“Good value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sri Sunari Guest House
Ranked #181 of 542 Ubud B&B and Inns
Prague
“Good value”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed in Sri Sunari for 5 nights at the end of October. The guest house is beautifully built with nice landscaping and a relaxing pool to dip in at the end of a long day of exploring around Ubud. All of the four rooms are airy, spacious, and beautifully appointed, but the upstairs rooms do provide a measure of privacy, plus you get the full benefit of the breeze coming off the rice fields in the afternoons. It is true that air conditioning is really not needed in Ubud if you get access to a little breeze.
As other reviewers have pointed out, it is quite removed from the town itself. The nearest restaurant is probably 1 km away, although the main restaurant and cafe area of Ubud is further. It would be OK if there was a sidewalk to walk on, but you are forced to walk on the road itself. We solved the problem by renting a scooter from Nyoman, the manager, which is quite affordable at about 6 USD per day. Riding around in a scooter isn't for everyone, but if you are OK with it, it makes Sri Sunari's isolation a non-factor.
The staff is lovely and do their best to help but asides from Nyoman, they speak almost no English. We only saw Nyoman 2 or 3 times the whole time we were there, and this was only in passing. Consequently we had to figure out everything on our own. Other reviewers have mentioned how helpful Nyoman was, I hope he goes back to making himself more available to his guests than when we were there.
The views from the upstairs rooms are nice, although they are building something between the guest house and the rice fields, so the view will be partially obscured. Looking out on the other side though, it is still wide open.
All in all I consider Sri Sunari a great value when you consider the rates, the beautiful layout, the great rooms, and the peaceful setting. If you can live with the "cons" mentioned, then book it by all means.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms receive more breeze and are more private
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JmanPrague

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have to say I had a hard time writing this review. I wanted to be completely honest, so everyone has a good picture of what its like.
I stayed for 10 the end of September. I am a single woman. Nyoman picked me up at the airport. It is more expensive than if you were to get a taxi on your own but worth it. I walked out of the airport and there he was with my name on a sign. No problems or time wasted. Worth it.
Pros...
Beautiful property... although they are building another guesthouse in the field next door...so that is what the view will be next year.
They are building a massage area, so that you won't have to get massages in your room...I myself don't like massages in my room. There are plenty of excellent spas in town...check trip advisor...you can call from the resort, and the spa will pick up and drop you off where ever you want. Awesome.
The balcony was big and really great. Loved it.
Free wifi..that was great for me, as there isn't alot to do at night... Just ask them to turn it on.
Breakfast was ok. Not alot of choices...but I enjoyed the banana pancakes for the first few days. Fruit was good.
The Cons.
The guesthouse is actually quite far from where you would typically walk and shop. I went to the yoga barn every day, and it is a brisk 35 minute walk. Yes it 10 minutes to town...but certainly not town centre, or to Monkey forest road, where alot of shopping is, and resturants, thats a half hour. For a couple of days this was ok...but it got tired. They will give you a ride on the scooter if they are available at no charge, and this was helpful...but coming back you would typically get a taxi, and I never found it to be the 3000 rupiah that Nyoman said it should cost...it was about $3.00 for a scooter and $5.50 for the taxi.
I had a tour by Nyoman. I asked the price and he didn't tell me...implying not to worry. I also got a tour by a man he recommended Gede. I should have asked the cost at the beginning, and I didn't (I know not the smartest), but Nyoman instilles a feeling of trust and fairness in your dealings with him. Gede way overcharged. Nyoman also overcharged. I also arranged to get a ride by Nyoman to a town about an hour away. Before we left, he wanted to charge 300,000 rupiah. I had got a quote from someone in town and the going rate was 200,000 rupiah. I told him this and he said that he thought I wanted to help. This left me feeling a bit cheated. He was quite cold to me after that.
I also felt a little pressured to go to Wild Ginger. Its ok. I found the prices fair, compared to other restaurants in town. It may be cheap by our standards...but for Bali standards...about comparable...
Also... the whole time I was there there was hammering and alot of noise from 8am to 5pm.Due to the new massage hut. Not relaxing. The building should be done sometime next year.
The farmer is indeed very loud in the morning...but not as bad as the extremely loud barking dogs..non stop sometimes. I loved the frog noise.
The street. I am adventurous. I don't mind a little danger. The street however...is very busy. No sidewalks. No light at night. You really are kind of risking your life. I would not travel at night on foot.
The path from the street to the guesthouse is fine... I love dogs... but the dogs which are at the start of the bath are very territorial, and act like they will bite you. They bare their teeth and go after you. Not good.
I just want to recommend a wonderful cafe in Ubud...Kafe.. Its wonderful. Free wifi and fantastic coffee and healthy, yet delish food.
I wouldn't really stay at the guesthouse again. There are lots of better located ones off Monkey road, reasonable prices and just as good.
It would be fine for 1 or 2 nights.

Room Tip: Definitly get a balcony room. Organize tours in town, and if you need to go to another town.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
8 Thank orchickie
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed a week at Sri Sunari and thought it was lovely. Located a little way out of the centre of Ubud (about a 15 min walk or a couple of minutes by car or scooter). There were only 4 rooms two up and two down each with its own balcony or patio. Breakfast came with the room and was delivered at a time of your choosing so no problems with sleeping in late or heading off on day tours etc early (we did both very successfully). The pool here is delightful and despite the mountain coolness in the evening I still managed a swim 3 times a day with a late night dip before bed on most evenings. The staff were lovely. The were consistently polite and helpful with Dewar the mainstay and more recently Agung as key helper and cook. Nyoman the manager also takes on the role of tour adviser and driver if you want to see more of the area. His english is very good and it doesnt take long to be treated as if you are one of the family especially if you visit Wild Ginger a little restaruant/warung in Ubud run by his wife Putu. Putu's special sauce dishes are definitely worth a try. We had an upstairs room and we found it very comfortable with fan cooling (enough for Ubud weather) and a lovely large balcony with views out over the pool and rice paddies. The toilet is a two tiered affair but you soon figure it out and while there is hot water the shower is gravity fed and the water pressure isn't great and my wife opted for the comfortable large bath. A massage room was being built when we were there and should soon be completed and although you could arrange for massage in your room a well set-up massage room will improve the facilities. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: The two upstairs rooms are more private and have a broader view over the rice paddies so the extra s...
UK
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My Partner and I stayed at Sri Sunari at the beginning of October for two nights. Our room on the ground floor was lovely, very large, with a nice big comfortable bed. Sri Sunari has a relaxed feel and, as it is just outside of the main centre in Ubud, it is peaceful and quiet. The Manager and tour guide (Nyoman) was extremely helpful. He took us on a one-day tour of Ubud. We visited a beautiful temple, Holy springs, coffee plantation (where we sampled the famous Luwak coffee) and he also took us to the spectacular rice paddies.

We had dinner at Wild Ginger and, like many other reviews, we would definitely recommend eating here. The food is cooked by Nyoman’s Wife and was delicious and very cheap!

One word of caution, for people who like a lie in, a farmer in a neighbouring field woke us up at 6am on both mornings, shouting “HAAA,HOOO,HIIIIYAAAAA” to scare the birds away from his crops! However don’t let this deter you because on the whole, Sri Sunari is a relaxing place to stay and is very good value for money for somewhere to close to Ubud centre.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floor are more private and have better view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JK1Uk
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon and loved every second. The rooms are spacious, the breakfast delicious and the staff lovely. The location and scenery are fabulous and the prices very reasonable. We would love to go back.

1 Thank Sarah B
London
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Lovely small guest house, we had a room on the upstairs with lovely private balcony overlooking the pool, and rice fields. Very clean, and the staff were great. Polite and helpful, especially Nyoman, who picked us up from the airport, and also drove us to his wife's restaurant, wild ginger - (fantastic meal, very very tatsy, and cheap, made us feel so welcome)

The hotel as others have said is a walk from Ubud centre, reccomend a torch at night i your gonna brave it, as no street lights for part of the road near the guest house.

The frogs/ducks etc are noisy, so if it bothers you take some ear plugs ( i did!) but its a far cry from the crazyness of Ubud centre, with its traffic chaos etc...

Breakfast is lovely - and served each morning on your balcony. We had a fun walk through the rice fields, just following the path, and a bit of leaping and jumping over the soggy bits, great fun.

Highly reccommend this guest house

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank JUhols
Barcelona
Reviewed October 1, 2011

we stayed at Sri Sunari one week and it was a good choice.
Our room was upstairs and we had breakfast everyday in front of rice fields, so nice.
The team was always helpful, the room was clean with basic comforts, bed was very comfortable and enjoying the pool was super.

The only but for us... the house is not in Ubud centre, it's at the end of a dark passage and there were always dogs barking at us when we arrived at night, so it was bit stressful for a fear-dog couple like us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the upper floor for views over the rice fields
1 Thank CMS_08_2008