“Stayed twice now and returning next month, love it!”

Kamuela Villas and Suite Sanur
Ranked #2 of 145 Specialty Lodging in Sanur
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed in top floor suite 228 in December 2012 and I stayed with a friend in top floor twin suite 230 in March 2013. Kamuela have suites and one, two and three bedroom villa's with private pools and a good sized shared pool for all guests. I have only stayed in the suites, not the villa's. The suites are perfect for me!

The suites are huge, have great air conditioning and have very comfy beds with very good quality linens. The curtains are thick and block out any light, so you wake when your ready, not from sunlight. The couch is very comfortable too, the kind you can curl up on. The room didn't come with a DVD player but both times, we asked for one, (mainly to play music on) and it was installed free of charge for our stay. The private terrace/balcony has a large jacuzzi spa which my husband and I used a few times. The bathroom is stocked with complimentary toiletries and I love using their peppermint body wash. Breakfast is good, the wifi works well In the rooms, restaurant and by the pool, which is something that is very important for me now. The pool and pool area is lovely and has very nice small hotel feel. There are not that many lounges but I have never had trouble getting one. I think that most people staying in the villa's use their villa pool.

I Also love the inclusions, like complimentary afternoon tea, complimentary drinks at happy hour, (beer, wine and selected cocktails) served with complimentary canapés, a few bottles of water in room for each guest daily and turn down service. They have a couple of shuttles and a driver was always happy to drop us at Hardy's and then pick us up at a later arranged time. The room rate was approximately $100 per night for all that! Not beach front but is situated next door to the Puri Santrian, which you can cut through to get to the beach. The Kamuela also has some lounges on the beach about a five minute walk to the left of The Puri Santrian's beachfront for the use of Kamuela guests.

The spa is semi outdoors and I have enjoyed a couple of very relaxing massages there. The price for massages is a bit higher than some places, around 160,000rp when I was there but I thought they were worth it.

I found the staff to be genuinely very friendly and nothing was ever too much trouble, which is another reason why I am going back there with my mum next month and I can't wait! My 19 year old daughter and her boyfriend will be staying there the week before us for their first time too. I'm looking forward to another relaxing stay :)

Room Tip: I prefer top floor suites
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gabbyo
Kamuela S, General Manager at Kamuela Villas and Suite Sanur, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hi Gab,

Thank you very much for your best review, will meet you soon ya..big hug from all your family here..

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here for 2N/3D and received an upgrade to a villa (from the hotel suites). We stayed at Villa 1, which is located next to the restaurant and main pool. The sleep quality poor, we could hear people walking at 2am in the morning.

Villa - It's a very natural villa with a private pool and a nice garden, some statues here and there. A bit too dark for my taste. The villa itself looks a bit rundown.
Service - I could say that the staff hospitality was very good, an Aston standard. They have afternoon tea & snacks which is nice.
Breakfast - The breakfast was just okay, but they couldn't get the eggs right, always overcooked.
Beach access - There is no direct access to the beach, but still in walkable area around 1Km.
Spa - The spa was just okay, but not superb. However, if you compare to the price, it is suitable.

Overall, our stay here was okay, but if we go back to Sanur we will try other hotels.

Room Tip: Avoid Villa 1, very noisy.
1  Thank sberryjubilee
Kamuela S, General Manager at Kamuela Villas and Suite Sanur, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Hi sberryjubilee,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We do appreciate your constructive feedback and have shared it with our management and teams. It is very positive for us that you have raised Villa 1. Refurbishment has been planned in the past few months and has now been pushed to have it completed by early November.

Through constructive feedback we are able to concentrate on finer details in guest satisfaction in order for us to focus our attention on constantly striving to exceed guest expectations.

I was happy to hear your positive feedback that the staff hospitality was very good, and Aston standard and you also liked the afternoon tea and snacks, we greatly appreciated your comment.

I sincerely hope you will extend us with another opportunity as it would be my pleasure to personally welcome you back.

Warm regards

Rihendra Putra

Reviewed October 1, 2013

First time at Kamuela and can't wait to get back! Suite was amazing and very clean. Breakfast bought to your suite at no extra cost is a plus! Second floor suites are better than ground floor because you have an open area. Very quite and peaceful place. A perfect place to stay !

Room Tip: Ask for second floor suites,
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Natasha F

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for your great review regarding our suite room and happy to know you enjoyed your stay, next time you must try our one bedroom pool villa which more private and more romantic, see you soon in the next future.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I wanted to love this place but was left very disappointed.

We booked 5 nights in a 1 bedroom Villa for my husband and I (we are australian). I was tossing up between a hotel suite of villa but given we were staying most of the week I though I'd treat ourselves (approx $170 per night compared to $115 for a suite). Of our 2 weeks stay in Bali this was our last stop and the most expensive of all the villas/ B&Bs we stayed at.

Bad Points:
-Mosquitos!!! Our bathroom was missing the door to the outside shower and the door to the bedroom had a big gap - first morning I woke up with bites all over me.
-CD player didn't work and when we advised the staff on the first day they confirmed it was broken but there was nothing they could do about it (no offer to replace/fix it).
-We were in Villa 1 - RIGHT next to the restaurant/pool which made it hard to sleep with the talking and music
-House keeping came and cleared our afternoon tea cups but left our welcome drink glasses until another day later.
-TV Reception was fuzzy (TV really small as well for the price of the Villa)
-Wifi in Villa extremely slow (faster in main hotel)
-When we asked on the second day if we could checkout and go elsewhere we were told we couldn't without paying for the whole stay...
-My husbands eggs were under cooked every day (despite trying different types)
-Villa not as nice as the photos
-The one meal we had the the restaurant was not enjoyable (dessert - apple pie)

Good Points:
-The grounds are kept beautifully and it is a very pretty place - restaurant /cafe very inviting looking
-The staff organised a mozzie net for our bed (however it didn't solve the issue of getting bitten when not in bed)
-Good location
-Clean (although kitchen in villas are tired looking)

The hotel allowed us to downgrade to a suite due to the issues we were having with out villa and the suite was quite nice - however the bathroom absolutely stunk of sewerage it was disgusting. The outside spa was lovely and bed etc nice but we were glad to get the hell out of there because of the smell!

I was very surprised with out experience given the reviews on here & we aren't really very picky people.

Bottom line is you can do better for the money in Bali - the hotel next door seems much nicer, we went there for meals almost every day and it has a beautiful outlook onto the beach (Kamuela has no beach access so you have to walk through the one next door anyways).

Room Tip: Avoid villa number 1(run down / missing door to bathroom /noisy ) -and stay at another hotel!
2  Thank myboyfriendsanerd
Kamuela S, General Manager at Kamuela Villas and Suite Sanur, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you myboyfriendsanerd for your review, I regret that we did not meet with your expectations, however I am happy to hear that you experienced good points also. The staff at the Kamuela have been highly complimented for their continued high level of customer service, thank you for recognizing the cleanliness of our rooms which are cleaned every day top to bottom with a turn down service each night,

The highlighting of your concerns of Villa 1 has been very positive for us. For the past six months negotiations have been underway for the refurbishment of Villa 1. Your feedback in fact has highlighted the urgent need for it to be done. It is now expected to be finished at the end of November.

Your issue of the Wi Fi is confusing, as many guests have been very complimentary of the speed in which it works.

Please be assured that we have investigated your concerns on the restaurant further. Regarding the under cooked eggs, did you mention this to the staff at the time?

I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future, perhaps with a more private and intimate stay in a Villa. Should you have any further concerns or compliments feel free to email me.

Thanks again and all the best.

Rihendra Putra

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We have stayed at Kamuela Villas twice. Next time in Sanur, Kamuela will again be our choice.
Located at the quieter end of Sanur Beach, these villas are on a very quiet road, Jalan Cemara, but have all the necessary facilities either in-house or nearby for the perfect stay.
Money changers across the road offer very competitive rates of exchange, either with commission, or (our preference) no commission.
We have used cash everywhere, and received best prices. We avoided the rush and bustle and craziness of Kuta. Our Bali shopping was done at fixed price either at the nearby Hardy's Supermarket, or at the upmarket but inexpensive Galleria complex on the Sanur Bypass Road about 15 minutes away by taxi (70,000) Rupiah. Highly recommended.

This is Bali at its best.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank redcentre

Hi RedCentre,

Thank you very much for your review and very happy to read it, will be glad to serve you again in next future.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I'm writing this review on the second day of our 5 day stay here in Kamuela, and i have to say that the villa we booked is not up to standards. We booked this hotel based on the very positive reviews as well as the pictures and villa layout map om the hotel website. After a not very warm and welcoming check in we were led to our villa. The villa we got (nr 1) doesn't resemble this layout at all. It is cramped, without a sundeck with sunloungers. We had to asked for these, and put them in the covered loungingarea, which means no sun, but still a place to line down and dry up after a swim in the private pool.

What bothers me the most is the fact that the villa is very worn and not clean at all. The are stains on the furniture, walls and floors. The wooden floor in the bedroom shows signs of rotting and cracking. The lamp in the loungingarea is broken and the radio simply doesn,t work. The bathtuv has cracks in it and a leaking showerhead, the open air shower is covered by dirty woodwork and plastic sheets, repairs which have been done are badly executed, and the list goes on and on.

Finally the villa is far from quiet and private. We can hear our neighbours in our bedroom, behind our villa must be soms sort of parking because we hear motors and people taling all day and at night you can hear music from all corners. Not really the peacuful environment you hope for when booking a villa.

After having such a wonderful villa experience at the Ubud Village Resort we weer very much looking forward to Kamuela, so this is a very big let down especially since these are the last few days of our vacation. I'm sorry to say that is a hotel i can not recommend.

On a positive note, the staff is very friendly.

3  Thank Anouk M
Kamuela S, General Manager at Kamuela Villas and Suite Sanur, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Hi Anouk,

Thank you for your time to write this review, very sad to read it and very disappointing can't meet you during your stay for solve the problem, I already follow up with our front office staff regarding your stay and get the fact you ask for early check out due to family reason in your country and you not mentioned regarding our villa beyond your expectation, this situation made our staff not tell me when you decide to check out or even offer the solution if you mentioned have problem with your current villa.
Some time guest have their subjective expectation and this problem can solve when we can communicate, I can offer move to other villa or move to our sister company which can match with the expectation.
Please apologize if our villa beyond your expectation, very appreciate all your input and I will make sure all the suggestion will be follow up and action to make better service in the future. Our commitment to always give best service to all our guest.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We booked Kamuela Sanur as a filler night due to not being able to stay where we wanted for a full week. In the end this resort turned out to be so much nicer than our first choice. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a villa and I can honestly say that i have never stayed in such a beautiful hotel. We had our own small pool, lounge and kitchen as well as a walled garden.
The people working there were all very friendly and helpful, food was great and the main pool by the bar was very nice to swim in - not too much chlorine like some other hotel pools.
Our 8 year old son also enjoyed his stay - I just hope that he has not come to expect this kind of luxury!

Room Tip: Go for a villa if you can afford the extra cost
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hi Joel,

Thank you for your great review and very happy to read it, glad to know you enjoyed your one bed room pool villa and our staff serve you with well, will be happy to serve you again in the next future.