. The outdoor copper shower is a novelty but an outdoor bathroom is not conducive to spending long amounts of time outside in the evening given mosquitoes etc. You are away from the action - you can't really walk anywhere of interest. There are no tvs, music dock etc. so I'm not sure how long you would want to stay there with kids? (I don't have kids, so may be wrong here). We mixed our stay at Bambu Indah with a 'traditional' swanky villa stay in Seminyak which has given us a perfect combo of relaxation and accommodation styles.

I would definitely go back if ever in Ubud again.

Room Tip: Padi and Africa have best views. But all rooms seemed to have their good points!! Loved the one whic...
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Bambu Indah is the place to go to unwind and reconnect with nature. The grounds are lush, green and beautiful and there are only 11 traditional "huts" or houses so you really have to book early to get the ones with the better views (Padi and Africa has the best views FYI) I stayed at Padi House and you can see the padi fields and the natural "pool" is right outside my hut! The staff were really sweet too, to decorate the porch with flowers that read "Honeymoon" :) The first night there was quite eventful as we were woken up in the middle of the night as the roof was leaking during a storm! The staff came soon after we called them and we had to move to another hut for the night in almost pitch darkness (quite an adventure, I must say). They fixed our roof the next day and they had to fix the toilet as well (couldn't flush). When we arrived, the staff explained in great detail about the high-tech japanese toilet but the butt-cleaning functions of the toilet never did work (before and after the repair). Other than this 2 hiccups, we still enjoyed our stay there. Lovely place.

Room Tip: Choose Africa House and Padi House if you want a good view
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Bambu Indah reminds one of traditional living in Southeast Asia. Guests room in beautifully restored Javanese houses and the pond/swimming pool was amazing. I stayed in the Padi House and lying on my porch with a book in hand, watching the sun set was one of the most unforgettable experiences I have had. Travelling to Ubud was extremely cheap too because I rented the scooter.

I highly recommend this place if you are looking for something different and is ready to be blown away.

Room Tip: The Padi and Africa houses are the most expensive for a reason - they have the most stunning view of...
hongkong
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Not sure that I should share this review as I think Bambuh Indah should remain a well kept secret...however...I just had the magical experience of being there for my daughter's wedding...it was the most magnificent, intimate, beautiful backdrop...a rice fields view in the glow of a Balinese sunset. We had the place to ourselves and our wedding guests as there are only 11 houses in the resort. Staying in Jawa Lama house provided all the facilities of a 5 star resort but with the ambience of a 1000 year old Javanese wedding house complete with squeaky floorboards. If you love nature, Bambuh Indah is for you...our house had a view of the jungle and rice fields below. The beds are securely netted from mosquitoes. The staff are typically friendly Balinese and did everything they could to provide us all with a happy experience...the food was deliciously home grown. Thank you for the memories Bambuh Indah.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank anne h
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2012

When people ask me about my trip to Bali, the first word out of my mouth is "Paradise!" And when I think of my trip to Bali, I think first of Bambu Indah, where we stayed for nine beautiful days. Each of the cottages is unique - ours was surrounded by a pond inhabited by about 20 very happy Koi fish. Every small detail, from the organic bath products, to the Balinese home cooking, to the fresh crisp linens and the warm friendly service, makes Bambu Indah a perfect destination for families, couples, and solo travelers.

You'll feel very cool cruising down Hanuman St in Ubud in one of Bambu Indah's custom painted scooters. The pool is a delight, and they seem to cater to every taste, from yogis to foodies to The ultimate green travelers.

I recommend Bambu Indah 100% and I surely hope to stay there again soon!

Special tip: try the brown rice muffins at breakfast!

Room Tip: All of the rooms that we saw were unique and wonderful - you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in late May and it was fantastic. Another world perhaps. Don't just think about staying here, do it! It may cost a little more than some places but when you see it for real, you won't be disappointed, it really is as good as it looks. 5 star luxury camping? Peaceful, Sceinic, back to nature, Basically unbelievable is what it is. Cant wait to visit again. After a month in various parts of Bali this place has been imprinted in our minds and souls!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple