“Great guesthouse with a pool!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sri Sunari Guest House
Ranked #252 of 640 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was fantastic. Great staff and rooms, clean, friendly and has a great pool. The breakfast is awesome with fruits, banana pancakes and ginger tea.

The location is pretty good, for some people the walk in the dark back from ubud maybe a little too much but either way you can organize a taxi at any time. The location does give the 4 room house a lovely backdrop though, its in the middle of duck/frog filled rice paddies.

Wild ginger owned by Nyoman's wife Putu produces some amazing local food for good prices also.

We would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 7, 2011

This is a quiet retreat in the rice fields, with lovely gardens, salt water pool and very friendly owner. The rooms don't have aircon but that wasn't a problem as the ceiling fan was fine. Surprisingly few mosquitos considering the location, which is good as the rooms aren't as 'bug tight' as some westerners might expect. The nightly chorus of frogs was at first distracting but we soon found it endearing.
I would highly recomend this place

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Becquerel235
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Best place we stayed while in Bali.
Pros:
Set among rice paddies
Large, but private veranda for upstairs rooms
Tastefully furnished
Tasty breakfast including Large and varied fruit salad, choice of main (pancake, eggs, sandwich)
Short walk into town (10-15 min), or an approx $3 cab ride
Staff was super nice, eager to help with everything
Grounds include pool that was clean and great temperature
Fan plus ample windows meant we were never hot in the room

Cons (keep in mind that you are going to Bali when considering)
Weak water pressure

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank ILike2TravelHeaps
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My partner and I were travelling with my 14 year old son, Frankie. One of the greatest things about Sri Sunari was meeting the people who looked after us - Nyoman and Putu, the owners, and Made and Kadek who were working there. We highly recommend Sri Sunari to travellers who like quiet places to be - and especially, travellers with a lone teenager. Frankie was welcomed wholeheartedly at Sri Sunari, was taken on safe scooter rides with Nyoman and Made and treated like part of the family. We were all made very welcome at Putu's Wild Ginger Cafe, a short walk away, and we often met there after different activities. This made all the difference to our enjoyment of the very beautiful rooms and environment of Sri Sunari. To add to this, the breakfasts were delicious, the service was fabulous and the pool beautiful. And we highly recommend the traditional Balinese massages we were offered at Sri Sunari by Wayan, who visited us regularly during our 5 night stay. We found Sri Sunari delightful, accessible and very special and feel that it gave us a place to return to, and send our older children to, in Bali. Thank you very much, Nyoman and Putu, for your generosity and friendship.

Room Tip: We had upstairs/downstairs spacious elegant rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Sri Sunari is a piece of paradise. Lovely rooms with comfortable verandas. The pool is salt instead of chlorinated, which is delightful. It is just far enough from the Ubud hubbub to be peaceful but close enough to have easy access. The views across the rice fields are mesmerizing. And the gardens are charming.

Nyoman, the owner, is wonderful, and so are his on-site staff, Made and Kade. Breakfast is delightful and on the day i decided to stay "home" I was able to have a lovely lunch delivered. Made and I had a slight miscommunication the night he took me to town for a Women's Gamelon and Children's dance performance: I thought I was to call him for ride home afterwards, but he came down to meet me -- and we looked all over the place for one another until I finally realized the helmeted guy on the motor bike was Made! He was very patient....

I hope to return many times, and will always plan ahead better so that I can be sure to stay here.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floor have better views.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Susanruddy
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying here in 2009 with no issues and really enjoyed myself. This time around my experience wasn't as great as the first time due to two things: 1. 800,000 rph ($85 US) was missing from my suitcase. Granted the guidelines at Sri Sunari reccommend locking up your money. In 2009, I didn't have this problem. Granted, it wasn"t like I had my money out laying around but it was easy accesible due to the location in my suitcase. I didn't realize the money was missing until Sunday night when I needed to pay for a dinner. I am glad the place I did dine at accepted my credit card.

Anytime you leave the guesthouse, they reccommend that you leave your room key. Not a problem there. I left my room key. Everyday, my bed was remade (after I made it) and items in the room were rearranged. I didn't think any of it until I went to count my money. So I was disappointed to realize that some money had been taken. I guess the person that helped themselves to it must have really needed it. At least they didn't replace it with copies of rupiah. LOL

2. There was a slight miscommunication with my transport back to the airport so I made sure that my bill in order and was able to make cheaper arrangements with another taxi provider back to the airport. I know by the time the bill was being discussed on top of money missing, I had had enough and decided to leave the guesthouse and was extremely early for my flight. I missed out on eating at Wild Ginger (one last time) due to not having enough rph (the theft) and knowing I needed to get back to the airport. You live and you learn.

Overall, my experience in Bali was fine. I had the opportunity to eat at the manager's wifes' restaurant, Wild Ginger my second night there. The food is very delicious and extremely reasonable.

Sri Sunari is a nice and reasonable place to stay however don't be as trusting and carry your money with you at all times. The location is good because you are far enough out of the center of the "city" and you can enjoy the serene atmosphere and nice rice paddies.

These two events don't put a negative light on my trip but they do make me realize that I have to be a little more careful and not so trusting.

Would I stay there again? Probably. Will I leave my money in my room? Never again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Videosoul
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Could have stayed forever.
My husband and I were in Bali for a wedding and started our trip staying at a resort in Nusa Dua. The resort was lovely but lacked the local charm.
We then moved to Sri Sunari and wished we had been there all along. From the moment we walked from the main road down the little path past rice fields where people would smile and greet us we knew this was a slice of heaven.
We had an upstairs room that I would highly recommend not least of all for its outside living space that looks out over rice fields - breakfast out here was wonderful and cannot decide if the view or the food was better.
The hospitality of all the staff was a true testament to the people of Bali and nothing was too much trouble. We did walk into town (Ubud) and yes the road has no footpath but we never felt in danger. If you are going to be walking back late at night ask to borrow a flashlight as there is very little street lighting.
We had booked a driver before arriving in Bali and would highly recommend him -his name is Ari and this is his weblink - http://www.ubuddriver.com - he lives just outside Ubud and his knowledge and love of Bali is both amazing and infectious.
I would recommend the Dirty Duck in Ubud for dinner as the food was great and they have a free shuttle that will pick you up and return you to Sri Sunari. We also ate at Cafe Wayan in Ubud and the food was delicious.
If you are looking for nightclubs and noise this is not the place for you but if you are looking for serenity, calm and impeccable service you've found it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple